Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Radar

Page: 1 of 1
 yaebginn
05-11-2004, 6:55 PM
Will there be radar in the game? cause it'd be really bad if you are a sniper, and have a real good hiding spot, then an imp sees you on radar and shoots you. but it'd also be bad if you're a Vanguard and a troop needs you to take out an At-st, but you cant find him. Your opinions, please.
 eastcoast2895
05-11-2004, 7:36 PM
i say it is a motion tracker type radar like in halo if they decide to have a radar that tracks enemies, but for this game i prefer a radar that only has teamates and objectives on it. this way you can see where your teamates are, which way to go, etc. and force players to actually find enemies and leave options for ambush attacks. having markers for objectives also keeps the action going because you'll know where the majority of players are or heading towards.
 DarkLordTrooper
05-11-2004, 8:49 PM
If there wasn't a radar, it would be impossible to tell where anyone was, and most of the time would be spent actually looking for people. It should have a map that you can expand (like in BF1942, where you chose the spawn points) so that you can get a basic idea of everyone's location.

Will there be radar in the game? cause it'd be really bad if you are a sniper, and have a real good hiding spot, then an imp sees you on radar and shoots you. but it'd also be bad if you're a Vanguard and a troop needs you to take out an At-st, but you cant find him. Your opinions, please.

Well, perhaps there could be a cloak or something to hide you from the radar (in a snipers case)
 Lt. Havoc
05-11-2004, 10:29 PM
radar? motion tracking?

what skilless, spoon-fed, rarely spent more than 3 hours outside type of player would want and all seeing radar or motion tracker?
I can guess there are thousands of 11-16 year olds who would having lived most their lives as apartment rats and now lacking in common sense would love it.

Players should only know where THEIR teammates are. In most games w/o radar you can figure out where opponents are by where their rounds hit and deduction. Of course these are on games inwhich you can't see every round fired as well. What do we all know about Star Wars? Blasters & Lasers provide brilliant colored bolts of energy. Simply retrace the blaster bolts back and you'll find your sniper or Vanguard or whomever. Sustained concealment is difficult because after the first shot fired players can easily triangulate their opponent's position.

A radar giving your team's position is crucial to mustering a coordinated effort.

BF1942's 1.6 system with the add or drop buddies in its radar has made it nice to keep tabs on your mates.

Radar=Yes
All seeing=No
Motion trackers= NO. Hey this isn't LV 426 and we're not colonial marines.
Sensors= NO. This isn't Goldeneye either, keep line of sight as the main means of detecting enemies.
 StormHammer
05-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Lt. Havoc
Players should only know where THEIR teammates are. In most games w/o radar you can figure out where opponents are by where their rounds hit and deduction. Of course these are on games inwhich you can't see every round fired as well. What do we all know about Star Wars? Blasters & Lasers provide brilliant colored bolts of energy. Simply retrace the blaster bolts back and you'll find your sniper or Vanguard or whomever. Sustained concealment is difficult because after the first shot fired players can easily triangulate their opponent's position.

A radar giving your team's position is crucial to mustering a coordinated effort.

I have to agree with this. It would be a bit ridiculous if you could see the positions of your enemies - because it would make any kind of tactics redundant.

So keep it constrained to team mates and objectives only. The objectives will be the hives of activity anyway.

As already stated, blaster bolts are not exactly invisible - so it should be relatively easy to get an idea of a sniper's position. Most games these days have some kind of tracer for snipers exactly for this reason.
 Eagle Warrior
05-12-2004, 3:23 PM
i dont want a radar. and if you look at the trailer do you see a radar. radars would be really.....STUPID i mean if oyu try to ambush the enemy will see you and know your there. that would pretty patetic:eek:
 Huntsman
05-12-2004, 5:17 PM
I likfe the system of showing allies on radar but not enemies.
 Eagle Warrior
05-12-2004, 5:34 PM
that would be very helpful:D
 Eagle Warrior
05-12-2004, 6:32 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/shallow_berserk/iviewcapture_date_11_05_2004_time_18_20_43.png)

look at the radar to the bottom left:D

(let it load if you know how to make it load faster please tell me)
 yaebginn
05-12-2004, 6:52 PM
Is that in the trailer on lucasarts.com? I wonder what kind of radar that is. Like if it's a compass, or shows your allies, or enemies, or key strongholds. I saw afew large red objects, maybe they are strongholds to take over? I'm probably just kidding myself because i dont want a radar that shows your enemies.
 Eagle Warrior
05-12-2004, 8:07 PM
i dout that it shows the enemys. the big dots are probably your bases or check points. and all the little red dots are your allys. (i havent studyed the map so....) but i looked at it quicky an i saw the dots:D anyway and the yellow arrows....what do you need them for.....unless there for direction :p duuu :rolleyes: im so out of it today:( :p ;)
Page: 1 of 1