Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

the newbiest skinner EVER.

Page: 1 of 1
 Ockniel
07-15-2004, 4:27 AM
okay, I am trying to skin the galak model, I colored everything, changed wherever it said galak_..... to 'myskin'_..... and the name of the folder in 'players' from galak to 'myskin'

when I load up JA, It shows his icon to click on, and play as, but its still just the galak skin.

help me please :newbie: :)
 ros_Exo
07-15-2004, 7:17 AM
did you change the .skin file? like EX: models/players/galak_/torso to
models/players/myskin_/torso
 Ockniel
07-15-2004, 7:33 AM
huh?

I have gfx/models/players/'myskin'

here are the files I have in 'myskin'

basic_hand.jpg
boots_hips.jpg
boots_hips_blue.jpg
boots_hips_red.jpg
collar.jpg
face.jpg
head.jpg
icon_blue.jpg
icon_default.jpg
icon_red.jpg
model.glm
model_blue.skin
model_default.skin
model_red.skin
mouth_eyes.jpg
'myskin'_legs.jpg
'myskin'_legs_blue.jpg
'myskin'_legs_red.jpg
'myskin'_torso.jpg
'myskin'_torso_blue.jpg
'myskin'_torso_red.jpg

am I missing anything? Im still confused :confused:
 HapSlash
07-15-2004, 10:38 AM
There is no 'gfx/models/players' directory, that is unless you created one yourself.

Try skipping the gfx part,...
 Ockniel
07-15-2004, 11:39 AM
are you sure?
okay i'll try...
 Ockniel
07-15-2004, 12:04 PM
oh sorry about the gfx, long story, thanks for pointing that out though.

anyways, Im back to square 1. the icon shows up, but its still galaks skin. maybe if someone could point me to a good tutorial?

or if you could just help me here it would be better. :)
 HapSlash
07-16-2004, 11:25 AM
If you've completely removed 'galak' from the skin file, the model wouldn't have any of his textures. You've got to be using the old galak skin file in your new folder, or still using the galak folder.

Have you opened the skin before using modview?
 Ockniel
07-17-2004, 11:56 PM
no. I havent, and I am completely confused as to what you are saying. I am using those files, I copied them directly from his folder, and changed them for my needs... what am I doing wrong?
 Scythe01
07-20-2004, 9:17 AM
Well I can spot a couple of problems here. Firstly the directory structure must stay intact. This means that the 'myskin' directory is completely overlooked by JA. What you need to do is rename this folder back to galak.

Now you need to open the file model_default.skin in notepad. This file tells JA which skins to use for the different parts of the model. Now wherever you spot a file listed that you renamed change the name here too. Now save this file as model_default_’myskin’.skin. You will also need to repeat this for your model_blue and model_red skin files saving them as model_blue_’myskin’.skin etc.

That’s about it all you have to do is place your pk3 file in base directory and it should work. You can also delete any files out of your pk3 file which were not changed because these will be loaded from assets1.pk3 anyway.

If all goes well you should be able to select the original skinned galak or your skin. :)
 Scythe01
07-20-2004, 9:25 AM
I forgot to mention if you download the JA model tools you get a good guide to skinning which will help you with any problems.

You can get it here:
http://www.lucasfiles.com/?s=&action=file&id=108)
 Ockniel
07-22-2004, 9:53 AM
oh thanks, yeah I didn't do ANY of that, thanks man
 Scythe01
07-23-2004, 5:44 AM
no problem :)
Page: 1 of 1