Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR

Page: 1 of 3
 Master_Keralys
06-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Okay, just a discussion of whether the best-selling game Knights of the Old Republic can be considered canon or not. I'm not as familiar with that particular era of sW history - I know the basics, but have only recently started reading the comics and whatnot set ther - so can someone clear this mystery up for me (Astrotoy7 should no, maybe StarWarsPhreak...)
 Sead the Darkes
06-17-2004, 4:52 PM
KotOR is 4000 years before Episode I and 40 years after Exar Kun war. In KotOR Republic is in existence for 20000 years. So in Episode I Republic is 24000 years old. Episode II is 10 after Episode I. Episode III is 2-3 years after Episode II. Episode IV is 20 years after Episode III. Episode V after IV- not certain. Episode VI 1 year after Episode V.

Is that it?
 Poggle
06-17-2004, 5:03 PM
i would have thought kotor is canon for that era as it is the first material in that era while exar kun is mentioned little from that era is really in the game so kotor probably can be considered canon.
 PR-0927
06-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Sead the Darkes
KotOR is 4000 years before Episode I and 40 years after Exar Kun war. In KotOR Republic is in existence for 20000 years. So in Episode I Republic is 24000 years old. Episode II is 10 after Episode I. Episode III is 2-3 years after Episode II. Episode IV is 20 years after Episode III. Episode V after IV- not certain. Episode VI 1 year after Episode V.

Is that it?

What he said. Plus, it has 113 awards, the most awards any game has received (spelling?) in history. Thirty five of the 113 awards are Game of the Year for ____(music, gameplay, graphics, length, etc.).

It is a must play!! KotOR 2 better be good!! I'm gonna get that. KotOR hit me so much with the awesome storyline, it even affected my name: Majin Revan; Revan was a Sith Lord in KotOR.

Oh, and he was...spoiler anyone?:

You are Darth Revan, your memory gets erased by the Jedi Council and the traitorous laser blast from Darth Malak's ship into yours. Basically, nobody knows if Revan turned bad or good, that is why there are two story lines in KotOR: Dark Side and Light Side.

:fett:
 Astrotoy7
06-20-2004, 3:11 AM
Hi Keralys, are you back !? if so , welcome back !

KOTOR fits into 2nd level (EU) canon well enough, it makes use of the comics that were published explaining events before and after, indeed, there are numerous references to these events in the game dialogue and the little story tidbits you get during loadup...

Since its highly unlikely GL had any input into KOTOR, and any films will be made about this era, it can reside safely as some as a piece of 'unaissailable' canon, namely 'cause it doesnt involve the films' characters/event.....

mtfbwya
 HalfSwedeLarz
06-24-2004, 1:28 AM
is kotor a bad guy?
 PR-0927
06-27-2004, 2:54 PM
*Sigh...*

Can't blame you that much, everyone was saying KotOR.

Here you go:

Knights

of

the

Old

Republic

= KotOR

HalfSwedeLarz
06-27-2004, 6:50 PM
oh ok are you talking about the game or just kotor in general
 PR-0927
06-28-2004, 3:35 PM
LOL!! The game.

HalfSwedeLarz
06-29-2004, 12:09 AM
ok then so why is it caled kotor oh i see it its an abreviation like thing
 ET Warrior
07-01-2004, 9:37 PM
Originally posted by HalfSwedeLarz
ok then so why is it caled kotor oh i see it its an abreviation like thing

Sort of like. ANH, or RotJ, or AotC....etc. etc.
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-01-2004, 10:22 PM
gotcha does KoTOR take up alot of memory on a computer because i want to get it but my moms computer has only so much memory left from me installing LOTS of games
 ZBomber
07-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Let's put it this way, KotOR is 4 discs.....
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-01-2004, 10:43 PM
well no wonder it is a big box well i guess ill be installing it on my dads comp besides his is a nicer one
 fuzzyfreaker
07-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Here's a little hint:
We. Don't. Care. It's a fun game. Kotor is probably one of my favorite RPG's ever. I've played it 12 times (on my 13th) and every time it's different. Buy It. WHo cares on which computer you buy it on. Buy it.
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-02-2004, 12:35 AM
i will can you customize your character?
 fuzzyfreaker
07-02-2004, 12:41 AM
yeah, you can. There are 3 different classes in the beginning, Scout, Soldier, and Scoundrel. You can choose male or female, different faces, and later in the game, jedi classes. the jedi classes are Guardian, Sentinal, and cmon, somebody help me... ARGH! What's the last one??!!?
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-02-2004, 1:37 AM
jedi knight or master
 ET Warrior
07-02-2004, 1:03 PM
Consular.
 Igor_Cavkov
07-02-2004, 1:04 PM
BEST GAME EVER! still playing it! for the 2nd time! now im playing for the darkside! and all the time i get to new stuff and new levels i never saw before! even new scenes! awesome! took me 28hours to complete first time!
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-02-2004, 7:05 PM
dude that guys in sweden kool i wish my dad would move back to sweden anyway what are all of the disks for?
 Igor_Cavkov
07-02-2004, 9:07 PM
LOL well im from Yugoslavia usually.. but i live in sweden with my family.. its cool country! :D back to topic: man cant wait to next KOTOR2!
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-02-2004, 10:43 PM
yes it is a cool country and in KotOR can you fly YOUR OWN ship?
 fuzzyfreaker
07-03-2004, 5:19 AM
norway's better

Anyway, back on topic, you own a ship, the ebon hawk but you really don't fly it, you just choose where you want to go. The only other actions you preform on the ship are killing gizkas, talking to people, and shooting the laser turrets during those little random space battles.

Funny story: I was in one of those space battles, and they were so dang easy, i decided how long you really have to take out those ships. Anyway, i swiched to my VCD player and popped in A New Hope and watched it. I switched back after the movie, and i was still alive...
(best part about singapore, they have VCD's. Low quality DVD's. 12 bucks U.S each, Original and Legal movies, and they have Star Wars on VCD. Yay!
 ET Warrior
07-03-2004, 11:42 AM
anyway what are all of the disks for?

....They're what the game data is stored on, you know, you have to use them to install KOTOR.
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-03-2004, 6:49 PM
all of them?!
 PR-0927
07-03-2004, 8:39 PM
Yes, all of them. The game is not a tiny one. I mean, it is a RPG!! It takes up, like, three gigabytes!!

HalfSwedeLarz
07-03-2004, 9:00 PM
is gigabites the highest?i thought it was killabites
 El Sitherino
07-03-2004, 9:50 PM
is gigabites the highest?i thought it was killabites .... oh. my. gawd. Someone shoot me in the face.

Anyway, I've finally bought KoToR for myself, and Definitely much more fun the second time around.
 PR-0927
07-03-2004, 10:06 PM
is gigabites the highest?i thought it was killabites

You are joking, right? That is, like, the basics of computers!!

*Sigh...*

It goes: bits, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, and then gigabytes. One-thousand kilobytes in a megabyte, one-thousand megabytes in a gigabyte. Oh, and I think one-thousand bytes in a kilobyte.

HalfSwedeLarz
07-03-2004, 10:44 PM
oh well i just learned something
 Jan Gaarni
07-04-2004, 5:18 AM
You are correct, Majin.

The different words mean a certain amount of something.

Kilo means 1 000
Mega means 1 000 000 (1 million)
Giga means 1 000 000 000 (1 billion)
Tera means 1 000 000 000 000 (1 trillion)

Then you have Hecto which means 100, and Deca which means 10, but those arn't used in the computer business to my knowlegde. :)
It's more used in the cooking business. :p
 fuzzyfreaker
07-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Then let us cook! And, nobodys made a Terabyte to my knowledge yet... maybe in the (Dum Dum Dum!) FUTURE!!!
 ET Warrior
07-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Super Computers deal in Terabytes :dozey:
 fuzzyfreaker
07-07-2004, 5:22 AM
wow, that'd hold a heck a lotta games...
 Master_Keralys
07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Hi Keralys, are you back !? if so , welcome back !

KOTOR fits into 2nd level (EU) canon well enough, it makes use of the comics that were published explaining events before and after, indeed, there are numerous references to these events in the game dialogue and the little story tidbits you get during loadup...

Since its highly unlikely GL had any input into KOTOR, and any films will be made about this era, it can reside safely as some as a piece of 'unaissailable' canon, namely 'cause it doesnt involve the films' characters/event.....

mtfbwya

Unfortunately, I'm not back quite yet, I can only bounce in every once in a blue moon. Which is too bad, because I miss it around here...

That's kind of what I figured. The only problem I had was that the Valley of the Sith didn't seem to align correctly with the images we had of it from the comics (even Jedi Academy, which seemed a lot more accurate, at least if I'm remembering correctly). They certainly did a good job of getting the backstory correct up to that point, though. A few other little things bothered me, though I'm not recalling them at the moment, but I think overall the game's pretty safe.

An interesting aside, as well, particularly for the EU nerds out there: The Rakata, if Knights is officially second-level canon on par with the books, comics, etc, could well be the answer to a great number of mysteries. As in, the Maw - which could easily have been assembled by them. As in the Corellian system and Centerpoint itself, which actually seems characteristic of the kind of thing the Rakata seemed to like doing. For that matter, the species that brought the Corellians the hyperdrive in the first place.

Unfortunately, the tidbits I've been hearing about KotOR II would seem to indicate that it will not be canon, as it indicates the Jedi all wiped out except for one (the player character) and that doesn't seem to fit with what we know about the rest of the continuity. But it may, who knows.

I know the timeline; this particular game occurs roughly 3955-3957 years before the battle of Yavin, putting it at about 3925-3927 years before the events of Ep. I. This is taking into account the events of the original Sith War with Exar Kun, which is usually placed with its conclusion at 3996 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Last note, especially for Astrotoy7: did anyone else notice Canderous Ordo's reference in one of his war stories to an early Yuuzhan Vong probe to the galaxy? It was in his story about the situation in the ice asteroid belt.
 PR-0927
07-09-2004, 5:04 PM
Especially for Astrotoy 7?!?! I'm the biggest New Jedi Order Series geek!!

And yes, I did see that, it is the Yuuzhan Vong, just go here:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=131291)

ET Warrior
07-10-2004, 2:31 AM
Originally posted by Majin Revan

Uh oh, you've infringed on his geek honor. There will be hell to pay now:rolleyes:

:p
 fuzzyfreaker
07-12-2004, 1:38 PM
Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight!

Hmmm... I dunno, we don't know much about the Sith Era .remember in ep II they sya there hasn't been a war in a millenia so it's possible that there could of been a time where there wern't many jedi left. Until i see more of the game. I dunno if it's canon or not.
 Astrotoy7
07-19-2004, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Majin Revan

And yes, I did see that, it is the Yuuzhan Vong, just go here:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=131291)

he he he .. Its probably that Keralys doesnt know you Majin,,, he and I have had many EU and NJO discussions in the past, we are on a similar wavelength so he referred to me because he knew I would be interested in such a tidbit had I not noticed it :D

ET, although you may not approve of the NJO, your binary watch still allows you entry into the geek honours system :D

mtfbwya
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-19-2004, 9:17 PM
WHAT IS CANON?!
 Cheech Marin
07-19-2004, 9:26 PM
Stuff that is considered to be "real" in the Star Wars Universe.
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-19-2004, 9:36 PM
ok so why is it called canon?
 Cheech Marin
07-19-2004, 9:48 PM
Uh, I dunno. Any of you smart people care to help me out with this?
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
nobody on LFN is actually smart
 Cheech Marin
07-19-2004, 10:53 PM
OK, you just said there's no smart people on LucasForums. Does that include you as well? :D
 ET Warrior
07-20-2004, 1:48 AM
And here I come to correct you, some people here ARE smart.

canĀ·on1

A secular law, rule, or code of law.

a. An established principle: the canons of polite society.
b. A basis for judgment; a standard or criterion.

It is called canon because that is the word in the English language to describe it.

Canon is the official story of Star Wars. It cannot be refuted in a discussion about star wars, while anything that is not canon can be.
 Jan Gaarni
07-20-2004, 1:59 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

It is called canon because that is the word in the English language to describe it.

Canon is the official story of Star Wars. It cannot be refuted in a discussion about star wars, while anything that is not canon can be.
Let me add to that:

It cannot be refuted, unless it is obviously incorrect.

That doesn't happen alot though and is usually just visually. The mistakes are not intentional.
 Astrotoy7
07-20-2004, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

the term 'canon' in a literary context is derived from the concept of identifying which of the Holy scriptures are accepted as as sacred and authentic texts, and accepted into the 'Biblical canon'.

in the SW universe therefore, canonization, allows for the categorisation of the varying levels of works, be they literary, cinemetic etc according to their relative 'authenticity' in the SW universe. First Level canon is defined by anything which George Lucas has written and or directly stated.....namely the 3 films. Alot of the EU subsequently falls into 2nd level and below canon..... eg. GL approving that chewie and anakin die inthe NJO is second level canon. the KOTOR comics and games are even a lower level, as they have no direct correlation with GL but have used concepts of the 1st/2nd etc levels of canon to create works that fall into the SW expanded universe.....

mtfbwya
 HalfSwedeLarz
07-20-2004, 2:37 PM
knowledge, smartness, and wisdom are all different so just because you answered that doesnt me you people are 'smart'
Page: 1 of 3