Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

screenshots

Page: 1 of 1
 Ockniel
04-24-2004, 10:25 AM
how can I take screenshots in-game?
 topshot
04-24-2004, 2:58 PM
If you know how to bring up the cheat console, good. Type "screenshot" or "levelshot", and that should do it.
 _PerfectAgent_
04-24-2004, 6:27 PM
Dark Forces didn't have a console.

I guess you can try F12 for a screenshot.
 topshot
04-25-2004, 1:50 AM
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_
Dark Forces didn't have a console.

Damn. Memory's been a bit foggy. I could only remember the 1 for DF2. Time to take another trip down memory lane!
 StormHammer
04-26-2004, 1:25 AM
As I recall, it was extremely difficult to take in-game screenshots in DF. You could try running the game in a window, and use a screen capture program within Windows. I'm not sure PrntScrn would work, but you could probably find a free screen grab utility on the net by doing a google search.
 Katarn07
04-27-2004, 5:33 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
As I recall, it was extremely difficult to take in-game screenshots in DF. You could try running the game in a window, and use a screen capture program within Windows. I'm not sure PrntScrn would work, but you could probably find a free screen grab utility on the net by doing a google search.

You have to do this. It's an extremely difficult thing to do because Print Screen doesn't work while running it and my old PC always shut down my screen grab utility when I fired up DOS....

It's probably not worth the trouble. ;)
 txa1265
04-27-2004, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
PC ... probably not worth the trouble. ;) Funny ... I don't have that problem when I play it on the Mac ;)

Couldn't resist

Mike
 Kurgan
04-29-2004, 5:33 PM
The Dos version of DF worked this way:

Alt+printscreen in game (exit game, paste into paint program like photoshop and boom).

So you could only take on screenshot at a time realistically unless you were somehow playing it in a window.

So try alt+printscreen if just printscreen won't work.
 Hiroki
05-10-2004, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
Funny ... I don't have that problem when I play it on the Mac ;)

Thats good, as it is about the only thing you CAN play on a Mac. :p

Hehe. ;)
 txa1265
05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Hiroki
Thats good, as it is about the only thing you CAN play on a Mac. :p

Hehe. ;) Hey - I can use my Mac to play Doom, Wolf 3d, and loads of other 10 year old games ... plus it protects me from knowing about computer operations, which is appropriate for my position as an optical physicist ...

;)

Mike
 MasterN64
05-12-2004, 7:47 AM
Don't get me started with Macs. I have bad memories that are as sore as your hand going down a gator's gullet...
 txa1265
05-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Master_Sentinel
Don't get me started with Macs. I have bad memories that are as sore as your hand going down a gator's gullet... That's the problem ...so many younger people have these historical 'memories' of Macs from their school lab or whatever, and passes immediate, uninformed judgement on everything current based on that prejudice.

Hey - it's a computer. I'm playing Sacred on my PC laptop now, may play NWN again later on my Mac. No biggie. They both run MS Office, both network well, both accomplish necessary tasks.

Mike
 Samuel Dravis
05-20-2004, 3:23 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
Hey - it's a computer. I'm playing Sacred on my PC laptop now, may play NWN again later on my Mac. No biggie. They both run MS Office, both network well, both accomplish necessary tasks. But it's a Mac. And we hate Macs.

:D I say, if the OS can play the games you want, then tell Micro$oft to go away. The only reason I am not running linux on my comp right now is that exact issue...the linux Windows emulators don't work well enough yet. As soon as they do, however... :)
 txa1265
05-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
But it's a Mac. And we hate Macs. As is well in evidence throughout LucasForums :D

No biggie ... some people like things that other people don't like.

Mike
 The_One
05-21-2004, 5:42 PM
The screenshot issue seems to be more obvious in WinXP. When I was running Windows 98, I could take screenshots fine with PrtScn. But when I upgraded to XP, it simply wouldn't work - I tried external capture programs, command lines etc etc.. Nothing I tried worked.

If you want to experience DF in the most authentic way, with all of its features, get hold of an old 486, or any other old PC - not exactly going to cost you much, and set it up exclusively for DF ;)

By the way, this one's for you txa1265, http://www.electric-chicken.co.uk/)

:D
 txa1265
05-22-2004, 6:58 AM
Originally posted by The_One
If you want to experience DF in the most authentic way, with all of its features, get hold of an old 486, or any other old PC - not exactly going to cost you much, and set it up exclusively for DF ;) Really - set it up on Win95 Dual Boot and you should be able to run all of your DOS games without issue. I still have an old PII machine in the basement that was the only way I could play Shadows of the Empire ... and had a laptop that worked for my sons Spiderman Sinister Six game.

... maybe that's why consoles are taking over so much of the market ...

Originally posted by The_One
By the way, this one's for you txa1265, http://www.electric-chicken.co.uk/) I've seen that before, but it is still always good for a smile :D

Mike
 Katarn07
05-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Aha, now I see why Mike was getting so fired up about Macs at EB. ;)

I frankly don't care either way. I prefer Windows because that's what I know. I do have bad memories with my grade school's 'Mac Lab' but that's simply because the teachers knew less about them then we did....

Back on topic, I had Win 98 on my last PC and I still had trouble with just Print Screen and screen grabbers.... I have yet to install DF (or any of my games save for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2) on my new PC (OS is Win XP) so can't comment.
 Document Oosha
06-13-2004, 10:15 PM
DF had a built-in screenshot function meant for use in pure DOS mode. You start the game with "dark.exe -shots", and then press the Print Screen key ingame. They appear as PCX files in the same directory as dark.exe.

At least, that's what I remember. I didn't test it just now.

But you'd be better off having a Mac user take them anyway, with the higher resolution and longer viewing distance.

As always, you should probably go to DF-21.net if you want more info. I don't know why they even have this forum, if nobody who knows DF goes here.
 Echo-7
09-25-2005, 7:42 AM
i made screenys in my Dark Force 2 but i cant open them, any idea how i can open and watch at them?
 X-Vector
09-25-2005, 8:32 AM
Jedi Knight outputs screenshots in Bitmap format; you should be able to open them in any viewer, including the one that comes with Windows.
The shots are located in your JK base directory and are called JKSHOTxxx.BMP, where xxx is a number starting with 000.
 Kurgan
09-25-2005, 5:55 PM
Taking shots in JK1, MotS, JK2, and JA is no problem. But if you're talking about the original Dark Forces then try this...

You can alt+printscreen and then paste into a paint program (such as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro) after alt+tabbing or control+escaping out of the game. Then paste a new image.

You could also run a seperate screenshot taker program like HypersnapDX (?) or something like that. Fraps to take movies... there may be better options out there, good luck!
 Echo-7
09-27-2005, 3:36 PM
i didnt find any viewer :s
 Echo-7
09-30-2005, 5:56 PM
would it be possible...if i send one or more...of my screenys to you? Then u "open" (or what ever) them for me and sent it back. plzzz :P
 Kurgan
10-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Okay I guess. Email them to me at kurganx@comcast.net (zip a bunch of them up if you're serious, as I don't like getting spammed!)

But realize that most modern graphics programs can open bitmap ("BMP") files easily enough and even convert them to a more common format like JPEG (JPG).

Heck, even MS Paint can open BMP files... and that comes with every copy of Windows last time I checked...

Dark Forces 1 shots were in PCX format if you took them under dos (and didn't just do a screen capture and paste into a paint program), and that should be viewable on most decent paint programs as well.
 darthzeta
10-21-2005, 4:08 PM
umm. i may be wrong but i have a star wars fps game with a guy name kyle. its on the ps1 consol.
 acdcfanbill
10-22-2005, 5:38 PM
yea it was ported to PS1 if i remimber correctly.
 shukrallah
11-16-2005, 10:19 PM
FRAPS Also takes screenshots.
Page: 1 of 1