Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

EasyGen

Page: 1 of 1
 Darksaber_SMC
02-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Hey guys :D

I'm learning how to use EasyGen... It's really good!

Just got a prob that when I get it into radiant and compile, the terrain comes out as a black and white grid texture :(

I've followed this tutorial by the book and perfect, but the end part is really confusing, and not really explained in a way i can undersand. Can you guys help?

[ http://rgoer.webhop.net/tutorials.htm) ] <--- Tutorial

The last 2 paragraphs i dont understand. I dunno whats happning with the shader and adding to shaderlist, etc and how its all put together.

Also, I have to use the same map that easygen creates because i cant select the whole terrain. Is there a command i can use to select everything in the map?

lol guys, can someone explain? :o

--Darksaber :atat:
 WadeV1589
02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Moving terrain is easy, just use Shift+Alt+Click on any terrain brush and you'll select the entire func_group.

As for the shader it creates....move it into your \base\shaders\ folder.

Then open shaderlist.txt which is in \base\shaders and add the name of the shader file onto a line of it's own in that file (open it in Wordpad if you have 1.4.0 due to the 'optimisation' that was done on them....in Linux....not thinking about new-to-mapping Windows users).

Now open the .shader file and go way down to the bottom and find that last entry which will look something like
textures/myterrain/terrain_base
{
blah
blah blah
}
cut it and paste it at the top of the file is all that paragraph says.
 Torchy
02-23-2004, 6:25 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
open it in Wordpad if you have 1.4.0 due to the 'optimisation' that was done on them....
yup, i love the new 'improved' shaders :rolleyes:. but remember! a few kilobytes was saved by removing all the comments! even though we distribute models which the modders already have! :cool:
 WadeV1589
02-23-2004, 7:00 PM
The idea was to ensure all the shaders were in the right file....and in the end most people got confused cuz if you open them in notepad they look like garbage...

The default game style is so much better!
 Darksaber_SMC
02-23-2004, 7:00 PM
Cool thanx for the shortcut key!

But the textures still wont show up :(

It may have something to do with the name of the map?

This is what I do... please correct my mistakes :)

Ok, I make a Terrain Map, import it into EasyGEN and make my terrain and texture it.
Then when it's ready I save it as "test.egn"
I then click to export my map, and the screen comes up.
I replace:
common/terrain
common/caulk
with:
system/terrain
system/caulk

I then make my template "rgoer"

Under alphamap, i click the "..." button and save the alphamap as "test.pcx" in my JKA base folder.
Then, under "metashader" I have the file name as "test.shader" and the name as: textures/test/terrain

I then click the 'continue' button :D

I save the map as "test.map" and wait.
After this has finished, I move test.shader from my base/scripts folder to my base/shaders folder.
I open test.shader up in word pad and move:

textures/Sniper/terrain_base
{
nopicmips
q3map_lightmapaxis z
q3map_lightmapmergable
q3map_tcGen ivector ( 512 0 0 ) ( 0 512 0 )
}

Right at the start. I save. Then i open shaderlist.txt in wordpad and add "test" at the botom. I save :P

So yey! It's done (is it :o )

I open test.map in GtkRadiant, shift-alt click the terrain and copy it. I then make a new map and paste the terrain in. I make some sky add an info_player_start. I save it as "final.map" and compile it :D [This map is for Multiplayer]

I go into the game, run my map and ahh! There are no textures, only this black grid with white lines :(

Whats wrong with my current method? :confused:

Appriciate any help ;D
Thank you!

--Darksaber :atat:
 GothiX
02-23-2004, 7:22 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
The idea was to ensure all the shaders were in the right file....and in the end most people got confused cuz if you open them in notepad they look like garbage...

The default game style is so much better!
Hit Ctrl+S in wordpad, and you can open them normally in notepad again.
 rgoer
02-23-2004, 8:10 PM
Darksaber: sv_pure 0
 Darksaber_SMC
02-23-2004, 8:19 PM
OMG, WTF! hahaha!

ahh! Thanx hahahha, how culd i be so stupid. The last map i made contained extra textures. Putting in that command allowed me to view them... because these this is custom terrain with a custom shader using the same command shows them up!

Thanx man, how could i be so stupid :confused: (no comment :p :D)

haha thanx!

--Darksaber :atat: :atat: :atat:
 JoeSolo
02-27-2004, 12:20 PM
I do it the lazy way make it export it to .map open the .map get rid of the extra terrain i dont want, caulk it and then texture it and forget about the shaders etc :D lol
 Darksaber_SMC
02-27-2004, 1:33 PM
lol but that kinda destroys the purpose :p

EasyGen auto caulks your terrain for you :D and also having the shader file makes those nice smoothed blended textures which u cant do in radiant (at least i dont think so)

heh :)
 WadeV1589
02-27-2004, 7:21 PM
Hit Ctrl+S in wordpad, and you can open them normally in notepad again.
You don't think I know that GothiX?....

...my point is the n00bs to mapping are confused enough as it is with shaders without adding the confusion of there being no line breaks in notepad unless you re-save them i write/wordpad/ultraedit....and so on.
Page: 1 of 1