Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Auto-clip

Page: 1 of 1
 JeeMonkey
02-26-2004, 4:53 PM
hey all, if i am bothering people by posting too many questions plz tell me. i dont want to offend anyone.

[QUESTIONS]
1) how do i auto-clip a model in gtk radient 4.0??

[NOTES]
*i do not care about the damn size of the model tell me anyway.
*i searched the forums for this answer already and could not find it
 WadeV1589
02-26-2004, 5:47 PM
I'm glad you don't care about the damned size of the model, really I am...not!

Auto-clipping is very buggy on anything but the largest of triangles. Imagine trying to make tons of tiny little triangular clip brushes for your model 1 unit thick manually....the compiler basically does that! And as well all know, not following the grid causes...yes that's right, borked brushes. The result? You end up with invisible clip brushes near the model (if you're lucky) or across your entire map (the most common occurance).

Nevertheless if you're still adament to ignore advice from people who have been mapping far longer than you and ignore the advice of the creator of Q3Map2 (yes even he's advised against anything but the largest of models) Then simply add a key/value pair of spawnflags/2. Oh and I've said spawnflags two before.
 JeeMonkey
02-27-2004, 6:59 AM
woa dude whats up wit u?
i said size no matter cause i never mentiond size before and u ASSUMED i was making a small model. and i am not judging your skills as a mapper.
 WadeV1589
02-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Well I was there in the last thread this was mentioned where you posted and judging from if size was irrelevant you wouldn't say it (little psyche thing).

I assume based on the way things are said and if you can read your own post and NOT assume you mean a small model then you should be a politician.
 Emon
02-29-2004, 12:57 AM
Autoclip creates one clip brush for every surface, each brush being eight units thick. Why it is not two (the minimum) I do not know. Eight units is eight inches, if that, so even if Q3Map2 creates some clip brushes that make a fat collision model, you probably won't notice in game. Hell, I know I couldn't get it much better than eight units doing it myself.
 WadeV1589
02-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Then why is it my little experiments with it have lead to invisible clip brushes in the middle of no-where, much further than your 8 units.
 rgoer
02-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Because Q3Map2 autoclipping is a nasty, nasty hack that enjoys the smell of garbage data. Phantom blocks of clip, out in the middle of nowhere, are not an uncommon side effect of autoclipping a model that has a varying mesh density. Unless your model consists of a fairly uniform triangle size, chances are Q3Map2 will find a way to screw up the clip.

The moral of the story: it's on the to-do list, but it's a task that would involve actual work--so chances are ydnar won't rewrite autoclip for a good while. Until that day, only use it on terrain (and even then, don't expect miracles).
 WadeV1589
02-29-2004, 1:50 PM
Thank you, my point exactly :D
 Emon
03-02-2004, 3:23 PM
Huh, I never had problems with it. But I never used it a lot.
 wedge2211
03-02-2004, 4:03 PM
I had used it a lot in a WIP map, and I never had any problems with it...none of the side effects you mention...huh.

(I did manually clip the models later, though, so don't jump on me.)
 WadeV1589
03-02-2004, 4:05 PM
If you jump off a bridge into a river below you may or may not die, both could equally happen but would you take the risk? :p

We all love analogies :D
 JeeMonkey
03-03-2004, 9:39 PM
why do u argue so passionatly? are u having an affair with your computer or do u just like being a smart ass?
 WadeV1589
03-03-2004, 11:31 PM
I like being a smart ass, spent too much time taking revenge on teachers that tried to ruin school. Until I left anyway...how I miss school.
Page: 1 of 1