Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Wow, I feel bad... (AKA: Don't try this in public)

Page: 1 of 1
 Lathain Valtiel
03-27-2004, 7:08 AM
I'm a little disappointed in my sabery today..
Basically, I was in Old Folks Home (No Force Duel Server, Sabers Only) with a few regulars I knew. While in there, this one chap I didn't know, Madness, was ripped everybody apart. He wouldn't go in to hit anyone, but would wait until they came after him and then he's tear into them with staff. It was pretty agithating.

So what I did was, I, after warning I might just do it five minutes before, hit him once with a nick, and started dodging. Sure enough, for three minutes he didn't come after me, and for a minute used the sit command, until there was 30 seconds left in the five minute time limit. At which point i went crazy bunny hopping, he couldn't touch me. I won by time limit.

Needless to say I feel pretty bad about it. He took it well I have to say, but I still felt bad. I was going to let him kill me come next duel, but he logged off after the lines got a bit long.

In other words.. Don't try it at home. It at least made ME, a sort of kind of fairness stickler, get into disapointed at self mode. It was a ranked match too.

So yeah. Bored.

Opinions?
 --ZeeMan--
03-27-2004, 7:46 AM
*sigh* i think your actions proved to him exactly what was needed. he needed to be shown that his strategy of fighting wasn't exactly beneficial to all and somewhat cheap. now i know a lot of you guys are going to come crying and screaming going "but you know what he was gonna do so you could just anticipate" but it doesn't work that way. i was in the same server he's talking about and there was this one guy that went up into the rafters. of course the people tried to follow and they either fell, took damage and were consequently killed easily or victim of the time limit.

don't feel bad just because you need to show someone how pathetically cowardish he was acting. he prolly needed that humbling experience.
 Lathain Valtiel
03-27-2004, 10:37 PM
The anticipate deal doesn't really apply since singles were ultimately screwed due to low defense... So i had to do it basically.
 --ZeeMan--
03-27-2004, 11:36 PM
you realize that it had to be done...so you did it. he took it well because he realized he'd been beaten at his own game and he just shrugged it off.
 A Jedi
03-28-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah i have met a few people like that, runing around and doing buterflys when u r chasing them.
 Rumor
03-28-2004, 7:20 AM
lath, if you see him again ask him if he used to go by the name Dark_Vegeta. ifso tell him to hit me up on aim - Notorious ILG.
 Radd
03-28-2004, 5:25 PM
Maybe I'm misreading this, but I don't really understand. It's really not cowardice to use an effective strategy that you know your opponent is going to walk right into. He had ample opportunity to attack you, but didn't due to his own limited strategy that he apparently didn't think he could win without. Since so many people that play FPS games seem so vehement against people that display any sort of intelligence in their fighting techniques, he probably expected you to fall for his little trap just like everyone else, and did not know what to do when you refused to roll over and die.

Am I missing something?
 Rumor
03-29-2004, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by Radd
Maybe I'm misreading this, but I don't really understand. It's really not cowardice to use an effective strategy that you know your opponent is going to walk right into. He had ample opportunity to attack you, but didn't due to his own limited strategy that he apparently didn't think he could win without. Since so many people that play FPS games seem so vehement against people that display any sort of intelligence in their fighting techniques, he probably expected you to fall for his little trap just like everyone else, and did not know what to do when you refused to roll over and die.

Am I missing something?

No, you hit it on the head.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
03-29-2004, 7:30 PM
You played "euro-style":

Originally posted by Lathain Valtiel
So what I did was, I, after warning I might just do it five minutes before, hit him once with a nick, and started dodging. Sure enough, for three minutes he didn't come after me, and for a minute used the sit command, until there was 30 seconds left in the five minute time limit. At which point i went crazy bunny hopping, he couldn't touch me. I won by time limit.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed on 11-30-2003
For the Germans, well here is a typical scenario:

Match starts, 20 minute time limit.

German player zaps one single point off your shields from across the map with level 2 lightning... and strafe jumps around the map like a bat out of hell (so you can't get close enough to touch him) for 20 minutes straight until the time runs out and takes a "time win".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing that way of playing, but in the global competitive community there is a term known as "playing Euro" which basically means doing what I just mentioned.
 Lathain Valtiel
03-29-2004, 8:11 PM
He stood there for three of five minutes though, with sit command. Ridiculous, but eh.
 acdcfanbill
03-29-2004, 8:15 PM
heh, yea i remimber that quote. not a bad strategy, i would just get bored too easily :)
 Batdroid
03-30-2004, 10:33 PM
he did ask for it, all u did was show him how his way to play can backfire.
 Tinny
03-30-2004, 10:57 PM
i forgive you
 bloodr4yn3
03-31-2004, 2:49 PM
Single saber is the best weapon in the game, this is because if you know how to properly defeat the other 2 saber (double, and dual) they are crap. You only have to know the proper way to beat those and the proper way to fight against it, it's not that the saber is weak, it's just that people don't know how to use it the right way.
 Druid Bremen
04-01-2004, 1:20 PM
IMO, red swing can easily defeat Staff and Double Sabers. Don't ask me why; its always worked for me, unlike Yellow and Blue, in which case I got myself killed.
 Lathain Valtiel
04-01-2004, 7:13 PM
That just means you simply haven't met any counterers who use staff and dual's speeds and infinite chaining to their advantage.
Page: 1 of 1