Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

changing resolutions

Page: 1 of 1
 larrin
05-03-2004, 1:18 PM
Over at the scumm bar forums they seem to have made a hack to change the resolutions of Monkey Island 4: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1502026#post1502026) I'm mostly computer illiterate, but is there any way to do the same thing for Grim Fandango? I've tried out the MI4 program, and the game looks great. Is it possible?
 Thrik
05-03-2004, 1:41 PM
Resident hack-saw, bgbennyboy, tried but said that due to Grim handling things slightly differently it doesn't quite work. It seems that whilst the 3D characters and objects will go up into a higher resolution, the pre-rendered backgrounds remain at a low resolution, leaving a huge black border around the image.

I'd imagine that the pre-rendered backgrounds would also pixellate a bit when blown up much.
 larrin
05-04-2004, 3:58 PM
Well, in MI4, they still looked pretty good. I guess I'll just have to buy a new video card with good antialiasing. What about making new textures and 3d models for the game?
 Thrik
05-04-2004, 5:44 PM
No, the models are fine. It's just the backgrounds which don't scale up - they just remain at their original size.
 larrin
05-04-2004, 7:03 PM
Originally posted by Thrik
No, the models are fine. It's just the backgrounds which don't scale up - they just remain at their original size.
That's not what I meant, I was talking about something else. I just hope someone does redo them, the game's getting older, and so are the models. I don't know if that's possible either, but it would be a cool project for hardcore fans.
 James Isaac
05-05-2004, 5:26 AM
Making better models would be a really good idea... if it's possible.
 Deeo
05-06-2004, 1:24 AM
Naaah. Come on. The models really added to the overall feel of Grim Fandango. New user created models regardless of how many polys or how more detailed they are would only rob Grim Fandango of its charm.
 larrin
05-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I don't know......some of those models look really outdated, like Glottis and that giant alligator thing. I cringe just watching them.
Page: 1 of 1