Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

x-wing trench run?

Page: 1 of 1
 toms
05-18-2004, 8:46 AM
this may not be the best place to ask, but has anyone got any tips on beating the death star trench run in x-wing? I rarely even manage to get as far as the trench.... :(
 Wildstar
05-18-2004, 12:29 PM
toms

There's a "complete" (nothing on TIE Fighter) TacOps library starting from the first link in my signature. Navigate "Tactical", X-Wing Tours of Duty, and then Tour 3, Mission 14 for the trench run TacOp. BTW, you fly it again in B-wing Historical Simulation #6, only this time in a B-wing. If you're too lazy to go through all that, you can find the TacOp in question here (http://www.crs-morningstar.net/tacop.php?id=136), but learn to navigate the site, because you can always come back to these TacOps if you have trouble w/ the later missions.

I also find (though not on my comment for the TacOp) that if you get rid of the T/As as well as the T/Fs, it will make your life easier. Don't worry about wasting time, either, b/c there's no time limit in a Tour of Duty mission. ;)
 Keyan Farlander
05-19-2004, 1:17 AM
Um...as I recall, in X-Wing, if you haven't completed the mission objectives by the time the counter reaches 0:00, you automatically hyperspace home.
 Wildstar
05-19-2004, 2:27 PM
Keyan

No, time limits only apply to the Historical Combat Simulations (the six missions for each type of craft, plus the CD Bonus missions). In the Tours of Duty, you could take as long as needed. If this weren't the case, one of the old Rogue Squadron (the most elite squadron that was founded on CompuServe over 10 years ago) requirements could never be fulfilled (the destruction of the FRG Gorgon in Tour 1, Mission 1).
 Keyan Farlander
05-20-2004, 2:24 AM
I don't think so, because as long as you had completed the mission objectives, you would not be hyperspaced home when the counter reached 0:00. What would be the point in having a countdown if it wasn't counting down to anything?
 Wildstar
05-21-2004, 2:17 PM
Keyan

Normally, they set the clock in Tour of Duty missions to a figure that they think most players can complete the mission in. However, I don't think you automatically hyper out if the clock runs out w/o completing the mission objectives. A good test is to try Tour of Duty 3, Mission 14 (yes, the trench run toms asked about to start this thread) and let the clock run out before starting the actual trench run. As a beginner, I had it happen and I was not automatically "sent home" (yes, I played w/ the T/As before starting my run).
 Keyan Farlander
05-21-2004, 4:47 PM
Well, it could be an exception in that mission or maybe it was changed in later versions, but I'm nearly 100% certain I've been sent home automatically in TOD missions. My computer with X-Wing on it doesn't work right now, or I'd check it out.

In any event, unless you are really horrible, the time on the countdown should always be far more than enough.
 Wildstar
05-22-2004, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by Keyan Farlander
My computer with X-Wing on it doesn't work right now, or I'd check it out.

Which version are you trying to run? Floppy, DOS CD, or Windows CD?
 Keyan Farlander
05-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I've had them all, though my disks went bad on the disk version, so I threw that out. These days I pretty much stick with the Windows 95 version. Not much real point in playing the DOS CD version. Anyway, the whole computer doesn't work, it has nothing to do with running the games.
 Wildstar
05-24-2004, 6:55 PM
Keyan

If worse comes to worse, if your good machine has Win2K Pro SP2 or later or Win XP, you can play the Windows version in Windows 95 Compatibility Mode. Just make sure your drivers and DirectX are up-to-date.
 Keyan Farlander
05-24-2004, 9:31 PM
It's not that. It just randomly freezes after about 10 minutes of use. It's the heat, I'm pretty sure, since I can get it going OK when I leave the cover off the case. I just need a new PC, really.
 K_Kinnison
05-25-2004, 4:01 PM
actaully, the time limit for missions was for you to complete the objectives. If you completed them before hand you would get the victory messages and could spend the whole time blowing up everything in space until you eaither died or hypered home.

FOr the historical missions you hypered home after the time limit was up (or exitied the simulator)

Anywaz, the BEST way to beat the death star trench run is to set the death star detail low, mosey on over above the trench and making sure your shields nad lasers are fully charged, and dive into the trench so you can avoid the laser towers.. make sure you are going above 115 MGLTs or you are probly going ot get pounded. Then it is a quick joy ride to the exaust port and BOOM.
 Theta Leader
08-29-2006, 9:16 PM
Hey toms,
When you start the mission you'll find three TIE Fighters in front of you. Attack them and destroy them. Then, follow the nav bouys (the small trinagular things that were right in front of you when the mission started) to the trench and turn left down into it. Once in there, place all your shields and lasers to full recharge and set shields to forward. Shoot the lasers on the walls before they can shoot at you. Take energy from lasers and redirect it to your forward shields as necessary.

Make sure that your forward shields in particular are fairly strong right near the end because you get hammered with enemy turret fire. When you're in torpedo range just fire all of them aiming roughly in the middle of the trench. Don't worry about the TIE Advanced that are closing in on you ... they aren't too accurate but in the off chance that they do get a hit on you, make sure that you have some shield strength to the rear.

I would advise you to back up your player file by copying your PLT file to a location else where on your drive (say My Documents) in case you either die or get captured. If this does happen to you, all you have to do is copy your file from My Documents back into the X-Wing directory and click "Yes" to over write.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you! :-)
Page: 1 of 1