Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Here we go again

Page: 1 of 1
 Crazy_dog no.3
03-03-2004, 4:01 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388940/) Looks like another U-571 to me.
 ExcelsioN
03-03-2004, 4:38 PM
Wait...so this is a movie of a guy who went to Britain and just started flying Spitfires?

This is more like an aerial U571.
 Neverhoodian
03-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Hmmmmmm, this may be good. I just hope they don't "Holly-rock" it; make the movie unrealistic and have needless love affairs. I don't want to see some flamboyant American playboy shooting down five German planes in two minutes. I want it to be more realistic, where the RAF has to fight for its life against a numerically superior foe that is just as dangerous to them as they are to their enemies. I want it to feel gritty, present the fact that death was always just one dogfight away for pilots.

Moreover, Billy Fiske flew Hawker Hurricanes, not Supermarine Spitfires. No doubt the Spitfire has been selected because it is a more glamorous-looking aircraft, but it's not the right aircraft for him to be flying. In fact, contrary to popular belief, only a few RAF squadrons flew Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. The vast majority used Hurricanes. Though not as pretty and older and slower than Spitfires, the Hurricane was nevertheless a stable gun platform and reliable. Hurricanes accounted for well over half of all the aerial kills during the Battle of Britain.

Also, the real Billy Fiske (the pilot Tom Cruise will play) was shot down and died of his wounds shortly thereafter during the height of the Battle of Britain. PLEASE don't make him live, Mr. Director!
 the_raven_03
03-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Never heard of this. This looks like it could be good though.
 Darth Groovy
03-04-2004, 6:27 AM
What's wrong with U-571? I love that movie...:(
 Sivy
03-04-2004, 7:12 AM
could be good, just have to wait and see
 BCanr2d2
03-04-2004, 7:14 AM
U-571 - where it was the Brits who recovered the Enigma coding machine, and NOT the US.....

It's the Hollywood "version" of history, where the US did everything in every war....
 XERXES
03-04-2004, 9:17 AM
Seems like an awesome movie, being a Top Gun fan, I wonder how Cruise will pull off being a WW2 pilot :D

Meh, its just you guys loss if your gona say "oh another u-571 I don't wana see it"
 STTCT
03-04-2004, 10:59 AM
If I see U571 AGAIN I'm going to scream!!!

My husband LOVES that movie - he was actually watching it on Sunday! ACK!

Well - its good that in the war movies they always give the women some eye candy. But I'd much rather prefer Mel Gibson or Josh Hartnett.
 Crazy_dog no.3
03-04-2004, 2:56 PM
It might be good as an action film, but the fact is that there were like 7 volunter Americans and [apparentely] none of them shot a single Nazi plane down. It would be like if the Brits made a film about the few of them that fought in Vietnam.
Of course Tom could play a Canadian in the BoB (there were alot more Canadians) or it could be a gritty Private Ryan style realistic drama were he dies in the end, but we all know that's not gonna happen.
 ExcelsioN
03-04-2004, 3:14 PM
Lets just hope they don't mess it up and have all the Spitfires with american symbols and all the RAF Pilots with american accents...
 Feanaro
03-04-2004, 4:13 PM
Well - its good that in the war movies they always give the women some eye candy. But I'd much rather prefer Mel Gibson or Josh Hartnett.
Josh Hartnett is undoubtably the worst ever actor to walk the earth, nex to Leonardo Dicapprio. I'd rather see.......ME in it!
 ET Warrior
03-04-2004, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by Feanaro
Josh Hartnett is undoubtably the worst ever actor to walk the earth, nex to Leonardo Dicapprio. I'd rather see.......ME in it!

I'd say Paul Walker takes the cake as worst actor ever.

I think this movie could be good, especially since Tom Cruise is to action movies what Adam Sandler is to comedy!
 DarkLord60
03-04-2004, 5:44 PM
Originally posted by Feanaro

You took the words right out of my mouth.
 Neverhoodian
03-04-2004, 9:39 PM
originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3
It might be good as an action film, but the fact is that there were like 7 volunter Americans and [apparentely] none of them shot a single Nazi plane down.

Actually, Billy Fiske was (unofficially) credited with six kills.
 the_raven_03
03-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
I'd say Paul Walker takes the cake as worst actor ever.

I think this movie could be good, especially since Tom Cruise is to action movies what Adam Sandler is to comedy!

I dunno. Vin Diesel gives Paul Walker a run for the worst actor ever.

But I agree that Tom Cruise is awesome.
 dark jedi 8
03-05-2004, 12:53 AM
it could be good, if they don't make it for the sole purpose of getting an oscor.
 Crazy_dog no.3
03-05-2004, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Actually, Billy Fiske was (unofficially) credited with six kills.

Well, I did say "apparently". I'm not sure who killed how much, but it's just what I heard.
Page: 1 of 1