Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

move mask model

Page: 1 of 1
 jrc24
07-12-2004, 7:53 PM
how can I move a mask model a little to the behind of the head

http://module5.free.fr/mask.jpg)

if you want import the mask model in gmax or 3ds

http://module5.free.fr/import.zip)

if somebody can tell me what must I do, thanks
 cchargin
07-12-2004, 9:52 PM
hello,

If you take a look at another mask like i_mask_001.mdl you will see that it is set up so that the part of the mask that would hit the bridge of the nose should be close to the world origin.

It looks like all you have to do is select i_tetas_ro_bnd_si and tetas_ro_bnd and move them about -4.5 along the Y axis.

Make sure you only move the two meshes listed and not i_tetas_ro_bnd.
 svцsh
07-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi and Bonjour jrc24 ;) Here are the steps I took This work for both gmax and 3ds max (save often, and rename each save and use descriptive names i alos use a number system so there is no confusion. Later on )

1 extracted mdl and mdx if the sith mask , you could use davik’s mask for this of any of the other similar mask , covert ect…. import select the original mask right click and chose hide selected or model next to it and hide it after it is no longer in use

2 start modeling ect…. Finish modeling

3 Ok right click your scene and chose unhide all place your mask in the same spot as the original even if the model intersects don’t use the perspective view port for this or you will never line the model up right use top, left, or right, and back (because back is the front for these models. ) Ok once it’s all lined up select everything in your scene.

4 Now in the top view port move everything (including the aroura base and Ngon and move it on only on one axis, X is good for this. Get if far enough away so you can fit another aurora base on the 0, 0 axis

5 use Kt extract the mdl and mdx of any of the heads now covert ect…. import By default this will snap to the home axis aka 0,0

6 Now select your model and hold shift and drag it on the y axis make a copy and hit ok take the copy by dragging it right in front of the head try to only move it on one axis at a time to will be earlier to adjust this way set it on the face how you want it. Now in the back view port, move it on the Y axis to get it out of the way. Save again ;) now delete the head and mouth, head bones, eyes aurora base ect..

7 Using the top view port on the X axis Now move your original mask and base and Ngon back to the 0,0 axis line it up it should not be hard because your are only moving things on one axis now in the front view port drag your mask back down to the same place as the original line it up in the left or right view port so it is in the exact same place as the original now delete the original mask but firs take note of the models name. Use the exact same one for your model only change the number use 60 or 50 or something unless you want to just over ride an original.

8 Change the name of your aurora base this will be what the model is really called keep it simple only change the number here link them up with fast linker in the nwn fly out and click you base set model type to items check on compile model and export Geom only .

hope this helps svцsh
 cchargin
07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Hello,

It depends on which version of nwmax you are using.

Version 0.7 by default will export into the same directory you loaded your file from.

Oh, you should also make sure to run the program:
\gmax\scripts\NWmax\nwmax.exe

This is the genius little program hack that lets you export from gmax. Everyone should thank Joco, the creator of nwmax for this.

When you install nwmax it should create an icon on your desktop. Use that icon to start gmax and it will also start nwmax.exe.
 jrc24
07-12-2004, 11:47 PM
now I get exported mdl but when I try in game nothing appear

is there some options to check ?

must I check compile ?
 cchargin
07-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Hello,

must I check compile ?
No, that will only work for NeverWinter Nights models.

T7EDIT: oops . OH dude I am so sorry. I must be tired I accedently edited your post instead of quoting it.
 jrc24
07-13-2004, 12:33 AM
ok

it is first time I try to export a model, I had forgotten the mdlops step, now it works fine !!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH CCHARGIN AND SVOSH !!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
 jrc24
07-13-2004, 12:55 AM
------------BEFORE---------------------------------AFTER---------------

http://module5.free.fr/mask.jpg) http://module5.free.fr/mask2.jpg)
 cchargin
07-13-2004, 1:01 AM
Hello,

I had forgotten the mdlops step
Ahhh, its almost always the obvious thing that we overlook. ;)
 T7nowhere
07-13-2004, 1:03 AM
Hmm. Thats odd Unless I check the compile box I don't even get a file exported. Once it is checked I can then export the file and covert it with MDLops. the model works every time.
 cchargin
07-13-2004, 1:16 AM
hello all,

Thats odd Unless I check the compile box I don't even get a file exported. Once it is checked I can then export the file and covert it with MDLops.
As long as you have that nwmax.exe running you should always get an ascii .mdl out. Checking that box will compile the model for use with NWN. You will get a binary .mdl, but no .mdx. The binary .mdl generated will not work with kotor.

Are you using gmax or max 6?
 svцsh
07-13-2004, 1:31 AM
I’m happy to help I was just trying to translate my explanation in to French for you Glad I can stop now don’t think you would have understood it to well ;), man it’s been awhile since I have written in French, C’est pas ma longe naturelle, any ways great that this is working now. Did you check the compile box in the end ?

And cchargin

just like T7 I always have to check compile to get a good working mdl out of max or gmax other wise I get two ineffective files one is a 1kb mdl and the other 0 kb mdx lol

However the old 00 importer did not require me to rename the mdl before converting it to my two game models mdl and mdx this one does, I’m just curious about this . mdlops will not convert my mdl –ascii file to mdl and mdx unless I remove the -ascii part of the name should this be like this ?

svцsh
 T7nowhere
07-13-2004, 2:01 AM
hmm. well I guess you have the magical touch cchargin. I must have been doing something wrong when I first started messing around with the models becuase now it works as it should.

I feel Like such a noob ;). :rolleyes: :)
 cchargin
07-13-2004, 2:20 AM
Hello,

OK, now I am intrigued.

just like T7 I always have to check compile to get a good working mdl out of max or gmax other wise I get two ineffective files one is a 1kb mdl and the other 0 kb mdx lol
Could you send me examples of the gmax ascii ouput files that don't work? Thanks!

When the compile box is checked you should get 2 files:
model.mdl <-- binary model for NWN not kotor
model.mdl.ascii <-- ascii model ready for mdlops

When the compile box is not checked you should get just 1 file:
model.mdl <-- ascii model ready for mdlops

mdlops will not convert my mdl –ascii file to mdl and mdx unless I remove the -ascii part of the name should this be like this
Actually, I removed some of the dependency on the file name in mdlops. Name shouldn't matter. Do you mean a model named like: model.mdl.ascii? Yes, mdlops does not like it when .mdl is not at the end of the file name.
 svцsh
07-13-2004, 2:51 AM
Sure man just .rar 'n them up for you now :)

Btw they are -bin.mdl? and i have a bunch don't know what goes with what :confused: I have extracted lots of models and made a few as well. I used to get them if the model didn't compile right when using export in max , or gmax, or if 00 import did not work due to some thing I forgot to do in the checklist of getting a working model out ;) But I have not tried to export with out the check box off since using 00 import?, so it could be after all just a stupid mistake on my part if the files will help you ill send them over for sure but if not just reply here and I’ll give it a go tomorrow but for now my bed is calling me.

svцsh
 jrc24
07-13-2004, 2:27 PM
I don t check compile and it works very well

--------------------------------

svosh, I was thinking that french was your mother tongue because you live in montreal, it is not, so don t disturb you for any french translation, thank you for your help. ;)

and thank you again cchargin
Page: 1 of 1