Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Assimilate 'Bone' Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Mana Dragon
07-20-2004, 8:34 PM
I THINK I'm doing this right, I open up Assimilate and load the carcass.exe and bones cannot be found.

This is Assimilate:

----C:\base\models\players\_humanoid\model.car----
( Build trigger: "c:\base\models\players\_humanoid\model.glm missing )
entering c:\base\models\players\_humanoid\model.car
(90 degree skewing OFF)
LOADING GLA"models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla"...17278 frames
Grabbed 1 file with 17278 frames
Processing 'c:/base/models/players/_humanoid/root.XSI'
Processing meshes, LOD 0
Bone "ceyebrow_eff" not found
Bone "cnose" not found
Bone "jaw_eff" not found
Bone "rd2_eff" not found
Bone "rd3_eff" not found
Bone "ld1_eff" not found
Bone "ld2_eff" not found

And it goes on, mostly they are all bones from the face and hands.

How can I fix this, so Assimilate can "FIND" these bones?

And with what you can see from Assimilate, did I miss anything?
This is my first model :( Be v-e-r-y specific :D
 Psyk0Sith
07-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Go there and read the tutorials section:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/)

Espcially the part where it says:

"only 9 bones need to be weighted. Add and weight the following to the "head_face" mesh:
"cranium" "ltlip2", "lblip2", "leye", "reye", "rtlip2", "rblip2", "ceyebrow" and "jaw". That's it.

Oh and never add any "eff" bones, they are not part of the bones required by the GLA file.

Hope this helps.
 Mana Dragon
07-21-2004, 4:08 AM
Wow, thanks!

BUT, (and I did read your tutorial for this) the lhand_tag_bone cannot be found. In your tutorial, you say it does belong in the bone list, but it has no verticies painted, weighted, whatever, to it.

This is the ONLY bone I'm having trouble with now, thanks to your explanation,
but I tried keeping the bone in the list, with no verticies highlighted, and got an error,
I did it with a few verticies highlighted,
and I've tried removing this bone,
but I still get that missing bone thing.

Ain't that weird? :confused: I must've done something wrong, somewhere, I just need a point in the right direction ;)
 Psyk0Sith
07-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Are you weighting a model for Academy?

If so, read the JK3 FAQ: some bones need to be renamed or are not added to the skin modifier (mostly talus and finger bones).
 Mana Dragon
07-21-2004, 9:25 PM
I'm making this for JO =/

Would the renaming idea still work?
 Psyk0Sith
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Oh then follow the tutorial, ignore the JK3 FAQ.

Have you tried removing the bone and exporting?

Have you tried removing the bone and adding it back to the mesh? (sometimes weights are left behind).

Also make sure that nothing is weighted to that bone (bolt_l_hand is not weighted to it)
 Mana Dragon
07-22-2004, 5:16 PM
Somehow I got around it, I clicked on the bone and I named it " " . That's right, I named it nothing! And now I'm fixing weights because Max only alows 4 bone weights a vert.

Now I need to change the topic. Read this carefully, it's an odd-ball question and might, actually I'm sure, it will confuse you. Hopefully you know what's wrong :D

New Question: I'm fixing bone weights using the Weight Table for the left hand right now. in Assimilate, it says

Vert 22, Surface 'l_hand' has 5 bone weights, max is 4!

Ok, obviously I need to change the weight table so there are no more than 4 weights on that vert. So I change one weight to 0, which I believe removes a weight, and the vert now just has 4 weights. This works for most verts that I've changed.

My problem is, and it's confusing, I change a vert's weights to 0 because it had the same problem like above. When I export the .xsi again, and I load Assimilate, Assimilate still picks up the vert I JUST fixed and says it has 5 bone weights. So I go back and, I don't understand what's it talking about. Because, there are only 4 bones that are weighted to that vert.

Did I lose you?
Read this one, here's an example.

Vert 34 has a 6 bone weight problem. So I goto the weight table to find vert 34. I look across the weight table to see what bones are weighted to that vert. 6 slots have numbers, which are the weights. I'll change two weights to 0, so now, there are only 4 weights. But when I open up Assimilate, it says Vert 34 has 6 bone weights. But I'm certain I just fixed that problem. I double check, and only 4 weights are assigned to that vert. We have a problem. Keep reading if you're still lost :cool:

I did a few things to mess with Assimilate, I took off all the weights, and I load Assimilate, it says Vert 34 has no weights. Alright, it knows that vert is empty, so I go to the weight table, and I turn on one weight for a random bone. I open up Assimilate again, and it says

Vert 34 has 6 weights.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

How is that right? Only ONE bone has a weight according to my table, but Assimilate picks up 6 weights.

One problem might be, that when I made changes to the bones and set them to 0, it might have somehow affected the weight table in a way I didn't notice. Right now, Vert 34 has 4 bone weights in the Weight Table (.291, .262, .236, and .212). The other slots in the table are blank - Some spots I made changes to are 0's, there are two spots in Vert 34 that are 0. The reason I brought this up is because a bone weight that is blank ( - ) or a bone weight that is 0 in the Weight Table may be different things I think.

Alright, I'm totally sure anyone who reads this will lose themselves, so just reply what problem you have understanding my question. Sum it up, Assimilate picks up a Vert with too many bone weights, but I clearly fixed it and set it to 4, yet Assimilate says there are 6 weights.
 Psyk0Sith
07-22-2004, 7:14 PM
I understood what you meant in the first few lines ;)

You can blame the skin modifier for being a lousy piece of crap.

This also happens with max 5, tho i never used the weight table because i usually dont assign more than 4.

There's a rollout where you can hit "reset selected verts", doesnt always work.

You could select the un-needed bone and hit "reset selected verts for this bone", but as you might have guessed you'll need to re-weight all the other verts too.

The most radical solution would be to remove that bone from the skin modifier and re-weight all the verts that need to be influenced by it.

I dont know why you had to rename a bone " " and carcass let you get away with it?...the game probably wont ;) hehe i dunno maybe it will!.
 Mana Dragon
07-22-2004, 8:28 PM
Lemme ask a different question, what bones do you have on your left hand? And um, can you add a few notes to the "special" bones? I know I'm asking alot :p but this is hard . . .

I keep messing with the verts and sometimes when I'm erasing some ( Paint Weights + Hold Alt = Remove verts), somehow more verts get maxed out. I'm just sitting here confused :c3po:
 Psyk0Sith
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Left hand bones (for JO):

lhand
lhand_tag_bone

l_d1_j1
l_d1_j2
l_d1_j3
l_d2_j1
l_d2_j2
l_d2_j3
l_d3_j1
l_d3_j2
l_d3_j3
l_d4_j1
l_d4_j2
l_d4_j3
l_d5_j1
l_d5_j2
l_d5_j3

mc5
 Mana Dragon
07-23-2004, 2:32 PM
Alright, we're in business, thanks alot, Assimilate was successful!
Page: 1 of 1