Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with curved staircase

Page: 1 of 1
 Oidar
03-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Ok, first off. I've searched the forums for any related info on this and couldn't really find anything that was of any help.
so, could someone please tell me how to make a set of curved stairs? There was a tutorial on massassi.net but it was of no help what so ever and was really confusing.
anyway, Thanks for anyhelp anyone can offer.
 WadeV1589
03-22-2004, 11:31 AM
I read that tutorial, seems simple enough!

Create a 512x512 brush that's about 10 units high.

Select the clipper tool and click in one corner, now click in the opposite corner and press Shift+Enter, this will split the brush into two right angled triangles

With both of these brushes STILL selected, clip again but from the opposite corners, you'll now have 4 isosceles triangles.

Clip again this time from the top to the bottom down the middle (easy to find due the first two cuts).

Then again left to right through the centre. Now you'll have 8 segments.

The last thing to do is guestimate the final cuts, you want to cut through the central point and split all 8 bits into 2. This will leave you with 16 triangular shapes.

Select all but one of the (15) triangles and move them all 10 units up. Then de-select one more triangle next to the one you didn't select to start with and move those (14 triangles) up 10 units. You should see from here how the stairs will start to appear, so just keep doing this until you've got a spiral staircase going up what will be a total of 160 units.

Changing the height of the original brush to 8 units will create a final spiral that is 128 units high.
 lassev
03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Placing clip brushes to spiral stairs might require three point clipping, yes it might...
 WadeV1589
03-23-2004, 12:55 AM
No it won't :p

You clip the brushes using 2 points and move them up one by one to make it. No 3D clipping required,
 wedge2211
03-23-2004, 2:54 AM
No, I think lassev was referring to placing clip-textured brushes on the stairs so players don't "bounce" up them. To him, I say: HA! Behold the power of the clip-textured SIMPLE PATCH MESH!
 lauser
03-23-2004, 6:51 AM
Agreed Wedge..I do the same thing to my maps. I wish more mappers would clip stairs to prevent the 'BOUNCE'.
 lassev
03-23-2004, 7:41 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
No, I think lassev was referring to placing clip-textured brushes on the stairs so players don't "bounce" up them. To him, I say: HA! Behold the power of the clip-textured SIMPLE PATCH MESH!

Well, what else can you expect from the Leader of the Cult of the Patch Meshes...

I guess I'm forever doomed to belong only to the cult of brush blocks... Ha! Maybe I belong to the Cult of the Script!
 GothiX
03-23-2004, 9:53 AM
Originally posted by lassev
Ha! I might just be the god of Icarus!
Fixed.
Page: 1 of 1