Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA Audio problems...

Page: 1 of 1
 Bun Bun
05-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi all.
I recently got JKA, when it went on sale at Best Buy. What I am running into is this: sometimes when playing, the game will freeze, then go to a black screen (my monitor will actually go into power save!), and I will get a nasty "crackle, crackle, pop" noise from my speakers. If I leave it for a few seconds, the crackle goes to a squeel, pause, squeel, etc. I ran into this a few times when I first loaded the game, so I checked for updated audio and video drivers, and then loaded the most current.

System specs are:
Win2K Pro SP4
AMD AthlonXP 2400 (2Ghz not overclocked)
GigaByte GA7N400-Pro2 motherboard (on-board audio disabled in BIOS0
1GB DDR333 RAM (Dual Channeled)
36.4GB WD Raptor (C drive)
2x80GB HDs (RAID-0 D drive, game installed here)
120GB HD (E drive)
Radeon 9700Pro (built by ATI)
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum (*not* the external model)
Intel Pro1000MT NIC
16x DVD-ROM
2.4x DVD+RW
Antec TruePower 550w PS

Any ideas?
I've gotten through all but the last level now without a problem, now it's been crashing so much I've given up trying to get through the level.

I may re-load the system this weekend, if so, I'm planning to load WinXP Pro, might that help?

The system has no problems like this in any other game I play, such as BattleField 1942 / Vietnam.

Thanks,
Jason A.
 Crow_Nest
05-29-2004, 4:26 AM
have you gotten the 1.01 patch?
 Durocha
05-29-2004, 10:34 AM
If you haven't already, turn EAX off. I have the same pops and snapping sounds (Thought, never crashed the game.) and when I turned that off, I could hear again. Especially on the last levels. Lots of fire seems to do that.
 Bun Bun
05-29-2004, 8:05 PM
Lets' see, the game was 1.01 out of the box, so check on the update.

I have EAX disabled, and even turned the sound quality down to low.

Thanks though, for the suggestions...
Sorry I didn't mention this in the orignal post, too...

Jason A.
 Durocha
05-30-2004, 6:00 AM
You could aslo try updating your sound drivers. I'm not the biggest PC expert, so I give the expert advise, sorry.
 saurumonk
05-30-2004, 10:51 AM
i had the same prob with xp but there is an update for it that alleviates that problem maybe there is one for your OS as well

it does not entirely get rid of it but it does make it occur less frequently but here are a few tricks that you can do to prevent it:

if the game freezes up and goes black screen or back to desktop before the opening credits hit alt immediately then bring down the console and quit. go to sounds in the start menu and drag the volume to maximum then back down to about 3 bars

also sometimes you ahve to wait for machine load and make sure your system is running less than 10% total usage before you start the game, otherwise it will happen again.

it still happens to me if i have run anything else before JA without a reboot but after that one time I do that trick and then move the mouse very slowely over the title screen and for some reason it prevents the sound glitch. hjope it works for you!

also i just noticed you have an ATI product that may also have something to do with it, read the ATI readme about certain programs clashing with it i have an ATI video wonder and that is one of the programs that hurts JA maybe that card is doing it
Page: 1 of 1