Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

gun towers

Page: 1 of 1
 Eagle Warrior
04-08-2004, 8:28 PM
will there be gun towers that you can sit in and swivel around.

i think there should you could use it for hitting ships and it would be a good defensive weapon.:bdroid2:
 Ultar Terragorn
04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Surely, but it depends on what you mean by gun towers. You can see one at the end of the flythrough movie of Yavin IV (I think).

Also, there are many screenshots where you can see some more powerful weapons behind walls.
 dark jedi 8
04-08-2004, 11:06 PM
the geonosian gun turrent is also in some screenshots.
 slapshot16
04-12-2004, 4:28 PM
whoa what screenie has the geonosian gun turret in it? a link maybe pls?
 Gukkjo
04-12-2004, 5:55 PM
Here are some screenshots of stationary guns from ign.com

Imperial with mounted gun (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/617/617664/img_1966319.html)

Imperial again (in background) (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/617/617664/img_1948314.html)

Droid [back view] (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/617/617664/img_1948311.html)

Imperial in tower (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/617/617664/img_1913910.html)

The first three are just guns mounted on walls that appear to turn somewhat. they also appear to be near their base. (Like with the imperial, you notice the floating imperial symbol, indicating that is the imperial base). But in the fourth picture, it just looks like he's in a tower, but the gun doesn't look like it could move much.
 StormHammer
04-12-2004, 10:01 PM
I wonder if they will overheat if you try to fire them continuously? Or if they will run out of ammo? I would hope that there is some drawback to them that means you cannot simply keep your finger on the fire button for ten minutes...other than being sniper fodder...
 tFighterPilot
04-12-2004, 10:05 PM
It worked in UT2K4
 Mountainforest
04-13-2004, 4:44 PM
I think it would be fun if they are superstrong (only push the firebutton). That would force the other team to be a little creative.

It could be you should complete a secundaire objective to deactivate the turrets, or snipe players out of them.
 tFighterPilot
04-13-2004, 5:17 PM
Killing someone can not be an objective :rolleyes:
 StormHammer
04-13-2004, 6:52 PM
Hopefully all turrets will be destructable - and would require repair to get them working again. Repairing them should obviously take time.
 Mountainforest
04-13-2004, 7:49 PM
You see, could get fun.
If guns are strong, it could lead to little battles for guns only (some want to destroy them, others repair them).
Then the guns are getting some sort of obiective.
 tFighterPilot
04-13-2004, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Hopefully all turrets will be destructable - and would require repair to get them working again. Repairing them should obviously take time. Like in UT2K4?
 dark jedi 8
04-13-2004, 11:09 PM
you should need a pilot to fix a turret or repair one or maybe even to build one. that would balance it more.
 StormHammer
04-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
Like in UT2K4?

I've not played much of UT2K4 yet.

I was basing my comment on Wolf: Enemy Territory. :p :D

As you've probably guessed, I'm quite fond of ET, and I can see a lot of things that would be great if they appeared in Battlefront.

In ET, you have some set locations for machine gun emplacements, and your engineer has to construct some of them - and repair them when damaged.

Originally posted by dark jedi 8
you should need a pilot to fix a turret or repair one or maybe even to build one. that would balance it more.

That was my understanding.
 dark jedi 8
04-14-2004, 7:15 PM
yeah, cus that way you'd always need a pilot near your base, but since anyone can fly i guess a team would nead only 1, maybe 2 pilots, depending on the size of the team. you would have to guard him more b/c of his importance forcing yet again a developed teamwork system.
 pink lightsaber
04-15-2004, 2:15 AM
i don't think it would be too unbalenced if the funs had unlimited ammo. In Halo the guns have unlimited ammo and with all the people coming at you it can get hard to be a gunner.
 Eagle Warrior
04-15-2004, 11:16 AM
i think there will be a little bar that shows you laser fire. when you fire it goes down and once it is down you have to let it recharge. and it will take only like 5 second to recharge but you are useing it constatly most of the time. i also think that i might have unlimited because in rebel strike 3 i think thats what its called the web blaster has unlimited.
 tFighterPilot
04-15-2004, 12:34 PM
E-Web maybe?
 Gukkjo
04-15-2004, 3:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the guns in this game will not have unlimited ammo. I think I read somewhere that one of the classes has the ability to give out ammo. and there will probably be ammo packs laying around on the battlefield too.
 pink lightsaber
04-15-2004, 11:16 PM
yes but this is gun turrents not plain weapons. Everyone can use them.it shouldn't. What if you jump in expecting to slaughter a huge force and you don't shoot to draw your presence then you shoot and it empty. If it does have a certain amout of ammo it should dissapear or turn red when it is out of ammo. I personally think it will have unlimited ammo just because most games have turrents that have unlimited ammo and it is good that way. In most games anyway.:D
 Whimseyboy
04-16-2004, 12:37 AM
What if the guns were mobile like you have to have another person help you carry the gun and like in alot of war movies another person has to carry the ammo from base and reload for you. Its only a though but I think that would be cool but some times bothersom.
 Gukkjo
04-16-2004, 12:52 AM
regular weapons need ammo, but you're right pink lightsaber, gun turrets shouldn't need ammo. They'd be ok if they were unlimited, but then someone could just sit up there forever. Which would be ok, because then you would have the challenge of bringing them down. But I think it would be better if the gun turrets were rechargeable. After firing awhile, they cannot be used for a certain time period while it recharges. It could have an energy bar that the higher the energy is, the longer you can fire, but when the energy gets to a red area, it needs to recharge. just a thought.
 Eagle Warrior
04-16-2004, 11:03 AM
thats almost exactly what i sayed about the bar

regular weapons need ammo, but you're right pink lightsaber, gun turrets shouldn't need ammo. They'd be ok if they were unlimited, but then someone could just sit up there forever. Which would be ok, because then you would have the challenge of bringing them down. But I think it would be better if the gun turrets were rechargeable. After firing awhile, they cannot be used for a certain time period while it recharges. It could have an energy bar that the higher the energy is, the longer you can fire, but when the energy gets to a red area, it needs to recharge. just a thought.

i think there will be a little bar that shows you laser fire. when you fire it goes down and once it is down you have to let it recharge. and it will take only like 5 second to recharge but you are useing it constatly most of the time. i also think that i might have unlimited because in rebel strike 3 i think thats what its called the web blaster has unlimited.
 Mountainforest
04-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
yeah, cus that way you'd always need a pilot near your base, but since anyone can fly i guess a team would nead only 1, maybe 2 pilots, depending on the size of the team. you would have to guard him more b/c of his importance forcing yet again a developed teamwork system.

Pilots also repair a vehicle while in it, and with the rebels the can eject safely when the ship explodes.
Possible there are even more positive things about having a pilot flying the ship.

And unlimited ammo should be fun.
Like I said before, it should give a kind of freedom: as an atacking team you could give time to complete a secundairy obiective (cuuting power to the turrets), or you'll just take your chances at destroying the turrets, or just ignoring them as much as possible.

This is just one of the strategic elements a turret could add.
 Gukkjo
04-16-2004, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Warrior
thats almost exactly what i sayed about the bar

Sorry, I didn't even realize that. I think your post is where I got the idea. I think you were referring to regular weapons. I would reather see regular guns need ammo packs, and gun turrets be rechargeable.
 Eagle Warrior
04-16-2004, 8:53 PM
thats what i mean gun towers not regular weapons
 Gukkjo
04-17-2004, 2:03 AM
ah ok. i'm sorry then, I misunderstood you. I think that is a good idea, and hopefully will be included.
Page: 1 of 1