Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Game hangs at random

Page: 1 of 1
 Fredji
01-03-2000, 2:13 PM
Help! I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI board which required DirectX 7, which I also installed. Now Rogue Squadron hangs at random and I have to reboot my system (AMD K6-3-350; 128 mb memory) I installed the latest Voodoo patch from LucaArts already, with no luck. Anybody have any ideas?
 Lt Guilo
01-04-2000, 7:29 PM
Try running the game in Glide mode.
 Fredji
01-05-2000, 1:48 PM
Thanks for the tip; I tried it but with the dsame result. The hang-up is truly random: I can play some levels all the way through and then not...

I'm thinking it might be a bios or MB (or maybe vid card??) problem at this point, since none of my other 3-D required games are hanging.

------------------
 Lt Guilo
01-06-2000, 3:11 AM
...Well, to be perfectly honest, if you are using 3Dfx's BETA DirectX 7 drivers for your Voodoo card, then....I'd be willing to bet the farm that is the source of your troubles.

Those damned (*#!@*$ piece-o-crap hack-job drivers are quite possibly the worst I've ever seen 3dfx author and release to the public, even under their oh-so-ever-present "beta" moniker.... http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/pissed.gif)

I just had to delete individual files from those suck-fest "drunk" drivers earlier this evening, when trying to play <u>Half-Life: Opposing Force</u>....every time I clicked on the shortcut to start the game, it wouldn't even load, instead making the infamous DONK! sound we all know and hate and flashing me a dialog box with a big, fat, ugly error message: "OpFor.exe caused an invalid page fault in 3dfx32V2.dll. This program will be shut down."

I finally just deleted the offensive little nasty things from my C:\Windows\System folder, and then the game ran fine all the rest of the evening.

Thank God in heaven I had the good sense to purchase a GeForce DDR....

......Uhm, was I digressing again? http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/icons/icon11.gif)
 Shootist
01-06-2000, 7:22 AM
LT G, I just finished OPFOR, cool game, but not quite as good overall as Half-life. Agree? If you don't use cheats or have any walkthroughs and don't go to the forum on the Half-life net, the end is kind of challenging on the old patience bone.

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat
 GUNNER
01-06-2000, 8:01 AM
I like Op4 almost as much ,if not better then HL. I liked the action with the black ops and some of the maps were very cool not to mention the new guns. http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
"With each passing moment,you make yourself more my sevant."
COMMANDER GUNNER
ROGUE LEADER
 Shootist
01-06-2000, 6:50 PM
Ditto that Gunner, the original just ran soooo smooth on my set up. I'm tryin' to figure out Rainbow Six now, on sale and all that ya know...

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat

[This message has been edited by Shootist (edited January 06, 2000).]
 Lt Guilo
01-06-2000, 9:38 PM
Checked out <u>Quake III</u> or <u>Unreal Tournament</u> yet, Shootist? How 'bout you, GUNNER?
 Shootist
01-06-2000, 11:59 PM
Did the Unreal, just that:unreal! That's the one that got me started on shooters. Guess where my UserName came from. Yep. Daughter said I was just a pure shootist when it came down to it. Said I was a bit like Josey Wales, "leaves dead men wherever he goes."
Haven't had time for QIII, trying to go back and visit some games I missed. Will do eventually.

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat
 GUNNER
01-11-2000, 2:40 AM
Is Unreal T just for multi or does it also have a single player option? I haven't tried Quake III yet either although I am tempted to get it one of these days. Just need to stop procrastinating and go get it.
 Lt Guilo
01-16-2000, 12:29 AM
I think both games have single-player functionality (in the form of BOTmatches), but only in that capacity...otherwise, yup - multi was and is and likely shall remain their primary gameplaying style and purpose.
Page: 1 of 1