Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Revenge of the sound problems

Page: 1 of 1
 mknote
07-11-2004, 5:21 PM
I haven't posted here since December 24, 2003. The reason: sound problems with my map mixed with my impatience. Well, I load her up... same problem. I will tell you: I have four congruent rooms. In the top-left, bottom-left, and bottom-right rooms, the sound is fine. In the top-right room, however, the sound seems muffled. It isn't the target-speaker: I copied one from the other rooms, where it works fine, and put it outside of all the rooms, outside of my "castle." It worked fine; could hear the sound easily, and clearly. I put it in the trouble room... BAM! It becomes basically muted. This is very bothersome. Why are my sounds (FYI, it is torch_burning_lp) work everywhere but one room? More importantly how do I fix it? I've ran every compile, too. If I can fix this, I may release a map after all.

MK
 shukrallah
07-12-2004, 1:25 PM
Hmm.. Try scripting the sound. Also, it could be that you have to many sounds playing at once, so it just stops playing certain sounds.
 WadeV1589
07-12-2004, 1:28 PM
is this room linked to other rooms that have the same sound? if so it will simply increase the volume of the original sound instead of actually playing a sound itself.

target_speakers have a collective method of working if they're in close proximity.
 mknote
07-12-2004, 9:58 PM
As I put more lights (fires, with the sound), I find that it is nearly an entire quarter of the map without sound. If it does amplify the sound, why can't I hear it in that room. It is simply supposed to make the fire have sound, but now it doesn't in specific parts of the map. My map is just about done (at least with the actual design), and I really need to solve this... any ideas? BTW, my scripting abilities are less than great, and these sounds need to play consistantly.

MK
 shukrallah
07-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Hmm... I got it! I think...!

You must be using Fxrunners right? I looked under its description in Radiant (im in SP mapping mode, but it should work in MP)

Ok, apparently you can add in a 'soundset'! So instead of the target_speaker, add soundset:

From GTK
"soundset" - bmodel set to use, plays start sound when toggled on, loop sound while on ( doesn't play on a oneshot), and a stop sound when turned off

So, for the key put 'soundset' for the value put your sound file. Im not sure if you need the .mp3 or .wav or even if you need the sounds/whatever.... just play around with it. Right now you dont have anything to lose ;)
 mknote
07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
When I try to load the map, it gives the the "missing soundsets" error. In the consol, it says "missing ambient soundset sound/effects/torch_burning_lp.wav" so that didn't work. Anything else that might help?

MK
 shukrallah
07-13-2004, 3:09 PM
Oh man, I cant get it working either :(
 wedge2211
07-13-2004, 7:33 PM
Yeah, "soundset" is not for a specific sound file. "soundset" refers to one of the sets in sounds/sound.txt, such as impdoor1, rainy, etc.

Individual sound files go with the "noise" and "sound" keys.
 lauser
07-14-2004, 1:46 AM
You know it didn't used to be this way. JK2 Radiant was a lot easier to add sound to from what I remember. I guess I'm going to have to add quite a few speakers to my large outdoor area which sucks.....oh well....:rolleyes:
 wedge2211
07-14-2004, 6:25 PM
It's exactly the same as JO... "Sound" and "noise" are for sound files, "soundset" is for sound sets...
 shukrallah
07-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Sadly, some of the soundsets dont work right at all, a while back I added one to a tram I made, but... no sound. It was a func_train (I think) but it never played the sound, unless func_trains just dont play sounds.
 Ockniel
07-15-2004, 3:44 PM
I guessing that I have no idea whats going on, but couldn't you just use a large trigger that covers everywhere or something to play the sound? or maybe alot of small triggers in certain areas, i dunno, just an idea :)
 wedge2211
07-15-2004, 7:34 PM
Yeah, actually, I recall func_trains not being too accepting towards sounds.
 mknote
07-16-2004, 9:05 PM
I am getting VERY upset... I could send the .map for it, if it will help solve this. Otherwise, help is needed. It has offically taken up 1/4 of the map (the sound problem).

MK
 mknote
07-17-2004, 1:49 PM
Well, I found a partial fix. I ran -vis (must not have) and the sound worked... well, not as it should. Now, areas where I had sound, I don't. However, this time, I propose that I know what the problem is. I am now outside of one of the four rooms I mentioned earlier. I can't hear the sound of the fires inside the room: since I just ran -vis, it must be that my leaf node is blocking the sound (the outside walls of the rooms are structural, because my framerate could use a boost). When I made them detail brushes, ran -vis, and used /developer 1 /r_showtris 1, the framerate was FAR lower than with them structural, about 30 FPS lower. It wasn't as drastic without the /r_showtris, only about 13 FPS lower. But, I am afriad that it may add up as I add hills around the outside of the castle. So, what should I do, go with realism, or high framerates? Or can I reach a midway? I should be ready to beta-test this in 2-3 weeks, so where should I ask for beta-testers when the time comes? TIA.

MK
 B00mer
07-17-2004, 3:11 PM
I will beta test it. I really hope your castle works out. This is starting to sound like mapping in JA is too hard. :(
 mknote
07-18-2004, 1:12 AM
Well, I made a GROSS understatement... I may be ready for beta-testing as early as tomorrow! I would like to have Wade and/or Wedge and/or lukeskywalker1 to be amongst them, so I can have an expert opinion before I offically release it. Beta-testers, naturally, will be credited in the readme: PM me if you want to be a beta-tester, and if you will be -BSP (just looking for gameplay errors), -vis (looking at framerate, tri count, ect.), or -light (looking at the lighting, and for visual errors). There is the one NEW sound problem (see my last post), and I ask beta-testers to find others. The only thing left on this map is items and spawn points. TIA.

MK
 WadeV1589
07-18-2004, 2:10 PM
get me on msn and i'll gladly comment on the map, provided you get me tonight or tomorrow, cuz then I'll be busy for the week.

eternus_insilenti[at]hotmail.com
 mknote
07-21-2004, 3:53 PM
Wade, it returned my e-mail. It is quite large (8 megabytes, even while zipped), so maybe I need to send it elsewhere? Ideas?

MK
Page: 1 of 1