Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Movie Reviews

Page: 1 of 1
 yaebginn
08-09-2004, 8:15 PM
Alright, this thread is for people to review movies. I'd prefer for it to stay with those in theatres or that have just been released on video, so movies that are older than that should only be reviewed if someones asks about it. Example-

Collateral (starring tom cruise and jamie foxx) is within limits,cause its in theatres.

Indianna Jones- only can be reviewed if someone goes like, ' can anyone tell me if Indianna Jones is any good' or something like that. I havent been to the movies recently , so its up to one of you guys to start the reviews. dont summarize the movie ,cause that can ruin the movie, but just say how you like it and why or why not, if saying so doenst ruin the movie.
 BurnsU
08-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Ok heres one:

The Village:

Very dissapointing. In fact I found it funny how after the movie was over, everyone was just sitting in disbelief of how crappy it was, you should've seen the looks on their faces :rolleyes:

Imagine a Stephen King movie.

Now imagine it half as long with a couple BAD plot twists and a crappy ending.

Believe me, you are going to see a completely different movie than what you expect.

Rating: 3/10
 ET Warrior
08-09-2004, 10:26 PM
The Village: AWESOME movie, typical M.Night Shyamalan movie. Good suspense, neat idea, very cool cinematic style.
The best part of the movie is the parallels and symbolism it has to religion and politics will REALLY make you think a few days after you saw it.

It also has some moments where I was absolutely scared out of control.

8/10
 yaebginn
08-09-2004, 10:35 PM
ok, so thats two, one good and one bad. That seems to be a movie whether you love it or hate it. My bro liked it, my moms friends daughter hated it. I am gonna see it this coming weekend. Thanx
 DieStarWarsGeek
08-10-2004, 1:10 AM
I saw 2 movies in the past week:

Shaolin Soccer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/shaolin_soccer/viewingpage.html)
This movie was made in China a couple years ago and finally got released in the U.S. It's Hong Kong Kung Fu movie meets underdog soccer movie, and fantastically done, I was laughing the whole way through. Impressive effects and you just can't help but laugh at a lot of the random humor of Chinese Pop culture. It's playing in very select theatres, but probably on video soon...

my rating, *8/10*

Napoleon Dynamite (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/napoleon_dynamite.html)
Now this movie was just F'n funny. Instantly became one of my favorite movies. It deals with high school social structures, outcasts, weird small town america, but most of all how funny dorky people can be. I laughed LITERALLY the entire movie. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. All I will say is the last 10 minutes has one of the funniest movie moments I have ever seen.. Hilarious acting and an exceptional soundtrack of old 70's and 80's songs.. Simply FANTASTICO

my rating, *9.5/10*
 yaebginn
08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
I wanna see Napoleon Dynomite so bad, it looks hilarious.
 Alegis
08-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by yaebginn
ok, so thats two, one good and one bad. That seems to be a movie whether you love it or hate it. My bro liked it, my moms friends daughter hated it. I am gonna see it this coming weekend. Thanx
Quanitity should never get a strong point on a limited board.
Ive seen a few bad forum reviews i thought it was bad, but then others saying it was great and the bad come because they expected something else. i would see it were i in the theaters
 DieStarWarsGeek
08-12-2004, 1:29 PM
I saw Napoleon Dynamite again last night... just wanted to share that :cool:
 Jaden Malip
08-12-2004, 2:04 PM
I thought I, Robot was good. I saw it when I went to Florida, its not out in the UK yet.

Can someone else write a review, cos I'm really bad at writing them. (D- in an english exam!)
 yaebginn
08-12-2004, 6:55 PM
Spiderman 2- A really good movie. I saw it twice actually, and while some say its as good the second time around, I disagree. A lot the movie is built on suspence, so its not as good the second time, but man. The first time it was really good. Good special effects and good acting. It also builds up for a third spiderman film.

Oh, and I'm gonna probly see the Village this weekend, and I'll tell you how I thought of it. I want to now see Napoleon Dynomite and Collateral.
 Mango Fett
08-12-2004, 9:02 PM
I robot was good. The mystery of the whole scientist death and the whole homocide buisness. It is a little surprising though how he "kiilled himself".Its a little different then what you see on the comercials though.:deathii:
 Virtuosis
08-12-2004, 9:05 PM
Saw Napoleon Dynamite. I didn't think it was very good, there were some very funny parts. But I thought the movie was overall very boring. The funny parts were great, but they were few and far between. On the other hand all my friends love the movie and say I'm stupid for not thinking its the funniest movie ever. But thats just my opinion, I really don't like it though.
 Jaden Malip
08-12-2004, 9:37 PM
Kung Pow is a good film, I saw it with some friends and we were rolling around laughing. You have to watch it with friends though, or else it just isn't funny.

For those who don't know, they got this Kung Fu film, changed the main character and redubbed everything so it completely changes it.
 yaebginn
08-15-2004, 10:36 PM
The Village.

I just saw the Village half an hour ago or so. Great movie. Very well thought out. But it was too hyped up. It was made to be too complicated. My friend actually guessed the ending unintentionally without knowing he had guessed it at the very very beginning. I'd give it a 7/10
 Sharpshooter
08-16-2004, 2:30 PM
Saw the Village this Weekend with Yaebe! Yes I did guess right of the bat. Comes from the skill of being a movie and tv person besides other things. The interesting thing was that it was so simple it was complicated.

8/10

Spider-Man 1 & 2

9/10:D
 yaebginn
08-23-2004, 4:32 PM
Bourne Supremacy- Good movie. Had alot of good action scenes and car chases. This gives more depth on Bourne and his ameisa. It has a few of the same characters fro mthe first one. and I'd give it a 7.382/10
 Jaden Malip
08-23-2004, 4:41 PM
Yeah, I liked Bourne Supremacy.

Nice accurate score there:D
 DarthDurp
08-23-2004, 6:09 PM
im gonna stray away from the thrillers for a moment and go towards the comedy spectrum (exluding napoleon dynamite, of course) and go with Anchorman. The funniest movie i've seen since, well Dodgeball. But the highlight of the movie is when all the news stations have that street fight in that alley, with will ferrell, ben stiller, luke wilson, vince vaughn, and the best, tim robbins. SEE THIS MOVIE!
 yaebginn
08-23-2004, 6:17 PM
Dodgeball and Anchorman are high up on my rent list, but I wanna see Napoleon dynamite soo bad. it looks hilarious. I saw a preview and hes like, 'Hey you guys, check out my movie, you can see my awesome bike jump,' and it shows him hit a tiny ramp and fall. 'or my secret ninja moves I learned from the government' and he slaps his friend then runs away. it looks so funn.y I want to see it. maybe next weekend. I just hope its still in theatres then.
 JediJohn
08-27-2004, 5:05 AM
I,Robot great film seen it twice the car chase bits is good and so is the bit in the interrogation chamber

8/10
 Pad
08-27-2004, 8:31 AM
Saw The Village last night and must saw it was something to expect from M Night Syamalan. While here in Belgium it isnґt hyped up a lot of people went to see it in its first week.
Must say it wasnґt a bad one. Not as great as Unbreakable or The sixth sense, but still good none the less. The paralel with the real world, the driven fear during the whole movie, the symbolism of the colors,...
I kinda like these movies as they arenґt six out of a dozen. I mean, today there are soo much movies but most of em are just average. Money sucking, time spending.
 Revlt Coranier
08-27-2004, 1:13 PM
M Night Salmonella. :D
 yaebginn
08-30-2004, 6:30 AM
ok, now movies anytime. doesnt have to be new.

Untouchables- Just saw that again after a few years. Great Movie. This is the best ganster movie, IMO of all time. It recalls how Elliot Ness (real guy) took down Al Capone with a group of people called the Untouchables. (not exactly true. he had a group, but it wasnt only 4 guys, and the chracters in the movie werent actually actual people) The movie has great gunfights, a good plot, and a real good sense of what went on. I'd recommend it for kids and adults (not really, peoples heads get bashed in with a bat and stuff, so pretty much not for kids)
 ZBomber
08-30-2004, 7:16 AM
Saw Collaterol (sp?) 2 nights ago.... it was an average movie. The ending was just weird, and the beginning was boring. 6/10
 JediJohn
08-30-2004, 8:51 AM
i like road to perdition
 jedi20015
08-31-2004, 12:17 AM
ok why dont u guys review star wars fims now... i think ep 2 was realy good
 Astrotoy7
08-31-2004, 6:45 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
The Village: AWESOME movie, typical M.Night Shyamalan movie. Good suspense, neat idea, very cool cinematic style.
The best part of the movie is the parallels and symbolism it has to religion and politics will REALLY make you think a few days after you saw it.

It also has some moments where I was absolutely scared out of control.

8/10

well, I hope you're not being sarcastic ET, because after reading your review I have finally decided to go see The Village. I was quite bewildered by the varying reviews it was getting, and I'm generally not a review following person :) But, seeing you are usually a quite clever man(you must be, to be able to tell time on that watch of yours :p), I will take your word for it and check it out :D

mtfbwya
 the_raven_03
08-31-2004, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Saw Collaterol (sp?) 2 nights ago.... it was an average movie. The ending was just weird, and the beginning was boring. 6/10

I actually liked collateral a lot. But I can understand how some people might not enjoy it.
 yaebginn
08-31-2004, 2:58 PM
I wanna see Collateral. I havent been up on movies lately rentint wise, so I got alot to catch up on. I wanna see Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid again. I love that movie.
 reelguy227
09-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by jedijohn
i like road to perdition

me too!!!!!:D great movie!!!!!!:D :cool:
 ET Warrior
09-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
I will take your word for it and check it out :D

Hopefully you enjoy it so I dont fall out of the "People Astro thinks is clever" group. Because that would certainly ruin my day. :xp:

Honestly though I thought it was a really good movie, I enjoyed myself throughout.

Saw Hero the other day, and THAT was a fantastic movie. It was VERY Chinese, but also VERY cool. The fight choreography was phenomenal and the story was fantastic. I give this one a hearty recommendation.
 Whoopknacker
09-03-2004, 12:49 PM
M. Knight is not a great director, Ive seen all but the Village. A warning after seeing his films, dont operate heavy machinery. The dialog is always drawn out and laggy. :o I did like Alien Vs Predator, it was better than I thought. No big mystery My Big Fat Greek Wedding sucked! I like SpiderMan II that was cool.
 reelguy227
09-03-2004, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by Whoopknacker
I did like Alien Vs Predator, it was better than I thought.

Go Alien Vs. Predator!!!!!!!!! It Rocks!!!!!
 Revlt Coranier
09-03-2004, 7:55 PM
I saw these movies once, there were five of them. They were called Star Battles or Star Fights or somthing. Oh, I remember now, they were called Star Wars. They were actually pretty good movies.
 Astrotoy7
09-04-2004, 9:10 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Hopefully you enjoy it so I dont fall out of the "People Astro thinks is clever" group. Because that would certainly ruin my day. :xp:

well mister, your cleverness status is not in jeopardy, as having seen the Village tonight I found it thorughly entertaining, and also the fact that is was believable was refreshing too... I was expecting some over the top ending, but I didnt get it, and I was pleased :D

Nice cameo by director Shyamalan... the guy reading the paper in the guards station, you briefly see his face in the reflection of the medicine cabinet :D

mtfbwya
 Alegis
09-04-2004, 9:44 AM
the mummy. blows. sux....whatever. its incredibly ridiculous, only the tattoes on that guy skinwalker used to have as av were kewl
 ET Warrior
09-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Are you kidding? The mummy was a fantastic movie :D

I liked it anyways...and the Mummy returns aswell....The Scorpion King, however. THAT movie was NOT good. Not good at all.
 Alegis
09-04-2004, 11:53 AM
*spoilerific* that one librarian beeing nefertiti, what the blazing hell?

but the mummy, at a given point he's undercover in the city. How ridiculous is that. a mummy should just destroy... and the most stupid thing of all is that one guy hitting a self destruct handle.
 Astrotoy7
09-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
*spoilerific* that one librarian beeing nefertiti, what the blazing hell?

but the mummy, at a given point he's undercover in the city. How ridiculous is that. a mummy should just destroy... and the most stupid thing of all is that one guy hitting a self destruct handle.

alegis, I think The Mummy was meant to be taken with a grain of salt, rather than treated to the scrutiny of a Discovery Channel Documentary :p

I didnt mind the Mummy Returns....mainly fo rthe FX, go ILM !! :D

mtfbwya
 DieStarWarsGeek
09-06-2004, 9:49 PM
I saw 3 new movies recently...

Hero (http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/hero/)
If you're a fan of asian action films or Jet Li I recommend it. If not, you probably won't like it. It is kind of slow at some points but like ET said it's very Chinese. Beautifully shot. It has lots of action but lots of serious parts. I liked the storyline movement, even though there were some "flashbacks within a flashback." I'm sure it means a lot more to the Chinese than to us. My only complaint was I've seen Jet Li do a lot more impressive stuff. 6/10

The Corporation (http://www.thecorporation.com)
This is a documentary style film about corporations and corporate personhood, the rights corporations have and how they are a part of all of our lives now. (some of the conservatives on this board will probably get ticked off about it- I mean, Michael Moore is briefly in it) It's pretty long to sit through, but it's very informative and sheds the light on the corporate world and some of the horrible things that have happened in the history of corporations. A must see for anyone who cares about democracy and our global society. 8.5/10

What the (Bleep) Do We Know!? (http://www.whatthebleep.com)
This is a little film that examines Quantum Physics and our perception of reality. It goes into lots of little parts about what our conciousness is, what matter is, what time and the reality we perceive is. It got off track in a couple spots I felt, and didn't really explain a lot of what I wanted explained. There was also an underlying spiritual message that I thought was pretty hoaky. But all in all it is a movie that just makes you think. You guys should check it out. 7.5/10
Page: 1 of 1