Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

This One's For Tieguy

Page: 1 of 1
 Lord JayVizIon
08-01-2001, 6:36 PM
TIE,
courtesy of compa mighty and me.....

a screenshot of an AERIAL, yes, AN AERIAL fight in starcraft. if they could do this with blizzard, you can bet this is gonna be on swgb.....

http://www.blizzard.com/starcraft/popup/ss04.htm) (http://)
 Darth_Rommel
08-01-2001, 6:38 PM
Uh... the link doesn't work :(
 Lord JayVizIon
08-01-2001, 6:54 PM
dammit, this better work,

protoss fighters vs. terran valkyries.....

http://www.blizzard.com/broodwar/popup/ss01.htm)
 Telephius
08-01-2001, 7:58 PM
the forst link you have an extra </a> in the end of it
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 8:00 PM
Hey Lord JayVizIon is Compa any good at SC?
 Tie Guy
08-01-2001, 8:01 PM
That should matter all that much, the link is still the same, just the adress must be messed up.

Anyways, i hate to break it too and be all cynical, but this ain't Starcraft, or even based on StarCraft. This is based on AOK, but that doesn't have ground units. Therefore, you don't know what to expect.
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 8:04 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
That should matter all that much, the link is still the same, just the adress must be messed up.

Anyways, i hate to break it too and be all cynical, but this ain't Starcraft, or even based on StarCraft. This is based on AOK, but that doesn't have ground units. Therefore, you don't know what to expect.
Are you talking to me?
 Telephius
08-01-2001, 8:06 PM
it does matter for it to work I took it out and I saw the picture codin languages can get picky
 Tie Guy
08-01-2001, 8:41 PM
Oh, well i was talking to Jy about the fact that there might not be air battles in this game, despite the fact they they are in StarCraft. After all, this isn't based on StarCraft, but it is based on AOK. So it could turn out either way.
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 8:44 PM
Oh, I see.
It's been a long day, I got all confused :(
 Lord JayVizIon
08-01-2001, 8:54 PM
kvan, i don't know if compa is any good at starcraft, but he mailed me and told me to send a pic of an aerial attack to prove to tie that air battles in rts have been done before.

well, it's up to lucasarts, but i think they know that we all want air battles to take place. granted, the focus will be on the ground. starcraft battles WERE ALWAYS focused on the ground. air units just support ground units in accomplishing goals. i would be pissed to make an air unit with it's only use of chasing around a jedi and shooting it. heck, might as well make more jedis instead of air units.....
 Compa_Mighty
08-01-2001, 9:16 PM
But Jay said in another post blue_myrdin had told him there would be aerial battles. I'm trying to find that post.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 9:34 AM
Jay, i played Star Craft a lot a while back with a friend, but it seemed to lose it's appeal to me after a while (now that i think of it...i didn't mention Starcraft as one of the non-SW games I own)

air-battles in GB will be working both ways, i'm sure: ground-support AND air-battles.
you know it makes sense.
 JediMasterEd
08-02-2001, 2:35 PM
i've also played sc before an i hated the population limit of 200 when battlecruisers took up 8 units. i think swgb shouldn't have a limit to how many people you've got. this way, you'll be able to raise an army of soldiers over 1000.
 Lord JayVizIon
08-02-2001, 3:21 PM
i hope the pop. cap goes to around 1000. but i think based on the game, the pop cap may be 200. just remember that all of the units plus their artistic detail already takes up a lot, and it's also based on the AoK engine. and yes, i think air units have both air and ground attacks.......
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 3:28 PM
Well, in Mr. Fixit's review it said that the Snowspeeder was an anti mech aircraft, meaning it must be air to ground. And I can't imagine A TIE Bomber NOT attacking the ground.

And Vice-versa, I can't imagine an xwing not being able to attack a TIE fighter, so I'm banking on air to air combat as well.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 3:33 PM
it'll all be as logical as possible... you'll see.
i wonder if the tweaks Lucasarts did to the whole 'flying units-feature' has limited the pop-limit any further..
 Havoc Stryphe
08-02-2001, 3:35 PM
I hope not! I want more larger scale combat as it is! ;)
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 4:18 PM
I doubt it. I mean, why would adding air units further limit it. I think that they could make it 10000 if they wanted too, but in AOK they wanted it to be more strategic.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 4:21 PM
10000 is probably stretching it way too far, but keep in mind that in AOK the only flying units were two / three birds. on the whole map.
now you're talking about whole fighter-armies..
 Lord JayVizIon
08-02-2001, 4:23 PM
10000, wow! that's a lil too much, 1000 would be nice.
 Tie Guy
08-02-2001, 4:39 PM
I was exagerating, but you know what i mean. :D

BTW, Why would fighter armies be any different than normal armies? They just be floating instead. They count towards your limit, but why would they decrease it?
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 4:45 PM
with flying units, you are also calculating if they are on the ground or in the air. that takes a bit more processor power.
my guess, at least..
Page: 1 of 1