Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What if you have a story idea?

Page: 1 of 1
 Khaliban
07-10-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure where this would go, so I put it in general editing.

I'm more of a writer than a modeller. I know I'm known for some models, but, believe me, I'm a much better writer. I have an idea for a Sith single player campaign. (like everyone else, I know) If you want to do a Sith conversion, contact me. I'll send you my ideas. Here's what I have so far:

JEDI ACADEMY: THE EMPEROR'S HAND

Opening crawl,
The Jedi of the New Order, assisted by the Army of the New Republic, have hunted the Remnant almost to extinction. But recently, the Jedi have sensed another presence helping the Remant, one strong with the Dark Side of the Force.

While the new Jedi Knights, led by Luke Skywalker, work publicly to gain the trust and confidence of the people of the Republic, they must secretly search out this dark power.

Jedi Master Kyle Katarn and his Padawan Mara Jade pursue an operative of this new Sith Lord to the criminal world of Nar Shadaa...

Opening scene,
An Imperial shuttle flies in from the top of the screen. Blaster fire shoots past it. Kyle Katarn's ship and a score of X-Wings follow it toward the surface of Nar Shadaa. One of the X-Wings hits the shuttle which spirals in toward the planet. The scene fades.

Scene, Nar Shadaa cantina,
Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade (dressed as a Padawan) enter the cantina.

Kyle: I still have a few friends left here. What about you?

Mara: An Emperor's Hand never had friends. They feared me. That's why they helped.

Kyle: I don't think it was fear for all of them.

Mara (smiling): You may be right, Master. But...

She looks around.

Kyle: What is it?

Mara: A presence. One I remember.

Mara walks slowly through the crowded cantina. She passes a man sitting at a table. He watches her from the corner of his eye. Mara walks past him, then stops and turns. The man force jumps through a window and speeds across raised walkway into a building. The camera tracks behind him and we see him watch Kyle and Mara emerge from the cantina. Mara ignites her lightsaber.

Kyle: Put that away!

Mara: Master?

Kyle: You activate your weapon only when you are ready to fight. Not before.

Mara (closing down the lightsaber): Yes, Master.

Kyle: Reach out and look for him. You remember him. Who was he?

Mara: I think he was another Emperor's Hand. His name is Asalla.

Kyle: He may be why the operative came here. We need to find both of them. Follow him. Capture him if you can. I'll continue looking for the downed ship.

Mara: Yes, Master.

Asalla backs away from the window.

Asalla (in a threatening voice): Mara Jade. Betrayer. Perhaps the Remnant sent me something to repay you.

The scene fades to the player (Asalla) standing in the window of the building.

Level 1: Nar Shadaa
Objective, Locate the downed Imperial shuttle before Kyle Katarn or the Republic army finds it.
Objective, Elude Mara Jade.

Well, that's it so far. Long cutscene, I know, but that's intentional. It adds depth to the story and increases the cinematic feel.

Can anything like this be done?
 lassev
07-11-2004, 6:21 AM
Why don't you go forward and start to learn mapping? It's a decent plot, at least the part you have revealed of it, and should be possible to build and script in game.

But I can almost guarantee that nobody else will do it for you. Whilst you can write a manuscript in one evening, mapping and scripting, drawing textures, editing text files, finding and obtaining third party components, learning new things required - it will take months if not a year.

You see, if somebody is ready to invest months at the very least to build an SP campaign, the one or two evenings spent writing the story is not much.
 Khaliban
07-11-2004, 3:56 PM
It's not one or two evenings. Writing a story, at least for me, takes many weeks. I'm picky about details. I'd like to take the time to learn mapping and coding, but I have too many other projects. I was just curious if anyone wanted a story. Because you can map, doesn't mean you can write. Because you can code, doesn't mean you can model. There's nothing wrong with pooling skills. I'm just offering a plot, and a lot of dialogue, to anyone interested in making a Sith SP adventure. That's all.
 lassev
07-12-2004, 3:18 PM
Yes, sure, it's certainly not wrong to offer a story, I didn't mean to imply anything like that. However, there's a difference between writing a short story about a sith, and writing a manuscript for a game level(s). If it takes weeks, then you are doing something wrong. Let's interpret my earlier text another way: If it takes a couple of days to write the story, it will take several months to map it. Analogously: If it takes several weeks to write the story, it will take several years to map the project. ;) That's not the way to go.

I'm sorry to say this, but I know what I'm talking about. I have first-hand experience.
 Khaliban
07-12-2004, 5:31 PM
It takes me weeks to write a story, because I'm very detail oriented. I like to get everything right. I think my way through the parts of the story to work out all the inconsistencies. I can offer examples if you like. You may know level making, but, believe me, I know writing. I'm trying to contribute, and I lead with my strength. I like games with an involved story, and that's what I'm offering. If you don't want the story, OK. But don't assume my end is easy. I put the time into writng the stories, because I care about them. I don't know how long the story would take to map. Most of the story is delivered by cutscene, so it's hard to tell. It's an offer. Take it or don't, that's your choice. But a good story takes time. That's something I know.
Page: 1 of 1