Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

custom textures problem?

Page: 1 of 1
 hgwall44
05-17-2004, 1:38 AM
Now ive done the whole searching stuff and what not but my custom textures never work. I even tried dling some custom textures to see if i could make them work. But everytime I make some textures I put them into a .pk3 and then i put them into the program files/lucasarts/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/gamedata/base/textures/texturehw folder.(i think thats the right path) When i try it in GTK it doesn't work. Was there something i messed up on or is the path to long or what? Any help would be great. Thx
 WadeV1589
05-17-2004, 5:30 AM
All we can do is re-type what we've said before trying to make it as simple as possible each time...

Let's say JA is installed to D:\JA.

Go to D:\JA\Gamedata\base\textures and create a folder in there called mytextures which will now mean you have D:\JA\Gamedata\base\textures\mytextures

Place any custom images you want in the folder D:\JA\Gamedata\base\textures\mytextures.

Load up GTKRadiant. In GTK go to the textures menu at the top and look down the list for the item titled mytextures. Click it and your custom textures will show up in the texture preview window.

-------------------

To allow other people to see your custom textures they must be included in the PK3. If you've successfully made a PK3 before then you know how to place a .bsp into a .pk3. Textures are the same and require a folder called textures in the PK3 and then you'd need to place mytextures in that folder.
Always remember PK3's follow exactly the same directory structure as the folders in the \base\ directory.

-------------------

Now a word or two about custom textures:

all images must be of valid dimensions, i.e. they must be a specific width/height from a list of valid numbers, these are: (16, 32,) 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024(, 2048). Numbers in brackets should try and be avoided unless really needed. So for example an image that is 512x256 is valid while an image that is 640x480 is not.
If the image is a JPEG (JPG) file then it must be Standard Encoded, this is found in the Options window that can usually be accessed from the Save As window in most good paint programs.
The most commonly used valid image formats are JPG, TGA and PNG.
You don't have to PK3 them to see them in multi-player when testing your map, just type sv_pure 0 in the console before loading up your map.
 Jedi_Vogel
05-18-2004, 4:43 AM
This IS the clearest it's ever been made Wade, so well done :D I'm SOOO looking forward to creating my PK3 :p shame my map is only 33% done lol.

I think this should be stickied cos it's a simple and clear reference *innocent blinkies at admins*

If anyone asks about this again after Wade wrote that, they should probably be shot...AFTER a neat "interview" with an interrogator droid...
 hgwall44
05-18-2004, 6:27 PM
thx illl give it a shot hope it works this time
 hgwall44
05-19-2004, 8:30 PM
Ok, having a tid bit of a problem, when Ive got my textures down to Gamedata/base/textures/mytextures folder. Do I put just the pics in there or do I put them into a .pk3 and then put them in there. Because i did it just the pics and they atleast show up for me to be able to choose but when I got into the game to look at it it didn't work they just showed up as small white squares(which is completely different).

Also how do i blend textures togethor, ive searched the topic and none quite answer it.

Please help
 Jedi_Vogel
05-20-2004, 3:39 AM
In Radiant and if you test your map in SP, you can just dump your images in the folder and they will work.

If you are doing testing in MP (if my understanding is correct) you will need to PK3 the whole thing, making sure that your textures path WITHIN the Pk3 is correct, i.e. corresponds with the actual directory structure of the base folder.

I think...
 WadeV1589
05-20-2004, 8:02 AM
In mp, before you load the map type sv_pure 0 in the console. Saves you having to PK3 anything up to test your map.
 Jedi_Vogel
05-20-2004, 8:08 AM
My Bad.. *blushes* but how better to be corrected by than Wade? *innocent look*
 hgwall44
05-21-2004, 8:37 PM
ok everytime i load the textures into GTK radient it tells me

WARNING: Activate shader failed for textures/mytexturesbrick

Now im not to shure what that means and im thinking thats causing me to still not be able to see them in the game because i did enter sp_pure 0 in console before i loaded it. Help.

Also Im having some trouble blending the textures togethor I know u have to use anti-portals but what do u do with them. Everything looks blocky which is not good.
 WadeV1589
05-22-2004, 7:00 AM
WARNING: Activate shader failed for textures/mytexturesbrick

Shouldn't that read textures/mytextures/brick meaning you placed a jpg called brick.jpg in a folder called mytextures under the textures directory?

And it's sv_pure not sp_pure.

What do you mean by blending textures? Anti-portals are nothing to do with textures so I'm lost.
 hgwall44
05-22-2004, 5:19 PM
ok so it was late and I was kind of out of it while typing it was in the folder it needed to be. what you said. and i put sv_pure 0.

What im talking about blending textures is like in your stargate map. So everything doesn't look like blocks.

Lets say you have a tile floor in front of you and on the sides of it is grass. You dont want it to look blocky so some how you make the textures blend together on the sides so it looks like you have grass growing in the tile a bit.
Understand if so please help
 WadeV1589
05-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Use Easygen to make terrain easily:
http://digilander.libero.it/ilbanca/files_easygen.htm)
 hgwall44
05-24-2004, 5:16 PM
well I have heard of it..... but yea I will dl that and now start looking for tutorials lol.

Ok I think I may have found the problem but not shure. Ive done exactly what yall say. Now when I load the textures I type in the load directory box after base i type /textures/mytextures and then it loads what is in there. and they appear such as textures/mytexturesthebrick, also im getting an error about a shader when i load them. Now is there something I need to change to fix the source stuff or what
 Thrawn42689
05-24-2004, 7:16 PM
Um...are the textures standard JPGs, with a power of 2 resolution?
 hgwall44
05-24-2004, 8:59 PM
yes yes of course Im using some off of my friends map that he used so I know there right
Page: 1 of 1