Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC Games that *should* be in your 'top 10' ... but aren't

Page: 1 of 1
 txa1265
02-26-2004, 11:49 AM
OK, here's the thing - we are always seeing 'top 10' this or that ... best of 2003, 2002, 2001 and so on, occasionally the 'top 25 all-time' or whatever.

My thought is this - since we've been told what we *should* like as our top whatever number of games again and again - what games from those lists are *not* in your top # lists?

- Are there games that everybody raves about that you hate?
- Or games you think are OK but have been overhyped or overrated?

What do you think?

(I'll let a few others go first ...)

Mike
 Astrotoy7
02-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Mike, this is a very subjective thing you are requesting. Alot of people are going to like something totally different to the next person,,,,,,I think you shouldve structed things in a poll and isloated certain things....

*Halo..... Zzzzzzz

*ANY car game....... Zzzzzzz

*GTA series..... Zzzzzzzz

...that type of stuff, mainly

im more into things that are involving, with great stories as opposed to big explosions.....thats why I love the Final Fantasy series, and of course KOTOR, the runaway success of 2003......

MTFBWYA
 ZBomber
02-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Well, Animal Crossing got rave reviews. Dumbest. Game. Ever.

That was more 2002 though......
 txa1265
02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Mike, this is a very subjective thing you are requesting. Absolutely - that is what is fun! My thesis is this - there are PC games that are regarded as 'some of the best ever' - but that you didn't like. Name them.

Originally posted by ZBomber
Well, Animal Crossing got rave reviews. Dumbest. Game. Ever.

That was more 2002 though...... Um ... this isn't a time constrained thing (i.e. any year is fine).

*BUT* it *IS* for PC Games *only* ... so I don't care about anyones' dreamcast woes ;)

Mike
 Uber_Saber
02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Doom or Quake (Either one, any of the series)

-Reason: Do these games have a plot? If so, it is lost, mired beneath layers of gore.

Deus Ex: You are a super agent, gone through many rigorous hours of training. Yet you couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from more the 2 feet away. (Please note that I liked the sneaking around, but occasionally, you have to shoot somebody in that game. That's the way I play, anyway. Sneak, sneak, sneak, run up from behind and stab someone in the back of the head. Repeat. (Please note that I use the knife because I found it more effective than the pistol. The guns were what I was referring to.))

That's all that occur to me right now.
 Uber_Saber
02-26-2004, 12:53 PM
D'oh! I meant to press 'Edit', and hit 'Quote'.

I didn't even notice, either.
 Sivy
02-26-2004, 1:14 PM
enter the matrix, it was fun and it integrated well with the movies, but they really should have done better. they missed a golden opportunity to make a kick ass game, i still liked it though.
 DarkLord60
02-26-2004, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by Siv
enter the matrix, it was fun and it integrated well with the movies, but they really should have done better. they missed a golden opportunity to make a kick ass game, i still liked it though.

No kidding I was really disapointed when i rented it I am just glad I didnt buy it.
 txa1265
02-26-2004, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by Siv
enter the matrix, it was fun and it integrated well with the movies, but they really should have done better. they missed a golden opportunity to make a kick ass game, i still liked it though. But did anyone actually (officially, I mean) think that was good? I thought the reviews all put it in the 60% range?

Mike
 txa1265
02-26-2004, 2:16 PM
OK, I'll do mine:
- Half-Life - I just never connected.
- Call of Duty - sure it was good, but also very short, with no plot
- Halo - maybe it rocked in 2001 ... it felt tired in 2003 ... and I felt it was obvious that they stretched it to be longer than it was. Again, good game.
- The Sims whatever - just not me.
- Diablo I & II - Diablo turned me off RPG for 6 years.
- MP-based games like counterstrike, RTCW:ET, and so on.
- Madden / Tony Hawk / GTA / whatever.
- Any RTS - ok, I admit it - I only like FPS and RPG. So what.

I'd probably agree with the Doom and Quake things, but I was there and active when they came out ... and it didn't matter. I remember in 1994 having a laptop with enough power to play Doom in the car while my wife drove ... ahhh ...

Mike
 DarkLord60
02-26-2004, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by txa1265

- The Sims whatever - just not me.

Mike

Now thats a game I can't stand.
 txa1265
02-27-2004, 10:12 AM
OK, say that 'Y' is the game you're *supposed* to like, and 'X' is basically the same genre, lower-ranked game - but *you* like 'X' better.

Add it here ...

Mike
 txa1265
02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
I'd rather play XIII than Max Payne I or II

I'd rather play Elite Force II than Halo

I'd rather play SoFII than Call of Duty

I'd rather play Dark Forces than Doom

I'd rather play JK than Quake II

I'd rather play NWN than BG2

Mike
 Sivy
02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
But did anyone actually (officially, I mean) think that was good? I thought the reviews all put it in the 60% range?

Mike

it was more the hype factor. review-wise it got what it derserved, but it was over-hyped pre-release.
 txa1265
02-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Siv
it was more the hype factor. review-wise it got what it derserved, but it was over-hyped pre-release. So it fit right in with the (crappy) movies? 2003 was not kind to the Matrix, IMO. I just hope it doesn't trash the legacy of a really cool and iconic flick.

But then there's Tomb Raider - everything looks good next to *that* 2003 game/film combo.

Mike
 Astrotoy7
02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
.... My thesis is this...

Mike

*wow, do they offer post grad degrees in 'game liking speculation' !! which college is this at again :p I might do my masters thesis investigating "The conversion rate average of NJO threads to flamefests is < 6 posts !!"

*perhaps you mean, theory............??? or even hypothesis....? :p

MTFBWYA
 Sivy
02-27-2004, 11:31 AM
"The conversion rate average of NJO threads to flamefests is < 6 posts !!"

oh its less than 6....

NJO sucks!!!!!!

see

:D

i'd rather play mafia than any GTA game
 ZBomber
02-27-2004, 12:24 PM

Um ... this isn't a time constrained thing (i.e. any year is fine).

*BUT* it *IS* for PC Games *only* ... so I don't care about anyones' dreamcast woes ;)

Mike

Ah, sorry. I don't have or play many PC games, so I guess I have nothign to say. ^_^
 txa1265
02-27-2004, 12:37 PM
*wow, do they offer post grad degrees in 'game liking speculation' !! which college is this at again :p I might do my masters thesis investigating "The conversion rate average of NJO threads to flamefests is < 6 posts !!"

*perhaps you mean, theory............??? or even hypothesis....? :p

MTFBWYA Don't f*ck with my semantics, son ... ;)

Main Entry: the·sis
Pronunciation: 'thE-s&s
a position or proposition that a person advances and offers to maintain by argument

Hypothesis is an assumption made, thesis is a posistion taken. My thesis is that I don't like many 'top games' as much as I'm 'supposed to' ... my hypothesis is that many others feel the same way.

:rolleyes: whatever, Mike ...

As for the NJO thing, I've have to go with Siv - on average it is 3 - one to postulate, one to instigate, and one to solidify the flamewar.

Mike
 Crow_Nest
02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Well CS:CZ and DX2 was a big disappointment. :rolleyes:

I expected it to be as good as CoD or JA, but it aint. :(
 Datheus
02-27-2004, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Well CS:CZ and DX2 was a big disappointment. :rolleyes:

I expected it to be as good as CoD or JA, but it aint. :(

Back up, what did you just say?

The game I've probably been most disappointed in was probably Splinter Cell... Yeah, the stealth was cool, but it was just so difficult to try to shoot a single guard...
 Mex
02-27-2004, 4:23 PM
OK, I'll do mine:

- Call of Duty - sure it was good, but also very short, with no plot

Mike

No plot? The heck, the whole damn world war is a plot. You're doing your part to help save your county and if you watched the intro you're heading towards Berlin..
 TiE23
02-27-2004, 5:40 PM
Sim City 4 and the Expanision Pack :
Some magazine gave it the best PC game over the year award.... AND I HATE IT!!! ITS A WASTE OF TIME! :mad:

And Enter The Matrix Sucks brass monkeys

And I don't know very many others, cause I always read reviews off PC Gamer - Game Informer - Game Spot - Official Xbox Magazine(Some times) so I can avoid bad games

And Heres my list of Xbox games and there reletive official ratings and my personal rating

Official/My Rating
Halo : 9.5/10
KotOR : 9.4/8.5
Metal Arms : 8.6/9.0
SSX Tricky : 9.0/9.2
THPS4 : 9.0/8.0
MechAssault : 9.0/8.8
NCAA College FootBall 2003 : 8.5?/8.0
RalliSport Challenge : 9.0/8.6
DOA3 : 9.5?/8.0
Amped : 7.5/8.0
NHL 2003 : 8.5/ N/A
:D

TiE
 txa1265
02-27-2004, 5:58 PM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
No plot? The heck, the whole damn world war is a plot. You're doing your part to help save your county and if you watched the intro you're heading towards Berlin.. That is basically like saying that Siege mode has a plot.

It doesn't mean CoD isn't good - it just has no real plot. It has a situation.

Mike
 Domo-Kun
02-27-2004, 6:57 PM
Tetris...the graphics are amazing! >.> <.<...*hides*
 Pie™
03-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Halo
Half-Life
The Sims
SimCity (any game)

All I can think of ATM...
 Astrotoy7
03-01-2004, 11:22 PM
...Don't f*ck with my semantics, son ...

... :rolleyes: whatever, Mike ...

Mike

of course, your position differs to others', inevitably. Just as your hypothesis externalises your position, it isn't too terrible to describe it as a hypothesis either, from the point of view of the external singular. :p

:rolleyes: whatever Astro

....I like foolin with old people, there's always so much to learn..

Of course I was referring to thesis, noun(for all you kids that are interested)

MTFBWYA
 TheJackal
03-02-2004, 12:10 AM
GRIM FANDANGO

still my favorite game of all time.

not the typical game you run through in 1 hour. this beauty takes time, but you enjoy every moment of it. its a master piece. funny too
 jokemaster
03-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Enter the Matrix was overhyped
Halo is overhyped and overrated
GTA is overrated, didn't get attention until the controversy began where I live.
The Sims waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated

SoF II was underrated
where I live Max Payne I and II are way underrated
Driver is underrated
Rouge Leader is underrated at my school
Metroid games are waaaaaaaay underrated at my school
NWN is underrated in some places overrated in others
Heck, where I live ANY awesome PC game is underrated. According to my classmates, the best PC game out there is Halo :rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1