Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

BAFTA awards

Page: 1 of 1
 Crazy_dog no.3
02-16-2004, 8:39 AM
The British equivalent of Oscars. For anyone who is interested, here are the results:

Best British Film- Touching the Void

Best Supporting Actor- Bill Nighy(Love Actually)

Best Film Not in the English Language- In This World

Music- Cold Mountain

Contribution to British Film Industry- Working Title Films

Cinematography- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Production Design- Master and Commander

Orange Film of the Year- Lord of the Ring: Return of the King

Best Supporting Actress- Renee Zellweger (sp?)

Original Screenplay- Forgot the name of the writer, but the film was "The Station Agent"

Adapted Screenplay- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Directing- Master and Commander

Best Actress- Scarlet Johansson (Lost in Translation)

Best Actor- Bill Murray (Lost in Translation)

Make Up- Pirates of the Carribean

Costume Design- Master and Commander

Best Visual Effects- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Sound- Master and Commander

Editing- Lost in Translation

Fellow of the British Film Academy- John Boorman

Best Film- Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
 Boba Rhett
02-16-2004, 10:55 AM
What's Orange film of the year? And why didn't Jackson get best director? :p
 toms
02-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Orange is the mobile phone company that sponsors the event. Film of the year is voted for by the public, the others are selected by the academy.

I guess he didn't get best director cos they thought peter weir was a better director. Since i haven't seen master & commander I can't comment. Jackson was the favorite though. BAFTAs often err on the side of the underdog.

i agreed with most of their awards, though i though Sprited Away should have won something, and I can't for the life of me see why Cold Mountain got best music. I thought the music was out of place and distracting, LOTR or Kill Bill should definately have got that.

I also thought there was a bit too much bias towards recent films, with those from a year ago suffering slightly.

Can anyone tell me why Girl with the Pearl earing got so many nominations? I haven't read a single review of it that said it was better than good.
 Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Great... "Venkman" from Ghostbusters won best actor....... :(

my respect for the British Academy has just gone out the window, completely .......

MTFBWYA
 toms
02-16-2004, 2:35 PM
As far as i am aware, he is the favorite for the oscars as well.
Most reviews i have read have loved Lost in Translation, a few have hated it. ALL of them have said that bill murray is stunning and the best thing in the film.
I want to watch it just to see if he is as good as i have heard.
 Darklighter
02-16-2004, 3:58 PM
I can't believe that Master and Commander won Production Design over LOTR. And the Best Director award should've gone to Jackson. I'm glad ROTK went away with Best Film though, it definitely deserved it. I can't really pass judgement on films like Cold Mountain, since I haven't seen it yet. As for Lost in Translation, lot of people I know have gone to see it, and said it was just amazing, especially Bill Murray. So, I'm not too annoyed about him winning Best Actor over Johhny Depp in Pirates... :p XD
 ExcelsioN
02-16-2004, 4:08 PM
Well, its good that LOTR won 5 awards, and POTC won 1. I haven't seen any of the others.
 Alegis
02-16-2004, 5:35 PM
so it's basicly ROTK and 'lost in translation' that win
Page: 1 of 1