Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Who destroyed The Senate

Page: 1 of 1
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 11:18 AM
My best guess is emperor Palpatine but then the question comes to mind on how. How does a leader destroy the senate when it is mainly based on votes of others and he is really there to over see it? Does he maybe assainate world leaders or does he take over planets and threaten there lives?
 yaebginn
07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
he doesnt destroy it. it is still in existence when the Empire is there, just with new people and all.
 CortoCG
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Who let the dogs out?!?!
 CortoCG
07-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Now really, Palpatine did disolve the senate. In Episode IV, Moff Tarkin says the Emperor disolved the senate and that he was going to control the systems with local governors. That's why Moffs are for.
Moff Tarkin, Moff Jerjerrod, Moff Rebus (EU), etc.
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 2:42 PM
I think what Corto said was true but also I think that there is no Republic view in the senate just the Empire, and a few neutral colonies.
 yaebginn
07-02-2004, 5:19 PM
there is an Imperial Senate. Thats what Leia was apart of.
'I am a member of the Imperial Senate-'
'You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor, take her away' see there is an Imperial Senate.
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 5:23 PM
So then I guess that proves one of my other topics correct then. Thankyou.:biggs: But then I also must say that there no information on exactly (or even generally) where this senate meets and talks.
 yaebginn
07-02-2004, 5:46 PM
Yes there is, they meet on Coruscant in the Senate Building whihc I assume is the same as the one used in the prequels, though it doesnt much matter.
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 6:39 PM
How did you learn that? Did you read it? I'm pretty sure you didn't hear it in one of the movies.
 yaebginn
07-02-2004, 7:08 PM
yeah, i read it. I cant tell you which now, but I believe it's one of the few that I dont have but got from the library.
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 7:13 PM
would you happen to know what series or what the front cover looked like?
 yaebginn
07-02-2004, 8:23 PM
It's the New Rebellion. It isnt about the Imps its about the New Rebels. but it does mention that the senate hall was used by the Empire.
 CortoCG
07-02-2004, 11:02 PM
The imperial senate is like the nazi council. Just a cover.
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Yeah but a cover for what reason. I mean who could stop them? They had complete control practically until the Death Star was destroyed for the first time then it started to slow down for them but once the emperor was destroyed that seemed to have been the end of a major control factor.
 CortoCG
07-02-2004, 11:26 PM
They had to keep the cover until the Death Star was finished, then the Emperor could finally disolve the so called Senate. The got cocky and overconfident in their technological error before they could reach their apogee.
 Luke'sMaster
07-02-2004, 11:29 PM
I didn't understand to much of that message... Not sure if you're falling asleep.. just waking up or just in a hurry but you might want to fix the message so some can read the thing CLEARLY.
 CortoCG
07-02-2004, 11:37 PM
First things first: abre los ojos. Now, I'm making my point about why the Emperor had an Imperial Senate, and why he disolved it. I only deduct things from what I see in the movies. I don't like EU or alternate readings, I think they're bullsh1t, approved by Lucas for the only purpose of earning some more of the mighty buck.
 yaebginn
07-03-2004, 12:08 AM
I like the EU. They are a continuation of the story I love.
 CortoCG
07-03-2004, 12:37 AM
I won't say is not likeable, so it's ok with me that ppl like it. I don't like ppl getting too technical becuz they've read some books I don't know about. As for the EU itself, well, I like Dark Forces and Shadows of The Empire. They seem to be good stories to go in between the original trilogy movies.
 Doomie
07-03-2004, 3:11 PM
But the old senate is gone. That's also whatb they talked about, i believe. 'The senate is gone, the last trails of the old republic are dead' or something like that. Someone said that during the meeting in wich Darth Vader almost chokes that guy but is stopped by Tarkin.
 CortoCG
07-03-2004, 3:55 PM
Bingo! You're correct Doomgiver, that's the scene I mean.
 yaebginn
07-03-2004, 4:44 PM
the OLD senate, but there is an Imperial senate.
 CortoCG
07-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Pointless, a senate with an emperor is pointless. The roman empire proved that.
 Luke'sMaster
07-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Ah yes you are right about that but there was still great power with the emperor and you must remember his legion started to make the amazing Empire and practically made Rome the most powerful force to ever exist with its many places they had conquered.
 CortoCG
07-04-2004, 1:43 AM
The senate, in most cases, is as powefull as corrupt, that's why they brought down many empires. I don't think Palpatine was fool enough to conserve a senate corrupting the base of his new empire. He was the only ruler, the big cheese, the guy with cojones. No imperial senate was needed.
 Doomie
07-04-2004, 3:47 AM
But there was one... Kinda weird. I can see it happening already:
Votes for the destruction of the rebel allinace: 1 (palpy)
Votes against the destruction of the alliance: 453273516 (The rest of the senate) But palpy wins since he is the evil sith-emperor and thus 0wnz j00 all!

I see why it is pointless to have an empror and a senate, but clearly the imperials didn't...
 yaebginn
07-04-2004, 9:06 AM
They did! Think about it, if they vote against his descision, he could veto their descision. There was a senate. I'll watch ANH later and thewn I'll have a refreshed memory, but so far, from what I've read and seen, there was a senate.
 Luke'sMaster
07-04-2004, 9:42 AM
SO really kinda like communism, with the emperor being the government and the others in the senate just being the people. What ever the government says goes.
 CortoCG
07-06-2004, 1:44 AM
Once upon a senate....
 Doomie
07-06-2004, 9:50 AM
Luke'smaster, that isn't necessary communism. The base principle of communcism in: Everyone is equal, everybody should get the same, everything should be equal. Or something like that. It would be perfect, too bad it doesn't really work, and there still are people that think they earn more while everybody is equal... That's why it fails.
 CortoCG
07-06-2004, 10:07 AM
It fails like everything fails on this planet because the human soul is weak and corrupt. Comunism sucks only because everyone gets the same, but there will still be some ppl who will work their asses off (because they usually can't help it) and some will jerk off all day (also because they usually can't help it).
A senate is something completely different. A senate is a group of delegates representing their own ppl, be that a planet, a state, a province, etc.
In the Empire's case, a senate would be more like a war council for Palpatine, since the old man can't be in every place at the same time. And also because, Palpatine is not an emperor like in the Roman empire. What Palpy says, is was it's done.
Even Vader had to get his hand chopped off to realize Palpy was being a pain in the butt :D.
 Luke'sMaster
07-06-2004, 6:23 PM
Yes but communism gives the GOVERNMENT full control and gives the GOVERNMENT the choice of what job to give which person. The GOVERNMENT has control over wat you do. Not any freedom of choice in that now is there? (Do you see what I meant by this being like communism?)
 ET Warrior
07-07-2004, 1:29 AM
It has nothign to do with communism. The ideas aren't even related in any way. It's a dictatorship, plain and simple.

Communism isn't even a form of government. It's an economic system like capitalism.
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 5:38 AM
As ET said. They're different things. But even if the <ЎїGOVERNMENT?!> ;) has full control over your wealth, ppl are ppl, and ppl get corrupted.
 Doomie
07-07-2004, 6:01 AM
Like in LOTR...
 fuzzyfreaker
07-07-2004, 6:07 AM
wow, so many political relations... :eek:
 CortoCG
07-07-2004, 6:54 AM
Destroy the precious!
 Luke'sMaster
07-07-2004, 11:11 AM
theres a lot of things that would be "the precious" in both the (Star Wars) world and this one. If your American I could guess the cheese burger (sorry but everyone likes it from what I've seen) or the Declaration of Independence. The French might think the precious is the last ciggarete from the pack (exscuse this to any french person who may take offense off it), and the list could go on and on about our precious. Although I really have no idea now why I was saying this I would like to add to EVERYONE'S the precious list....water.
Page: 1 of 1