Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modeling

Page: 1 of 1
 JeeMonkey
03-15-2004, 6:37 PM
what is modeling?
if it what i think it is.....where can i find a tutorial explaining how to model???
 Alegis
03-15-2004, 7:00 PM
right at top of the website there is a page called 'search'

search for modelling tutorial
Modelling and skinning:

See your computercase? Imagine it to be completely white. Modelling would be how it would look like now, skinning is all the painting and metal colour on it etc
 JeeMonkey
03-17-2004, 6:59 PM
the search pops up saying JO modeling tutorials and conversion factors. look im a noob, i have no idea what i am doing i just want something simple and easy and all in one place.
 Ziechel
03-19-2004, 5:52 PM
skinning is easier i think...
 Weiser_Cain
03-20-2004, 7:57 PM
Ok lets see if I can help. In the old days everything was sprites. Those days are over. These days game are 3D everything is made of models also called meshes.

Models are 3D objects.
Alone this object looks pretty plain, thats where texturing comes in.
Texturing is the process of painting a picture on a 3D surface.
you do this to add color and minor details.

Lets say I make a light saber. like so.

http://home.comcast.net/~Weiser_Cain/Images/Sev_Ther_Lightsaber_untex.jpg)

Usin a modeling program I made(MODELED) this but it still doesnt look like I want it to so I skin or texture it. like so.

http://home.comcast.net/~Weiser_Cain/Images/Sev_Ther_Lightsaber_tex_d.jpg)

see? all that detail without having to model every little detail and without making my computer do anymore real work...

If you didn't understand this just ask, I'm at work so I'm sleepy and may have said some thing in a less than clear manner.
 JeeMonkey
03-23-2004, 3:55 PM
wow thanks that really helps :D
 Ziechel
03-23-2004, 4:34 PM
Waiser Cain I dont get it to give a skin to a modeled lightsaber. I followed several tutorials and still cant understand it really. Can you explain me plz?
 Weiser_Cain
03-23-2004, 11:58 PM
I am by no means an expert, but I'll try.
If you're using 3ds max like I can help.
You're going to want texporter get it here (http://www.cuneytozdas.com/software/#texporter).

install it.

ok now, say your model consist of one cylinder. There are several ways to tackle this texturing job. all the ways I know start with

UVW map, what this does is determin how the texture wraps or is placed on the mesh(note if you want the inside to be diffrent than

the outside you should detatch it and 'wrap' it seperately). After you map it go to the utilities(the hammer) and click more and

chose texporter, change the image sixe to be square(I usually use 1024x1024) and click on your object. the object should almost

fill the texture, thats ok we just used this as a easy way to make the base skin, save this and what ever the texture is suppose to

be.

Now what we're goin to do is adjust the size of the area this texture takes up. Open the material editor. On the right side of

diffuse there's a little box, left-click and a list pops up. click bit map and chose your texture. click the checked box so it

shows in viewportthen with ony the part you're texturing at the moment selected, click assign which is third from left on the same

tool bar.

you should see you're texture wraped on the cylinder.now select Unwrap UVW from the modify list and click edit. you should

see a flattened wire frame of you're model layed out, reposition this and resize it so that you have room for everything else you

need to texture from this model. Once you're happy with the results go back to texporterclick pick object again and click on the item,

it should produce a new texture that reflects the current mapping, since this is the first texture you can just save over the

original texture, for later additions save the new texture as a file named temp.bmp or something and open it in photoshop, once in

photoshop have the temp file and the main texture open right-click on the layer and duplicate it into the main texture and change the layer option to lighten.

Ok, I'm going to quit now, if this didn't help or if this was just useless crap, just ask me a specific question and I'll try to anwser it better.
 Ziechel
03-24-2004, 3:10 PM
hm I will download 3dsmax tomorrow, I used gmax til now. Anyway, thx it will be enough to work get it to work finally.
 Weiser_Cain
03-24-2004, 4:30 PM
I think you mean you'll buy max, right? I'm not sure but texporter may work with gmax...
 Ziechel
03-24-2004, 5:57 PM
hm no not buy.. there is a 30 day trial version to download :)
Page: 1 of 1