Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rebel Strike on the Gamecube....

Page: 1 of 1
 Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Does anyone here have Rebel Strike ???.....I am just curious, how does it compare to Rogue leader, and what is its multiplayer option like.....

MTFBWYA
 dark jedi 8
02-16-2004, 2:18 PM
i found that rebel strike was easier that rogue leader but the missions where your on foot are not very refined. but rebel strike does have the full version of rogue leader for co-op so that's a definate plus!

i havn't played much mp besides the co-op, but the co-op is really cool.:D
 toms
02-16-2004, 2:54 PM
it got worse reviews.

had better graphics and more content, but sounded too much like Rebel Assault (ie, bad diverse gameplay but nice graphics).

I don't know why they didn't try and fix the problems of Rogue Leader before trying to add on-foot missions.

Co-op Rogue Leader and the remake of SW Arcade look cool though, and it is going cheap these days. (went straight to the bargain bin as far as i could tell).
 Boba Rhett
02-16-2004, 3:04 PM
Nuts. If you would have brought this up a few days ago I could have shown you a place to get it brand new and with the bonus disk for only 15 bucks. :(
 Neverhoodian
02-16-2004, 3:06 PM
As far as the single player aspect of Rebel Strike, I was disappointed. All of the flight portions had some certain goal that you had to accomplish in a very short period of time. For example, in the first mission you're probably in the air for a total of one minute. (or two minutes if you're new to the series) Flight missions rarely last longer than three minutes. The flight missions seem, needless to say very rushed. It's a far cry from loitering over Imperial bases blasting everything in sight, one of my favorite Rogue Squadron pasttimes. It seems Factor 5 focused more on the vehicle and on-foot portions of the game. It's a shame, since the flight portions are (still) what Factor 5 is best at.

The vehicle missions are actually pretty good. You'll get an adrenaline rush when you're racing speeder bikes through Endor. The AT-ST ones are pretty neat, too.

Now the true Achille's heel of Rebel Strike, the on-foot portions. In comparison to the Jedi Knight series, (and KOTOR I suppose) the on-foot missons of Rebel Strike are non-intuitive, Rambo-esque button mashers. I would even go so far as to say Shadows of the Empire had a better on-foot layout! Fun at first, but then it quickly becomes boring.

This is a minor gripe, but the cutscenes for the missions could've used more work. For some reason, the camera fades to black between scenes, often momentarily stopping the sound and music in the process. It robs the cutscenes of some of their intended drama and flair. A shame, because it really is a pretty good plot for a Star Wars game.

Though single player was still fun, it wasn't the ultimate Star Wars fun-fest I was expecting it to be. The multiplayer, on the other hand, was pretty fun.

The co-op Rogue Leader missions were great. They've improved the cutscenes and upped the difficulty for the missions, making it a challenge for you and your partner. Unfortunately, the person I had to play it with really put a dampner on the experience. I played with my father, a man who thinks any game that uses more than three buttons is way too complicated. What's worse, he often gets too much into the game until he's a sweating, trembling wreck after half an hour or so.

Needless to say, there was friction. He kept complaining about not being able to see anything. Granted, we have a tiny TV, but I had no problem seeing the TIEs. (and I know my father has good eyesight, he just didn't have that trained eye that Rogue Squadron veterans have for spotting TIEs) It eventually got to the point that I was yelling at him in frustration to follow the mission objectives while he was yelling back that he could if he could see the objective.

I gave up co-op play and decided to try standard multiplayer with him. That turned out to be much more successful, particularly the Destruction mode. (both players try to blow up as many enemy units as possible) Though we had fun for a while, there's only so much fun to be had competing in what becomes essentially a contest of which ship can turn faster.

I suppose that if you get a friend who's good at playing the game, co-op can be a truly entralling gaming experience. Unfortunately, I was not able to experience it to its full potential. In closing, consider the game if you have a fellow gamer to play it with. If not, then you're probably better off renting it.
 jebbers
02-16-2004, 3:32 PM
yea i thot i was done and then one day bam theres more levels.....if you do get it if your like me, then you'll absolutly loathe the deception at dubrillion level.....stupid tunnels.......
 DarkLord60
02-16-2004, 4:33 PM
I beat the game its pretty fun way better than rogue leader.
 Alegis
02-16-2004, 5:33 PM
I got the game some time ago, now getting medals everywhere (medal (mostly silver) everywhere, saving up for rebel endurance) and I loved the game. The on foot missions were abit crap, but thanks to those thingies they could put more star wars scenes in the missions. I only played hte first RS but i definitely liked RS III (speeder bike= awesome..almost have ultimate medal there :cool: ), and co-op is definitely something fun (dont really fancy battle so much). I recommend it
 Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 6:03 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Nuts. If you would have brought this up a few days ago I could have shown you a place to get it brand new and with the bonus disk for only 15 bucks. :(

thanks anyway Rhett, but yo have to remember... I am in Australia, and secondly I am actually planning on getting it with a a xmas voucher I had fromm eb games..... I already have got RLeader for $10..... :D

MTFBWYA
 Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 6:11 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Unfortunately, the person I had to play it with really put a dampner on the experience.......I played with my father, a man who thinks any game that uses more than three buttons is way too complicated. What's worse, he often gets too much into the game until he's a sweating, trembling wreck after half an hour or so.

Wow, you're old man having a try is cool(and funny), my dad wouldve clipped me behind the ears(ie.slapped me on the head) and told me to go and do something more constructive... :p)

But I wont have this problem, my mp friends are quite capable and familiar with the whole thing...I just wish one of them had a GBA so we could play Final Fantasy : Chrystal Chronicles MP Mode..... Im sure we'll track one down.....

MTFBWYA
Page: 1 of 1