Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How can you add a new model to the character generation screen?

Page: 1 of 1
 numark79
07-04-2004, 5:44 PM
Sup, I'm currently working on an Aayla Secura skin based off of the female twi'lek model, and I was hoping to be able to add it as a selectable model at the character generation screen. I think I saw somewhere awhile back that somebody was able to add a Darth Maul skin in this manner, but I can't remember exactly.
Anyways, I was wondering what files you would have to edit to get this to work. I'm assuming the Character.2da file would be one, any others?

peace
 Colma Adawin
07-04-2004, 5:57 PM
hello, mattcole here, i'm here to inform you that 2 Holowan ppl have already done this, who you ask? well its ORSAN (russian Modder, BLOODY GOOD)

and COLJA (also a BLOODY GOOD MODDER) :D ( browny points for me :) )

MattCole if you require the links reply to this post requesting them and i will search out and post them here

MattCole
 numark79
07-04-2004, 8:58 PM
word, that would be dope man =) I'll try and search for posts from those two as well.

peace
 RedHawke
07-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by numark79
I'm assuming the Character.2da file would be one, any others?

I also think heads.2da might also be worth looking into as well.
 Colma Adawin
07-05-2004, 1:03 AM
here they are, took five seconds to find :D

http://www.pcgamemods.com/5324/) - Coljas Aalya Sekura

oh my GOD!!!! Orsan hasn't got it up there!!!! well heres the site you may find something of use, damn! i loved that one!!!!:'(

http://kotormods.t-k.ru/mods/mods.htm)

these are his other modding links

http://kotormods.t-k.ru/skins/skins.htm)

http://kotormods.t-k.ru/progs/progs.htm)

http://kotormods.t-k.ru/doc/doc.htm)

hope these help. BLOODLY ANNOYED about Orsans Aalya Secura, that was a gooden!!! :D:D but it did use missions skin and when you had Seps Mission 2 mod Aalya had a greenish yellow face, funny as hell:D

MattCole
 jrc24
07-05-2004, 3:49 AM
you must get this 5 files

appearance.2da
heads.2da
portraits.2da
model_file_of_twilek_female_head_that_you_want_mod .MDL
model_file_of_twilek_female_head_that_you_want_mod .MDX
and some txi file (verify wich txi message use existing texture that you modify)

and edit the 3 2da file and the MDL file

open the MDL file with HEX editor, find the name of the texure used by this model and replace it by the name of your texture (not just once), put a name wich has same number of letter.

in heads.2da you must put a line for model and texture information about your head, use a normal twilek female head and modify the texture ref.

in appearance.2da you mus put 3 new lines, for giving head model, body model and texture information about the 3 class : soldier, scout, scoundrel and about lightside appearance and darkside appearance (take exemple on existing line about female player)

in portraits.2da you must put a new line, for portrait information, the small picture you can see in the left down corner, and at start when you create your character. it s information about lightside appearance and darkside appearance.

I hope that will help you
 numark79
07-07-2004, 5:12 AM
coocoo, aight I think I've pretty much figured out the head.2da, appearance.2da, and portrait.2da stuff.

I'm still a little confused about the .mdl editing part. From looking at the appearance and head.2da files, I can't tell which mdl file the twilek female head uses. I've looked for an N_TwilekF mdl file, a twilek_f and haven't been able to find one. Does this mean the Twilek Female model use one of the pfbcs/pfbcm/pfbcl files? If so, does anybody know which one?

sorry for all the questions,
peace
 jrc24
07-07-2004, 6:59 AM
twilek female head model files are :

twilek_f.mdl - twilek_f.mdx

twilek_f02.mdl - twilek_f02.mdx

twilek_f03.mdl - twilef_f03.mdx

twilek_f04.mdl - twilek_f04.mdx (zaerdra head model)

if you want know wich model correponds to wich texture
it s easy with kotor tool

double clic on the mdl file and kotor tool extract the mdl file and its texture in your kotortoolfolder\working

by this way you can know wich model you need

if you have trouble doing something, ask, no problem :)
 numark79
07-07-2004, 9:51 PM
hmm, aight i think I've found the problem, for some reason my KotOR Tool can't open the models.bif file. There is no + sign situated to the left of the line, models.bif to indicate that it can be opened. This is wierd because I can open the party.bif and player.bif files, but not the models one =( I have the latest version of the KotOR Tool installed, any ideas why this isn't working?

peace
 Darth333
07-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by numark79
hmm, aight i think I've found the problem, for some reason my KotOR Tool can't open the models.bif file. There is no + sign situated to the left of the line, models.bif to indicate that it can be opened. This is wierd because I can open the party.bif and player.bif files, but not the models one =( I have the latest version of the KotOR Tool installed, any ideas why this isn't working?

peace
Go to the Tools menu, select options and check the box "build bif tree at startup" and "build model Bif node in tree" :)
 numark79
07-08-2004, 6:30 AM
Originally posted by Darth333
Go to the Tools menu, select options and check the box "build bif tree at startup" and "build model Bif node in tree" :)

word, that helped a LOT =)
I've edited the twilek_f.mdl file and renumbered it to twilek_f05 I've also edited the entries inside the file w/ a hex editor to twilek_f05, so I don't think this should be a problem anymore. btw, there should be only 11 entires to change for this right? =)

Now however the problem I'm having is that my character's head fails to show up during the portrait selection process. The portrait picture shows up just fine, however there is no head on the model, and my character is headless =P Just for the hell of it I tried starting up the game anyways, and I ended up being a blaster turret located outside the Endar Spire! :eek:

Anyways, I'm thinking this has something to do w/ the appearancenumber and appearance_s and appearance_l columns in the portrait.2da file. I've messed around w/ this a little bit, if I put the appearance numbers of some other head portraits, I end up getting those heads on my model =\ Or, since the appearancenumbers in the game stop at 180, I've tried setting these values for my model to 181,182, and 183. I thought this would work, only w/ these values my character is headless at the portrait selection screen. *sigh, well if anybody can help w/ this, it would be MUCh appreciated, =)

peace
Page: 1 of 1