Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question about cylinders

Page: 1 of 1
 Oidar
06-19-2004, 3:29 PM
Ok, If i make a cylinder and scale it down it seems to lose its general cylindrical shape. I mean its still a cylinder it just doesnt seem to be as round. I've seen maps done with railings that are round and quite small so I'm wondering how this is done. I searched the forums but didnt really see anything on this, I've also taken a pic to help show what I mean. The smallest cylinder is the one i'm trying to make the roundest but to no avail.
What should I do to get small cylinder very round.

http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/16914121075.jpg)
 lauser
06-19-2004, 4:33 PM
Okay let me explain a couple of things about cylinders. First off the smaller you go the more rows and columns you will lose. The reason for this is because the engine has a harder time drawing all those tiny triangles needed to make railings and small posts etc. Don't ask me why...I just read that somewhere. I think LJ posted that or maybe it was rgoer. So it defaults to a cylinder that is much more simple in design with less triangles. Now it actually doesn't look too bad ingame. I use the default if I'm making quite a few of them. If I'm making a ladder lets say, then I may want to add columns. Adding columns will make your cylinder more round but, is harder on the engine. To add a column just go to the curve menu....insert >

Now, as soon as you go under 12 units it will go to the simple form of cylinder. 8 units is about a good size for a railing or a small fence post. So you can add columns and rows if you wish....just be cautious and be aware it will increase your triangle count.
 Oidar
06-19-2004, 6:26 PM
Ah, much thanks. That was just the answer I needed.
Page: 1 of 1