Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can See other rooms through Skyboxes

Page: 1 of 1
 Mongo05
06-12-2004, 8:40 PM
Hey whenever i make a sky box and have rooms outside of it i can see them through it, before i couldnt see them(which was good) but all of a sudden i could start seeing them (looked like crap) SOmeone please help!
 RoxStar
06-12-2004, 11:15 PM
A Skybox normally goes on the outside of your map. Skies aren't see through. Download this (http://www.pcgamemods.com/5223/) it has a great skybox tutorial and covers the essential parts of mapping.
 WadeV1589
06-13-2004, 5:37 AM
The problem you're having is most likely a vis issue, if the vis data says you can see those rooms behind the skybox then they will be drawn.

Look up vis, portals, nodes...should bring something useful up.
 zag
06-14-2004, 12:08 PM
maybe your skybox shader is messed
post it?
 wedge2211
06-14-2004, 2:00 PM
Keep in mind that a skybox is drawn behind everything in a map, regardless of the position of the actual sky-shader brush.
 WadeV1589
06-14-2004, 5:36 PM
That's everything you can see according to the vis data for the position the player is standing in, you can easily put stuff behind a skybox connected to the room with the skybox provided you sort the vis data out to block it.
 EvilJedi
06-14-2004, 9:25 PM
Could you use system/nodraw? I am not sure exactly what it does but maybe it works? I have the same problem too, and a few friends of mine do too. It looks horrible I agree...
 WadeV1589
06-14-2004, 9:43 PM
If anything you have to use hint and always do a vis compile to check it is actually in-vis-ible (aha :p).

Always think of one thing though...if you can see a room through a skybox and it's connected to the room you're in then logically you should be able to see the exterior of that room/building through that window anyway... so you've built something wrong then.
 zeimi
06-15-2004, 6:47 AM
I recommend building your maps with logically placed windows or placing some brushes that are seen with the skybox to represent outer walls of your other rooms.
Page: 1 of 1