Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Xmod 2.7.0 :: Released today

Page: 3 of 3
 TK-8252
07-06-2004, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by ZeroX2
does the cvar that stops grip from turning off your saber also stop grab-drain from turning off the saber?

You're thinking JA+ mod. XMod does not have the vampire drain.

Edit: Erm, how do you use the mod? It doesn't appear in the mod list, and the readme isn't clear on how to actually use the command it mentions to load the mod... Thanks.

Create a zip file in the xMod directory, and just call it xmod.zip (actually it doesn't matter what you name it). Then rename it to xmod.pk3. Now xMod should appear in the mod menu.
 =X=Master HeX
07-06-2004, 9:54 PM
Xmod2 is still and always will be aimed at the competitive gameplay community. I'm just using a gun with a bigger shell when I try to lure other communities into the competitive one.
 <-KRT->Dhart
07-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by =X=Master HeX
Xmod2 is still and always will be aimed at the competitive gameplay community. I'm just using a gun with a bigger shell when I try to lure other communities into the competitive one.

Nicely stated HeX.

:D
 Rad Blackrose
07-07-2004, 2:52 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Were people in the habit of using forceregentime 0 in JK2?

'Cause I think those who complain about spamming are the same people who set forceregentime to "0" in JA, saying that "force takes forever" and they "don't want to wait."

Raven made the saber moves use up Force mana a reason, after all.

It throws off the game balance by essentially giving everyone infinite force (I should qualify that by saying one more thing... this really benefits "instance use powers" at the expense of powers that halt your regeneration). It makes Force Boons and Team Regeneration pointless as well.

This is a problem with admins, and it's a bigger problem with JA+ Mod, but again, we're discussing Xmod2 here, right?

Fine, it's been established that JA+ Mod and Xmod2 are very differnet from one another.

I guess this helps to reinforce my point that Hex is mistaken to believe that the only thing stopping people from using his mod is the lack of abusive ampunish style commands. So it wasn't that big of a digression...

Sorry Kurgan, but I'm going to bite and raise the bull**** flag at the same time.

In JKII, each special saber move was counterable to some extent, but the condition was the person had to learn how to counter it. That meant working towards your kill with a tactical mindset, not rushing in blindly and chalking up your kill to instant gratification (which by the way, rushing in blindly never works).

At the same time, you say Boons and Team Energize are worthless with infinite force? Is this in regards to the forceregentimer 0 option, or the fact that special saber move mana costs can be disabled in xmod? If it's the latter, I'm going to file that remark under "Lack of understanding of TFFA FF/SO competitive play."

There were certain force mana costs I agreed with in application, such as the dual-bladed saber's butterfly attack or the katas, but everyone knew the counters to the single saber moves (hell, the yellow undercut's bug is no longer present AND the pivot is no longer present because it's animation is now locked), and using the DFA or yellow undercut was just a deathwish.

Now, onto the ampunish commands. Personally, if Hex thinks that's going to get the people to run to his mod, that's his call, but I will drop the opinion that I think it's full of ****, and might instead backfire. But since he doesn't give two damns and a hell about the endless argument on it, technically does it cease to exist unless we hold him at gunpoint?
 _PerfectAgent_
07-07-2004, 4:50 AM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
At the same time, you say Boons and Team Energize are worthless with infinite force? Is this in regards to the forceregentimer 0 option, or the fact that special saber move mana costs can be disabled in xmod?
He's talking about the forceregentimer 0.

It throws off the game balance by essentially giving everyone infinite force (I should qualify that by saying one more thing... this really benefits "instance use powers" at the expense of powers that halt your regeneration).
 Kurgan
07-07-2004, 5:49 AM
Yes, Perfect Agent is right.

In JA/JK2 you CAN have infinite force, but only under certain select, special circumstances (force boons, which aren't on all maps, team regeneration which is only on team maps/ctf where a teammate has the power and is close enough to use it on you & has the necessary mana, etc).

Having infinite force encourages spamming all all kinds, but mostly benefits instant use powers. This means those powers will have an advantage over powers that merely work while stopping regeneration. That was my point about unbalancing.

As to whether or not to criticize something in Xmod2.

Well, you have two choices when you see something you don't like in a public mod like this.

1) Don't say anything at all.

2) Say something about it.

I'm not saying you need to flame Hex, far from it, but if nobody says anything, he has no idea what people think of it. It's like throwing your "vote away" in an election. If you don't try, you won't know what he'll think.

The community is understandably resistant to change, and Hex seems to be of a progressive mindset. But old habits die hard, am I right?

Though now we have confirmation that he's doing it in the hopes of getting the n00b community to notice his mod. I just wonder if it was worth it...
 keshire
07-07-2004, 6:22 AM
hough now we have confirmation that he's doing it in the hopes of getting the n00b community to notice his mod. I just wonder if it was worth it...

Hardly. The community is too polarized. The only option at this point is two distinct games (and gameplay) that cators to each.

*edit*
Let me put it this way. The game has a mix of First Person Shooter, and Roleplaying/Story elements. And the arguing between these two genres has been going strong since they were concieved.

So they need to be split. The FPS side needs to more story lite. While the RPG side needs to be heavy.
*edit*
 mediablitz
07-07-2004, 6:40 AM
0 force regen oversimplifies the game. One doesn't have to worry about conservation of force or strategy....it just becomes a drain fest and race to see who fails to break the other persons grip kick first. So it's just spamming without any thought. It's funny, when I see those 0 force regen newbies come on a standard regen duel server, they pull about 5 times in a row trying to land one of their sloppy pull kicks and then you can just feel them thinking "oh ****...i'm out of force what now???"
 Rumor
07-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by AnalogSaint
0 force regen oversimplifies the game. One doesn't have to worry about conservation of force or strategy....it just becomes a drain fest and race to see who fails to break the other persons grip kick first. So it's just spamming without any thought. It's funny, when I see those 0 force regen newbies come on a standard regen duel server, they pull about 5 times in a row trying to land one of their sloppy pull kicks and then you can just feel them thinking "oh ****...i'm out of force what now???"

haha remember the demo of me vs felony?
 zERoCooL2479
07-07-2004, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by cmad_x
In case you didn't know:
JAMod -> mod for JK2 by cHoSeN-oNe
JA+ Mod -> mod for JKA by Slider

So I guess that in the above posts you mean JA+ mod, not JAmod; but I can't tell if all of them are wrong :\

Yeah, I think that's what he meant. I attempted to correct the way this game was played for JA with a new "reloaded" mod without all that crap in it. However, people decided to create their own with those commands in there anyways. I guess it is safe to say that, if one doesnt make it...someone else will. Its unfortunate.

PS: If any of you remember OmniMod, you can thank him for donating his code to Slider for those abusive functions and all the other crap that comes with it.
 Lathain Valtiel
07-07-2004, 2:06 PM
Oh? BOFH donated code?

That explains a LOT...
 ZeroX2
07-07-2004, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
You're thinking JA+ mod. XMod does not have the vampire drain.

Whoops. :P

Create a zip file in the xMod directory, and just call it xmod.zip (actually it doesn't matter what you name it). Then rename it to xmod.pk3. Now xMod should appear in the mod menu.

An empty pk3 file, or should I put the contents of the XMod into it? Thanks.

Edit: The mod doesn't work if I change the map. I enter a game, set up the cvars, and all is fine. I then change the map, and no matter what values the cvars have, they don't affect the game unless I re-host. =/
 TK-8252
07-07-2004, 3:10 PM
An empty pk3 file, or should I put the contents of the XMod into it? Thanks.

Empty, yes. The way the game finds mods, there has to be a pk3 file in the mod folder to find it.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
07-07-2004, 10:05 PM

Edit: The mod doesn't work if I change the map. I enter a game, set up the cvars, and all is fine. I then change the map, and no matter what values the cvars have, they don't affect the game unless I re-host. =/

Make a shortcut to jamp.exe. Right-click the shortcut, go to Properties. In the target box, add this at the end, after the quotation mark:

+set fs_game xmod

then save and close.

Now use the shortcut to launch Jedi Academy multiplayer. You can Play a Solo Game or Create a Server in the usual fashion, but it will be running xmod, no matter how many times you change the map or anything else. This assumes, of course, that the xmod folder is in the GameData folder, not the base folder.
 Lathain Valtiel
07-08-2004, 8:21 PM
Ugh, even sanguis fratrum Duel is occupied by NF saber scum... Only scum because they don't stick to their servers. I like NF saber, but I'm getting sick of staff and dual and the ****ty attitudes prevalent.

I had to clean house by going Darkside and unceremoniously kicking, draining, sabering, and PTing them to death, all in the middle of being called a n00b. They soon all left.

Lamers... Lamers even on XMod servers... Jesus Christ.

OT ranting:
*Holds up hands in supplication* Oh Lord, why have you taken Meatgrinder from me!? WHY!?
 Lightning
07-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Rumor
VAM, JAM, JA+, etc. are not the progenitors of abusive admin commands. Those go back to Quake 1, Half-Life, CS, etc. They will continue to be made as well.

LOL I've played Half life and it's mods for years now and i've NEVER been slapped, punished and other stupid thing you can think of ever befor. Sure they have mods that give more antie idiot things but thats mostly antie cheats stuff.:rolleyes:
 Rumor
07-11-2004, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
LOL I've played Half life and it's mods for years now and i've NEVER been slapped, punished and other stupid thing you can think of ever befor. Sure they have mods that give more antie idiot things but thats mostly antie cheats stuff.:rolleyes:

then you've lucked out. In cs the mods that let you slap, kill, etc. also let you determine how much damage the slaps do, etc. i've only played cs for about 3 months and i've been blinded (makes your screen go black till you die) turned into a rocket (shoot up and explode) turned into a time bomb (you flash colors and eventually explode) set on fire, slayed, turned into a chicken, Llama'd (changes your name, suicides you, and then kick bans you) and who knows what else, just because i was either doing well, or had the gall (OH NOEZ!#111one) to tell an admin to follow his own rules.

good thing is those servers are far and few inbetween.

As for the A N T I cheats, there are HLGuard, VAC, CheatingDeath, and maybe one or two others, and they have absolutely nothing to do with anything other than catching people that are using hacks and kicking them. thats all they do.
 Rad Blackrose
07-11-2004, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by Lathain Valtiel
Ugh, even sanguis fratrum Duel is occupied by NF saber scum... Only scum because they don't stick to their servers. I like NF saber, but I'm getting sick of staff and dual and the ****ty attitudes prevalent.

I had to clean house by going Darkside and unceremoniously kicking, draining, sabering, and PTing them to death, all in the middle of being called a n00b. They soon all left.

Lamers... Lamers even on XMod servers... Jesus Christ.

OT ranting:
*Holds up hands in supplication* Oh Lord, why have you taken Meatgrinder from me!? WHY!?

If that's the case, give one of us a ring. I'd be glad to come over and open a can of whoopass, then kick them.

irc.gamesurge.net #cross-over
 Kurgan
07-13-2004, 5:00 AM
So was OmniMod the one that started all this slap/slay/ampunish crap in JK2? I keep forgetting which one did it first...
 zERoCooL2479
07-16-2004, 1:50 PM
So was OmniMod the one that started all this slap/slay/ampunish crap in JK2? I keep forgetting which one did it first...

No Sir, it was originally in Vulcanus Admin Mod. I believe the admin mod for the jk2 series was derived from the HL's idea of the "AdminMod" After his 2.2 release and his claim that he will not produce anymore, he then granted me the rights to expand it. While this was going on, OmniMod authors decided to mimmick those commands in a less-than-par version. That is pretty much how it all began. When the flak from the jk2 game came about the commands, everyone had me convinced that possibly we were going to end this for the new game.

Well, I did, Hex, and a few others. However, BOFH made a failed attempt at what he called the "OMNI ADMIN MOD" which then was forked over to Slider for the JA+.

Sure we all knew that there would be new modders for the new game, but ones to copy exactly what we did for jk2? It appears that is also had the same effect; People start going to play other games, etc.

Now what is done, is done and I think we should look forth into trying to make a better future. I, for one, have been doing some coding for OJP, as well as a few other projects. If there ever is a JK4, I sure as hell hope another newbie doesn't stop by to create an abuse mod.

c1 out!
 Rad Blackrose
07-16-2004, 8:19 PM
Originally posted by zERoCooL2479
No Sir, it was originally in Vulcanus Admin Mod. I believe the admin mod for the jk2 series was derived from the HL's idea of the "AdminMod" After his 2.2 release and his claim that he will not produce anymore, he then granted me the rights to expand it. While this was going on, OmniMod authors decided to mimmick those commands in a less-than-par version. That is pretty much how it all began. When the flak from the jk2 game came about the commands, everyone had me convinced that possibly we were going to end this for the new game.

Well, I did, Hex, and a few others. However, BOFH made a failed attempt at what he called the "OMNI ADMIN MOD" which then was forked over to Slider for the JA+.

Most of that is true.

Vulcanis Admin Mod (by Mars) was the origonal admin mod of choice. It had the first slap, empower, slay, etc functions that are still in use today, but lacked the animations until later on.

At the same time, a person in [JEDI] named Dest (who both my brother and I knew) created a mod by the name of JediMod. It was the first appearance of animations and the RGB saber. Dest also had a few other tricks up his sleeve, but stopped updating after version 1.03 (1.04 was a bugged release that was not produced by Dest). JediMod had zero admin commands in it.

When Dest stopped updating JediMod, he made it open source (unfortunately). BOFH, like the code ripping/copying assbag he is, immediately took JediMod as his own and created JediMod+ (which in turn smeared the JediMod name). He added things in like admin commands, but the thing was he originally asked Mars for VAM's source. Mars kicked his ass right out the door, so to speak. So BOFH had to do his job half-assed.

For those of you that remember JediMod... The secret is safe with us. ;)

The rest, about how BOFH handed his code over to Slider in JA, is correct.

EDIT: and on a more personal note, if I ever saw the bastard in real life, I'd take a rusty butter knife to his balls so he can't reproduce.
 acdcfanbill
07-16-2004, 9:39 PM
yea, BOFH caused much pain and anguish in the world of JK2, i knew the guy from OmNi and irc prior to his modding escipades :s i feel bad about not squeltching him before he released himself upon the world.
 Kurgan
07-17-2004, 8:56 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

So the solution is to continue to put the commands in every mod that comes out, why again?
Page: 3 of 3