Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The day after tomorrow - RPG

Page: 2 of 2
 LukeKatarn
06-27-2004, 12:33 PM
"Sorry but, time is critacle. Ok have it your way. Ok people we have 15 minutes left. We MUST hurry."
 jokemaster
06-28-2004, 5:09 PM
((If someone will sum up the story for me, I'll join. I just watched DAT last week))
 Cercueil
07-01-2004, 7:36 PM
Toby was surprised to see people moving. He tried and nearly failed, but their lives werent his first concern; his was. they were leaving soon and knowing that he would have to rely on some of those in this room, possibly, for his life made his stomache turn, but where he was from you didnt leave people behind and you tended to the rest as best you could. sometimes that was a hindurance, but situations like this were here to test your character and when it came down to it your character was the only thing that mattered. It didnt matter if you were heavy or thin, pretty or ugly, tall or short, it was your character that defined you and he made a pledge to himself to remain true to. his buddys refered to him as "the last boy scout." He should have never had that movie night.

the movie was going to be "last man standing," but someone had gotten to it before he did. they decided to watch a Willis movie and a few of them hadnt seen "boy scout" so he picked it up. action with a bit of morality bathed in roughness; overall he licked it. looking towards teh drapped entrance he tightened his gear and grabbed a few rags and tied them to the frame.
"damnt, i forgot a cover." it was a minor inconvience, but teh cover would double up as other things and was waterproof.
"oh well, one minor setback." he figured they could stop someplace else on teh way and he would try to find one. either way they had better leave soon or they would be stuck inthat building for another night.

most people had reluctantly bathed a bit, but he could tell some of them felt more refreshed and their spirits rose. He wondered on how many of them would die on the way back to Lafayette or how others would deal with the extremes they would face. Most people in this day and age are so used to modern conviences that they couldnt hack it in the wild for more than a week without thier computers, fancy meals, and electricity. He wasnt sure that he would fair well either, mind you, but growing up in the backwoods of Morgan City and living off food that would make most northerners wretch gave him an edge and the knowledge that he know he could help them. sure, getting past the gross factor would take longer for some, but faced with starvation and death you would be surprised on what you will allow yourself to do.

"whats the time. I figure we have only a small amount left before we are here for another night. the supplies you brought back should be well enough, but..." pausing for a second to mutter a slight chuckle, "but I think we are all going to be exceptionally well aquanted when this is all over." looking around he noticed a few more faces than usual looking in his direction; and even a few smiles. "Im not sure if any of you know where we are going, but I thought I would give you a bit of info. Im from Lafayette, Louisiana. its in southern Louisiana and, I hope, the climate down there wasnt too affected by this shift. now, it could be under water as far as I know or we could be hiking on ice till we get to the Gulf, but Im sure its still there." it had to be there...

"Everyone will be expected to help and, God willing, we wont have any problems other than some chilly winds. I dont intend on leaving anyone to die, but if you dont pull your own then we wont have a choice. Also, keep in mind that we will all need to work together. if someone needs help....help them." he was sounding like his father again and his mouth went a little dry. "as long as we have snow we can melt it to drink. as long as we have shelter, we can all work to keep warm. there is no reason why we all cant make it, but staying here...in this city...well, lets just say they will be thawing you out in a thousand years on some lab table trying to figure out what your last meal was and what you had been doing when you died," he chuckled again,"lets not let them find us in here when we could have left."

"when everyone is ready...lets go."
 Curt-Man
07-01-2004, 10:14 PM
"toby! you take the lead, i'll take the rear" trent had been happy with how devoted toby was, he was willing to help people he didn't even know, and now that everyone was washed, they had an easier time travelling, they hiked out of the building down to their destination, it would be long and treachorous, trent would make sure everyone would make it, they had to, or else they would die of starvation or be frozen in ice, lets hope layfayette would be more suitable for living in.
 Cercueil
07-02-2004, 2:35 PM
"i dont know the city and I have no idea on how to get out of it. to be honest, Im not even sure on what part of the city I'm...um, we are currently in." he was right and he could very well just lead them to the atlantic rather than teh gulf. the sun was out and that gave him an idea on which direction he had to go, but to get out of the city would require a better route. he wasnt comfortable crossing an icy river, but he didnt even know how to get there to begin with.
"perhaps one of the others could aid me in getting us out of the city. once out we can use a map and the sun and stars. I dont trust the poles, much, so using a compass could have us moving all over the globe. the topography and land marks ahve probably changed so just understanding that we are heading southeast migh be enough, but still..." he did feel honored that he was asked to take the lead, but with it came the fear of letting those people down. no, he wasnt going to do it alone. he was going to ask for help.
"anyone familiar with this part of the country? your input could be invaluable to getting us out and further into the country.." the next though hit him hard. what if the poles shifted and the sun now rose from some other direction? no. dont interject doubt now.
"anyone?"
 Curt-Man
07-02-2004, 10:40 PM
" i do!" cried a teenage about 16 " i know this city off by heart even if we are 2 stories up, i'll take you around, lets go then" (i'm too lazy to make a profile for this dude) the kid lead toby around with expertise, he went with skill and devotion.
 Cercueil
07-03-2004, 5:28 PM
He couldnt have been more than fifteen, sixteen tops, but he was stepping up to help.
"good and thanks. im not from here so take the lead, son, and lead away."

it didnt take long to get out ofhte building and to the ground. he took a look at the pastry shop that had been his home for a day or so and gave it a nod.
"see ya, Bridgette, cant say it was fun visiting, but i sure thank you for the hospitality."
the people around him gave him a stare, but he didnt mind. it was just courtesy to thank those--even things--that help you out when you need it most. He wouldnt soon forget Bridgettes Pastries and Deli or this city. he couldnt wait to visit it and now he couldnt wait to leave.

a bit of wind wipped his face and it felt like his breath froze as he exhaled. it would be a long hike, but he was sure it would OK. Looking back he could see hope on some of the faces and fright on others. he was scared, too, but he had to get home.
"OK....If anyone needs help or has any questions or may know a better way of doing thing let everyone know. It wont help anyone if you keep it to yourselves."

Looking down the street the sun was beating off the ice and whisps of snow were being thrown in the air. He didnt care why it happened, anymore, but just how to get home.
 Writer
07-03-2004, 6:11 PM
((OK, WTF... if you don't wash, you die? How does that work?))

Amy shuddered at the thought of the cold water, but she knew how much better she would feel if she did. She got it done as quickly as she could and slipped into some clothes, piling layer after layer to keep warm while outside.

The search for clothing in the building had been successful and everybody was wearing more than one layer.

Amy's hair was still wet when she came out from behind the tarp, but she found a hat, dried it, and put it on.

"That should be better," she muttered, more to herself than to anyone else.
 Cercueil
07-03-2004, 6:46 PM
((no. you wont die, but the oils and dirt on your skin and inside of your clothes would make keeping warm very difficult. it would actually work the opposite to what you would expect. clean skin allows teh poors to do their job of keep the body cool or warm. dirty skin clogs pores and cause the body to overheat and other things including sweating when you dont need it to. teh moisture produced by your sweat will stick to your clothes (and the placed dirt and oil) and youll lose warming power as the moisture freezes and takes body heat with it.

Case in point. I had gone to Kentucky to do some camping and it got down to about 15degrees. I had thought wearing two pairs of wool socks would have kept my feet warm, but it only caused them to sweat. the moisture stayed on my skin and the wool only made the situation worse. the temp caused the sweat to lower its temp in relation to my body and caused it to cool. the socks, however, kept my feet sweating. strange. anyway, my feet felt like ice for entire night and I was misserable. I solved the problem the next night by getting some poly hiking liners that remove moisture from the skin and washed my feet before going to bed. long story short...my feet, even though they did sweat, stayed warm because they were clean and teh liners caused the moisture to be moved away from my skin.

so, no, not washing wont kill you, but in the long run it will make you colder and causing your body to work harder causing you to overheat and the moisture on your clothes to freeze thereby causing your core temp to drop over time....yadda yadda yadda.

im sure someone that lives up north could fill in the blanks and correct any mistakes i made. im from the deep south so my experience in cold temps is limited.))
 Writer
07-03-2004, 7:52 PM
((Thanks, Ceruceil. That makes sense, but one of the other guys was saying something about dying if you didn't wash... that's what I was referring to.))
 Cercueil
07-03-2004, 8:22 PM
((understood...however, the motivation factor of saying you will die would certainly have me in the buff and jumping into a bath in no time :D ))
 Writer
07-03-2004, 11:17 PM
((Only if you didn't know better... wich I would hope you do after that little speech of yours:D ))
 Curt-Man
07-03-2004, 11:37 PM
(yeah, well like i said my dude was a motivational speaker so what ever motives he can preform, t'would help)
 LukeKatarn
07-05-2004, 8:02 AM
((LOL. My guy goes "OK ALL OF YOU WHO DIDN'T WASH WILL NOW DIE!" Jared pulls out a gun and starts fireing at the dirty people. LOL :D)) Jared thinks to himself "Wow this kid he is really listening to Toby. This is what all the people should be like."
 Curt-Man
07-05-2004, 2:11 PM
Finaly after a long journey they got to the boreder of the city
"well its your show fomr now on, we are out of the city, hope we can make it as soon as possible"
 Cercueil
07-07-2004, 4:29 PM
over the last several hours toby had come to enjoy the company of his young friend. his knowledge of the city made the journey to the outskirts easier and his almost "tour guide" attitude had put toby at ease. now came the hard part. they were out of the city and facing due east as far as he could tell. the corpses of those unfortunate enough to be caught out in cold called out to them with fearsome gestures and made him feel uneasy.

he knew they had to leave the city or they would die, but they could die just the same out in the open just as easy. it would take them weeks if not months to make it Lafayette. it was going to be hard time. his watch told him it was noon; high noon. gunfighters would use this time as niether slinger would be caught with the sun thier eyes as they faced death. it was a good plan, but toby was sure a few purposely chose different times to...he was doing it again. daydreaming about things past to cover his fear of the present situation. it would be easier if they could find some type of transportation to move them along quicker before they would have to stop and make camp. the night was going to rough and he was afraid that they would lose some to exposure. their numbers were high and with the few straglers that joined them through the city he was certain they would lose one or two that night. perhaps that wouldnt be all that bad. or perhaps it would be enough to dampen the spirits of the rest. he wasnt sure, but he couldnt harbor onthe whatifs.

"we can make it about two or three more hours then we will have to stop and set up camp. we had better not wait till it gets close to dark to work on it for the first time." the words fell to blank faces. im sure they expected to make it further, but they needed the time to work the camp up. they had food and he figured that other guy--whats his name again, he had always had a bad memory for that sort of stuff--he would get them organized to get things set up for the night. toby would definatley work with the group that put up the shelter. all he could do was hope it would stand up to the wind and cold. he hoped he just didnt lead these people to their deaths.
 LukeKatarn
07-11-2004, 8:23 AM
(Tell me if this sounds pathetic but...) Suddenly a whole herd of horses was walking by. Very cold they were on their way south too. "Hey guys, let's take a ride on theese horses." Jared hopped on one.
 Curt-Man
07-11-2004, 2:43 PM
(wow, that is really homosexual, why not just get some wolly mamoths)
 Redwing
07-11-2004, 9:47 PM
(("that is really homosexual"? You people are SO strange. :D))
 Writer
07-13-2004, 8:41 PM
((If the eye of the storm was cold enough to freeze a human to death in seconds, a herd of horses would not survive either... ok, now I'm a little irritated... who of the people participating in this RPG have actually seen the movie? If you haven't seen it, why did you join? Tepe, the starter of the thread left because y'all were getting too far from the movie and suggesting things that wouldn't work with his idea... I'm beginning to think the same. Sorry guys, but if you don't know the movie, it's sorta hard to impress those of us who have.))
 Cercueil
07-15-2004, 1:49 PM
i havnt seen the movie, but with the amount of disaster films that i have seen in my lifetime i figured it wouldnt be that difficult to work with.

the formula for a disaster film.

mother nature or man causes some ecological disaster
one person (man or woman) sees this coming and tries to warn the authorities.
the authorities, citing some other figures and scientists, ignore the impending doom until its proven by some freakish way.
a family member of the scientists is always in harms way (most recent addition) and they are bound to save them.
the scientists, or ameture, then spend the remainder of the film reminding everyone that they were right and this could have been avoided and lives could have been saved.

now, depending on the type of disaster:
a group of survivors begins the trek to higher or safer grounds. they will always lose a few to accidents (to emphisis the danger) or by some heroic act.
they will always ahve to travers over some rickety bridge or tree where one or two people will die, but the kids are always saved by one person (either the stories hero or a woman that ends up dieing).
for some films the "bad" guy will always die in some show of selfishness or he will survive and regret not listiening or causing the disaster.

All major catastrophies have the hero as the most unlikely person and, depending on its location, will always give thier life to save mankind (or die trying).

if youre in the opening credits...you live...mostly.

now, through all of them, though, the underlying message is always the same: look before you jump so you understand where youre jumping too.

im sure ive missed some of hte underlying cliches of disaster films, but they are typically the same. Lately, there have been a slew of Cliched films that are uterlly predictible, but with enough twists to keep them interesting (except 10.5 and atomic train).

so i saw the day after as being just another take on the typical disaster film and applied that formula to it. hell, i was even going to have my character die in the Mississippi river. regardless, i apologize if i was one that pushed the creator away. I was just appling the "journey to safer ground" aspect. i was just going to ignore the horse thing no matter how cute it was.
 Curt-Man
07-15-2004, 2:39 PM
hahah, that is so true, i'm slow so i wouldn't catch on to that unless someone told me, like you:D , but yeah i have a feelign this thread is going in a downward spiral
 LukeKatarn
07-16-2004, 3:39 PM
(( WHY IS EVERYONE SO CRITICLE!!!????? I SAID TELL ME IS THIS IS PATHETIC AND WHAT DO YOU DO???? YOU YELL AT ME!!!!!!:mad: :D )) Jared saw a strangler behind. He went back to help him. Jared picked up the strangler and ran back to the herd.
 Writer
07-16-2004, 7:52 PM
((Chill out, Luke! First, you said, and I quote you, "Tell me if this sounds pathetic but..." As I said, the eye of the storm was too cold for there to be any horses now. Any existing horses would already be in the south, not trying to get there as we are... or should I say as you are? I feel that there's nothing I can add to this that will get it back on track with my idea of where the movie may have headed if it kept going. Sorry, guys, I'm out.))
 LukeKatarn
07-18-2004, 8:57 AM
(( It wasn't just you. Curt's quote was well...))
 Curt-Man
07-19-2004, 3:20 PM
( it was what? homosexual is my word, of course i don't use it for its actually meaning)
 LukeKatarn
07-22-2004, 9:59 PM
(( I didn't takle it personally I'm just saying that everyone doesn't have to go off and go "idiot."))
 Redwing
07-23-2004, 1:46 AM
((Originally posted by Curt-Man
( it was what? homosexual is my word, of course i don't use it for its actually meaning)

Yeah, well, you wouldn't say "wow that is really jewish" now would you? :p

(hint, the answer is no ;))))
 Curt-Man
07-23-2004, 2:16 PM
(nah i wouldn't but i know a whole bunch of people who would)
 LukeKatarn
07-23-2004, 10:20 PM
((OK so will the thread continue with the 3 who remain or do we lett his fricking thing die?))
Page: 2 of 2