Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Brushes and stuff get invisible...

Page: 1 of 1
 |GG|Carl
03-13-2004, 11:58 AM
When I do a "BSP -meta" -compile, all these stuff are getting invisible when I try it ingame afterwards;

All brush faces with the texture "colors/white2" on them.
Some func_doors.
Some func_usables.
A func_static (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1497255).
Lots of func_breakables (If I shoot at where they should be, they expolde).
A func_plat
A x-wing
Lots of swoops. (You can actually see them when you are not close to 'em, but if you walk closer, they disappear!)

NOTE: When I make a light complie all these stuff are still invisibe, except for the "white2".

I have no idea what's going on here, do you have any ideas?

NOTE2: Maybe I have to many entities on the map (I have 1321)? But then I'd get an error, wouldn't I?
 |GG|Carl
03-15-2004, 3:20 PM
*bump*

I've done some research, and this is what I've found out:

1. The func_doors/func_usables/func_statics/func_breakable which get invisible are situated in a specific area of the map. It seems like inside this area, all Func_blahblah get invisible! What's wrong here?
:confused:

2. The white2 thingy is not really a problem, since it works when you make a "real" compile.

I haven't found out anything about the x-wing and the swoops...
 vas_zag
03-15-2004, 9:26 PM
sounds like a problem with ya vis ive had something like this before
luckly for you i never solved it:p
 |GG|Carl
03-21-2004, 12:39 PM
:snear:

So, you think it has something to do with vis?
Sounds likely, I'll check it up.

But wait sec., how can it have anything to do with vis when I'm not even making a vis-compile?
:confused:
 GothiX
03-21-2004, 1:17 PM
There's the problem, possibly. Run a compile with -vis stage.
 WadeV1589
03-21-2004, 3:53 PM
You run brush clean up yet? It could be a rogue brush stretching through the map causing it.
 |GG|Carl
03-21-2004, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
You run brush clean up yet? It could be a rogue brush stretching through the map causing it.
Yeah, I've done it.

I guess I'll just have to try vis-compiling.
 |GG|Carl
03-30-2004, 2:20 PM
I have noticed something; all entities which are situated outside a specific area get invisible!

Like this:

<-Invisible stuff->
----------------------
| |
| |
| |
| | <--Specific area
| |
| visible stuff |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
----------------------
<-Invisible stuff->

Is my map to big? (It's large, but not huge.)

I'll check up if I can find out how big the "visible-area" is.
 Druid Bremen
03-31-2004, 11:40 AM
To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing where anything, brush or entity, goes invisible. I suppose the best you can do is just try running brush cleanup, as Wade suggested.
 |GG|Carl
03-31-2004, 3:03 PM
I've done it lots of times already :(
 Codja X
04-06-2004, 7:05 AM
I get a very similar problem with the narshada/plant.md3 - the pot or base of the plant shows up, but the actual foliage does not, even though it casts shadows!

I think i'm using q3map2.11 - could this be a bug as a lot of other models seem to be working fine. I've read in a post somewhere as well that someone is trying to put tree models in the game but there are no leaves.

Could it be that the -meta switch is removing these triangles?
 |GG|Carl
04-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Codja X
I get a very similar problem with the narshada/plant.md3 - the pot or base of the plant shows up, but the actual foliage does not, even though it casts shadows!
I have seen this as well, and I it's think the models wich is the problem.
Sadly, I don't think your problem is very similar to my problem...

Btw, forget all I said about a "invisible area", the invisible stuff are now all over the map. All new func's I create get invisible... (the old ones are still visible though)
 |GG|Carl
05-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I finally know what the problem is!
I wrote "developer 1" in the console while testing my map, and this message started to show up 30 times per second:

CL_GetSnapshot: truncated 308 entities to 256

I think this explains it all, all entities "above the limit" get invisible!

So... I there any way to raise the limit a little?
 GothiX
05-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Nope.
 |GG|Carl
05-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I think I heard this somewhere, but IU don't know if it's true; I you give two entities the same targetname, they are counted as one.

Is this true?

If it is, it'd be pretty helpful
 wedge2211
05-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Erm, no. They're both triggered at the same time if you target one of them, but they don't ACT like the same entitiy.
 Codja X
05-15-2004, 1:46 PM
If a lot of the entities are npcs, you could have them spawn in during the course of play of the map, rather than have them all spawn in at once - eg. for every stormtrooper you kill, another one will appear down the line somewhere. I think this works for getting round the limit
 GothiX
05-15-2004, 2:13 PM
The limit is for func_ entities.
 Codja X
05-15-2004, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
The limit is for func_ entities.

Do you know what the brush limit is?
 GothiX
05-16-2004, 7:53 AM
The maximum for brush-based entities in JO MP was 256, I don't think that's changed.
 Codja X
05-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Aww man, i wanted to make a map called "257 doors". guess i'm screwed now:)
 |GG|Carl
05-17-2004, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
The maximum for brush-based entities in JO MP was 256, I don't think that's changed.
I think npc's and fx_runners are counted in too, since they get invisible as well...
Page: 1 of 1