Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Over Shadowed by Battlefront?

Page: 1 of 2
 Xirion
05-22-2004, 5:29 AM
Will RC live int he shadows of SW Battlefront?
 StormHammer
05-22-2004, 8:11 AM
Why should it? Battlefront is a different type of game, and a 'squad-based' shooter hasn't been done in the SW universe before.

In addition, being built on the Unreal engine, it should be slightly easier for mod crews to get into making mods for it. Battlefront is supposed to have an editor as well...but who knows how customisable that game really is?

I think each game will stand on it's own merits.
 ZBomber
05-22-2004, 8:16 PM
I'm looking forward to RCommando more..... but i still can't wait for Battlefront. ;)
 Taos
05-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I'm looking forward to RCommando more..... but i still can't wait for Battlefront. ;)

I must agree with my friend Zed here. Ever since I saw the preview for RC, it's been close to the top of my list. I haven't really made up my mind about BF yet though.
 lukeiamyourdad
05-22-2004, 11:35 PM
It's like comparing Splinter Cell with UT2k4.
The two are simply different. just because they have "Star Wars" in their name doesn't mean anything.
If we go by that logic, KotOR overshadows every other Star Wars game up to date.
 Xirion
05-23-2004, 8:24 AM
i still see people going BF over RC though, it may not be simialar, but BF will make a bigger impact.

Im not saying RC is gonna be crap, im looking forward to it
 tFighterPilot
05-23-2004, 5:18 PM
The reason I look more to Battlefront is that RC just doesn't gives me a Star Wars feeling, and why should it?
 ZBomber
05-23-2004, 9:43 PM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
The reason I look more to Battlefront is that RC just doesn't gives me a Star Wars feeling, and why should it?

Battlefront and RC are both coming to PC and XBox.......
 tFighterPilot
05-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Battlefront and RC are both coming to PC and XBox....... Does it have any connection whatso****ingever to what I wrote or did you just randomly quoted me?
 Eets
05-24-2004, 2:54 PM
Does it have any connection whatso****ingever to what I wrote or did you just randomly quoted me?

I'm thinking not. :D
 ZBomber
05-24-2004, 7:51 PM
Does it have any connection whatso****ingever to what I wrote or did you just randomly quoted me?

Sorry, read RC as PC......

My mistake, if you read it like that, my post makes sence. :o :p
 Xirion
05-25-2004, 5:43 AM
lol
 adillon
05-27-2004, 2:15 PM
i've always been more of a UT2k3/2k4 fan than a BF1942 fan ... which means that i'm looking forward to RC more than BF.

but BF1942 had vehicles ... oh wait, so does UT2k4 ... does that mean RC might have that capability as well???
 tFighterPilot
05-27-2004, 4:02 PM
Originally posted by adillon
i've always been more of a UT2k3/2k4 fan than a BF1942 fan ... which means that i'm looking forward to RC more than BF.

but BF1942 had vehicles ... oh wait, so does UT2k4 ... does that mean RC might have that capability as well??? Most probably not.

RC is more like Ghost Recon or something than UT
 ZBomber
05-27-2004, 4:02 PM

but BF1942 had vehicles ... oh wait, so does UT2k4 ... does that mean RC might have that capability as well???

It might, but I have a feeling it will be more "Foot-battle" type combat.......
 Gabrobot
05-27-2004, 4:25 PM

Depends on what you mean by that...I don't think the game, itself, will include vehicles because of the type of game it's trying to be, but you can do just about whatever you want in the UnrealEngine. So yes you can have vehicles, but I don't think the game will include them.
 Prime
05-27-2004, 4:27 PM
I'm looking forward to both, but I'm always leary about games that rely on other players for realism...
 Clemme w/Stick
05-28-2004, 3:48 AM
Republic Commando all the way.
I'm not too hyped about Battlefront, since I never really like BF1942. I might get it, just for the fun of it, but I'm really looking forward to Republic Commando.

-Clemme
 adillon
05-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Gabrobot
Depends on what you mean by that...I don't think the game, itself, will include vehicles because of the type of game it's trying to be, but you can do just about whatever you want in the UnrealEngine. So yes you can have vehicles, but I don't think the game will include them.
that is what i meant ... since the unreal engine is very mod friendly, if RC doesn't come with any direct vehicle access in-game i'm sure the community of mod makers can hook us up.

but maybe this game doesn't really call for it, because as ZBomber said, it seems to have the CQB (Close Quarters Battle) type of theme.

/me still wants it either way. :D
 Xirion
06-02-2004, 6:31 AM
hopefully it is very challenging and not just shooter based
 ZBomber
06-02-2004, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by Xirion
hopefully it is very challenging and not just shooter based

Don't get ypur hopes up, seems like it'll be quite easy if you are good at shooters.
 lukeiamyourdad
06-02-2004, 9:17 PM
It depends on how many hits it'll take you to die. In tactical shooters you usually die pretty quickly. We'll see how this turns out.
 Corax
06-21-2004, 12:40 PM
I have seen both trailers and i think that republic commando looks alot better but battle front has loads of differant armys and battles..but camando rules!! :P

Corax
 eastcoast2895
06-22-2004, 9:20 AM
it defintily seems to be overshadowed by battlefront in the lucasforums community, but the only reason republic commando is overshadowed by battlefront in other places is the lack of information republic commando has compared to battlefront. if there was more information about commando then more people would be here to join the bandwagon.
i am really looking forward to commando, it is my style of game of high action first person shooter. after playing demos of joint operations and soldner, two battlefield type games, i've stopped being overally exicited about battlefront because i've gotten bored in both games so now i'm going wait a little longer than i would have to see if i want to buy battlefront.
 tFighterPilot
06-22-2004, 9:30 AM
If you're not a Star Wars fan, than you would obviously not be a Battlefront fan. I am a Star Wars fan, thus I am.

If you like tom clansy type games, and not a Star Wars fan, you will probably prefer this one.
 Corax
06-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Well I'm sure that they'll both be great games! :D but you really need to play them to determine which one is better...I'm fot comando!! i love squad games like tom clansy games..and games like battle front too..but it think cammando is gonna be better :P

Corax
 eastcoast2895
06-25-2004, 12:31 AM
i think tfighterpilot's point about battlefront is dead on. with so many bf1942 type multiplayer games coming out, it is starting to depend on what the game is based on which will gain interest of people.
also if i was a big clancy fan, i wouldn't be too excited about this game because it looks to be more arcady and unrealistic than clancy games. the squad system seems to be all about quick access with quick action opposed to clancy games that are more about methodical strategy in my opinion.
 StormHammer
06-25-2004, 11:37 AM
I prefer accessibility and faster action, to be honest, and I'm not a fan of the 'heavier' tactical shooters that require micro-management of your squad and careful planning before you even start a mission or make a move.

I like a more 'reactive' style of play where I have to think quickly on my feet and take quick and immediate action to counter a move by the enemy. From what I've seen of RC so far, I think it will play more to my style.
 fuzzyfreaker
06-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Hmm, to me, this seems like a more action filled version of Rainbow Six 3, which i love, and i love star wars, but i hate ghost recon... look's like i'll enjoy this game. And possibly i'll try Ghost Recon 2 and see if i can learn to like it...
 Lord Tyreal
07-08-2004, 6:21 PM
Im looking forward to both but more towards battlefront because its coming out sooner but why does everybody compare RC to UR2k4 it should be compared to Rainbow six 3 or something similar to it, UR2k4 is no where related to RC besides its engine.

by the way I sent you a PM fuzzyfreaker
 Sabretooth
07-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Maybe, but like both games. I like RC more though, since Battlefront's main front will be at multiplayer, and I don't have good connection, see?

Besides, I want to explore out of the movies, so RC for me. :)
 Evil Dark Jedi
07-27-2004, 6:40 AM
I will be getting both games.I hope there both equal.
 Pad
07-28-2004, 9:05 AM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
I will be getting both games.I hope there both equal. Equal? Maybe some points can be likewise but both games are totally different things. Parties, timeline, way of playing it,...
 tFighterPilot
07-28-2004, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by Pad
Equal? Maybe some points can be likewise but both games are totally different things. Parties, timeline, way of playing it,... You really don't know much about Battlefront are you? Yeah, they are very different, but only in the way of playing it, not in the parties and timeline.
 Pad
07-28-2004, 10:03 AM
You really don't know much about Battlefront are you? Yeah, they are very different, but only in the way of playing it, not in the parties and timeline. I actually know quite some things on BF. I only lurk more at that section then I do here. And itґs not that simple to explain why I see both games different. Maybe read Stormhammers post about it, help you comprehend ;)
 tFighterPilot
07-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Pad
I actually know quite some things on BF. I only lurk more at that section then I do here. And itґs not that simple to explain why I see both games different. Maybe read Stormhammers post about it, help you comprehend ;) I comprehend it really well, and I prefer bold over italic
 ZBomber
07-28-2004, 9:04 PM
You really don't know much about Battlefront are you? Yeah, they are very different, but only in the way of playing it, not in the parties and timeline.

Yes, but Republic Commando is based SOULY in the Prequel Era, while, correct me if I'm wrong, BF is in both OT and PT eras.

Italic-Bold is the best. :D
 JDKnite188
07-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Battlefront is going to be the big multiplayer game while I am betting that RC will be dominant in single player action. Battlefront is like the correct version of JA's siege.

I think both will be great games, but Battlefront comes first. RC doesn't come out for a long while. I just have to wait to see how the world reacts to BF for now.
 ZBomber
07-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
Battlefront is going to be the big multiplayer game while I am betting that RC will be dominant in single player action. Battlefront is like the correct version of JA's siege.

I think both will be great games, but Battlefront comes first. RC doesn't come out for a long while. I just have to wait to see how the world reacts to BF for now.

Maybe it is good BF will most likely be more popular. You guys can have all the noobs. ;)

I'll buy Battlefront sometime, but I'm definetly getting RC the day it comes out. ;)
 adillon
07-29-2004, 12:46 PM
i think battlefront will end up being like every other online game of that type (battlefield 1942, halo, ut2004 [assault] etc) ... eventually it MIGHT turn into how many snowspeeders does it take to lift an AT-AT off the ground, or how many people can stand on top of an AT-ST ... which when highlighted on OWN-AGE.COM (http://www.own-age.com/) can be impressive and downright hilarious at times, but it's not the type of game i'm looking for, nor have ever been interested in.

different strokes for different folks ... if that's how they wanna play, so be it. they spent their hard-earned money just like i did, but i don't see RC having many 'stunt' movies coming out of it.
:rolleyes:
 tFighterPilot
07-29-2004, 1:28 PM
i think battlefront will end up being like every other online game of that type (battlefield 1942, halo, ut2004 [assault] etc) ... eventually it MIGHT turn into how many snowspeeders does it take to lift an AT-AT off the ground, or how many people can stand on top of an AT-ST ... which when highlighted on OWN-AGE.COM (http://www.own-age.com/) can be impressive and downright hilarious at times, but it's not the type of game i'm looking for, nor have ever been interested in.

different strokes for different folks ... if that's how they wanna play, so be it. they spent their hard-earned money just like i did, but i don't see RC having many 'stunt' movies coming out of it.
:rolleyes: Lift an AT AT of the ground with a Snow Speeder? :/

I'd like to see that...
 ZBomber
07-29-2004, 1:51 PM
Oi, lets hope not...

How many Clones can you have breakdance on a battle droid's head? -_-
 adillon
07-29-2004, 4:54 PM
if you've ever seen any of these 'stunt' movies i'm referring to you know what i'm talking about ...

- a UT2004 vid showing them lifting the tank with 4 raptors
- a halo vid showing them plant explosives and when the warthog runs over them it's sent flying
- a bf1942 vid of players standing on a b-17's wing while it's in flight (because THAT is realistic)
- a bf1942 vid of a guy flying a plane and going in a loop, free-falls, and as the plane gets to the bottom of the loop he magically lands in the cockpit

... again, to each his/her own, but i don't see any highlight videos like these coming out of RC.
 ZBomber
07-29-2004, 4:56 PM
if you've ever seen any of these 'stunt' movies i'm referring to you know what i'm talking about ...

- a UT2004 vid showing them lifting the tank with 4 raptors
- a halo vid showing them plant explosives and when the warthog runs over them it's sent flying
- a bf1942 vid of players standing on a b-17's wing while it's in flight (because THAT is realistic)
- a bf1942 vid of a guy flying a plane and going in a loop, free-falls, and as the plane gets to the bottom of the loop he magically lands in the cockpit

... again, to each his/her own, but i don't see any highlight videos like these coming out of RC.

And... is this a good thing or a bad thing? Are you saying there won't be many people fooling around in RC like they do in most other games?
 Pad
07-29-2004, 5:00 PM
And... is this a good thing or a bad thing? Are you saying there won't be many people fooling around in RC like they do in most other games?
However you see, there will always be people trying to fool around. Dont think there is a way to exclude that.
 ZBomber
07-29-2004, 9:57 PM
Originally posted by Pad
However you see, there will always be people trying to fool around. Dont think there is a way to exclude that.

I can think of a way! Make a game without friendly fire, no way to commit suicide, not even weapons! In fact, I think I will call it Pong ;)

:D
 Evil Dark Jedi
07-30-2004, 5:51 AM
Originally posted by Pad
Equal? Maybe some points can be likewise but both games are totally different things. Parties, timeline, way of playing it,...

I meant equal as the graphics and gameplay.Battlefront will be better in my opinion because it is my type of game.Battlefront is also like republic commando because you can command ai players in both games.Ill be getting both as i have already said but ill be more intrested in Battlefront.
 adillon
07-30-2004, 8:39 AM
oh, it's neither a good thing nor a bad thing ... just not MY thing. i know there are people in UT2003/4 who are masters at trick jumping, and others get their kicks screwing around with vehicles ... maybe that's the root of my point, the lack of vehicluar action (as far as we know) will *HOPEFULLY* limit these types of activities. i was even in a JK2 clan where the majority of the time spent on the server was seeing how tall a 'human' tower could be made, or how the mines could be arranged to form words ... all in all just a glorified chat room. all i'm trying to say is that i'm the type of player (not that anybody really cares :p ) who will play the gametypes as they're meant to be played, to get the full feeling for the elite commando role in this galaxy far far away.
 tFighterPilot
07-30-2004, 8:50 AM
I was in the head of that tower :D
 ZBomber
07-30-2004, 11:30 AM
oh, it's neither a good thing nor a bad thing ... just not MY thing. i know there are people in UT2003/4 who are masters at trick jumping, and others get their kicks screwing around with vehicles ... maybe that's the root of my point, the lack of vehicluar action (as far as we know) will *HOPEFULLY* limit these types of activities. i was even in a JK2 clan where the majority of the time spent on the server was seeing how tall a 'human' tower could be made, or how the mines could be arranged to form words ... all in all just a glorified chat room. all i'm trying to say is that i'm the type of player (not that anybody really cares :p ) who will play the gametypes as they're meant to be played, to get the full feeling for the elite commando role in this galaxy far far away.

Yes, Jedi Outcast was much like that, espcially with those mods where you could sneeze, puke, etc..... a few moinths after it's release, there weren't many games without people clowning around.
Page: 1 of 2