Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Where do dead games go?

Page: 1 of 1
 Jester5536
04-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Hola all,
Just wanted to ask, with the death of freelance police what happens to all the hard work that went into it? I suppose it is property of LucasArts or something, I dunno. Couldn't we ask them to release the source to the community, or rough builds or something, if we cann't have the game, I for one wouldn't mind taking a look at what they DID have before killing it. This would also leave the possibility open for community completeion of something based on the original project. Of course I realize Lucas would never just give it to us, as they wouldn't stand to make any money. But if the code was leaked, life would be good ;-)
 Skinkie
04-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Get all those recently fired and disgruntled employees to sneak it out to us.
 SyntheticGerbil
04-28-2004, 1:45 AM
f
 Dimensio
04-28-2004, 2:41 AM
My guess is that Lucasarts would order everything done for the game, including backups, destroyed for tax purposes.
 Rabbit Thingy
04-28-2004, 3:08 AM
I have to agree. I too was greatly disappointed to hear of the cancelation of the new Sam & Max game, as well as the cancelation of the new Full Throttle game. I play these game for the laughs and the story, which I imagine was pretty much intact before it was canceled.

I really would like to know how far away they were from releasing these game, both money-wise and time-wise. I really wish there was something we could do to get access to these games, even if they were incomplete. LucasArts no longer plans to gain anything fincially from these products, so I don't see how it could hurt them by releasing them.

I have to commend Activision which decided that it's add on to Return to Castle Wolfenstien was not a viable product and they released it for free on the net. I wish LucasArts would make a similar contribution to it's fan base.

If it were destroyed for tax purposes, how much did they save? I bet loyal Sam & Max fans would have been willing to pay for it instead.
 data soldier
04-28-2004, 3:59 PM
well i were so dissapointed for the cancellation of the new sam & max as all of you, but i don't know what to think about the new full throttle. i say this because i heard some things a little dissapointing about this game. i heard that it were going to have more action than adventure, and that's not what i wanted from it.
 StonerDaveN'Max
04-28-2004, 5:06 PM
To my knowlege, what happens to a game is that the progress is kept, and in case another company were to buy the rights and such to the game they could take it and finish it. And god knows we would all love to see the game leak, but it wouldnt be the same as sitting out behind the corner market selling rocks untill we get the money to buy it.
 Jester5536
04-29-2004, 9:04 PM
maybe we should be petitioning other companies to step up to the bat and get it on their list, I'd just as soon not have to buy lucas products.
 StonerDaveN'Max
04-29-2004, 9:42 PM
Right on, but who else has been known to make games in the adventure genre?
 Skinkie
04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Well if you would go take a look around this little site (http://www.adventuregamers.com) you would find out that there are actually quite a few companies who haven't betrayed the loyal fans of the adventure genre.
 JBlink
04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Dead games go in the toilet where they belong. You should have known that.
 Samnmax221
04-30-2004, 8:56 AM
The tiolet

RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH HTTTTTT
 data soldier
04-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Skinkie
Well if you would go take a look around this little site (http://www.adventuregamers.com) you would find out that there are actually quite a few companies who haven't betrayed the loyal fans of the adventure genre.

I'm sure that there are some companies that continue making adventure games.
but the problem (or maybe not) is the quality of this games. are them going to be as fine as they were some time in the past? I'm not telling you my opinion, it's just a question...
 toenail1
04-30-2004, 4:00 PM
as well as the cancelation of the new Full Throttle game. I play these game for the laughs and the story, which I imagine was pretty much intact before it was canceled.

full throttle did not have those things, it was cancelled cuz it sucked
 Skinkie
04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by data soldier
I'm sure that there are some companies that continue making adventure games.
but the problem (or maybe not) is the quality of this games. are them going to be as fine as they were some time in the past? I'm not telling you my opinion, it's just a question...

Of course there's going to be a few that suck, but there have been some recently that have captured alot of attention. The Longest Journey come to mind, although I never played it through, I quit at the same spot like three times.
Page: 1 of 1