Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Search someone

Page: 1 of 1
 -]Holoman[-
02-15-2004, 4:49 PM
Hello, this is a little bit crasy method to search but :

Can someone say me how I can contact one of the Boss-Coder from the Game : Jedi Academy ?

Iґve a question witch I didinґt cry out in the World.
I were very pleased when someone can tell me that.

I konw that someone would write something like :

- They didnґt answer
or
more like this.....
but
I want to try it in any case.
 razorace
02-16-2004, 3:47 AM
What's the question? Someone here can possibly answer it.
 -]Holoman[-
02-16-2004, 2:52 PM
Didnґt goes over JA ... ..... rather over Q3 ... Real Source Code ...
But when someone here has Experience with Q3 he could be able to help me.
 razorace
02-16-2004, 7:28 PM
So, basically you want to ask a Q3 question to the JKA creators? Why?

Anyway, I have some experience, just ask the bloody question. :)
 -]Holoman[-
02-17-2004, 4:48 PM
Hmm .. no risk no fun ... my question -->

Where im Code is the point of gravity ?
And how can I change the point of it ?

... .. me reason :

When I change the point of gravitation .. --> I can make a mod, where the gravity is only a point in the middle of the map ... how the real world ...

When this works .. then grows up a new era of mapping ..

Of corse you understand why I didnґt want to tell this anyone in a FOrum like this ... to danger that someone steal this Idee....

**** happens ....
 RenegadeOfPhunk
02-17-2004, 5:11 PM
When I change the point of gravitation .. --> I can make a mod, where the gravity is only a point in the middle of the map ... how the real world ...

When this works .. then grows up a new era of mapping ..

Huh? What now?
...your making a map which includes the centre of the earth (/moon/planet)?!

...that's gonna be one BIG download...!! :D
 -]Holoman[-
02-17-2004, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by -]Holoman[-
I want to try it in any case.
[/B]

Read befor write !
Ok I know what you think but .. s.o.
 Wudan
02-17-2004, 6:02 PM
I'll forgive the bad english. In Quake3 Games, the 'gravity' is really just down - straight down. You can't make a globe and people won't be able to walk on the surface of it, like our planet earth. It is possible to code this kind of things in games, but it really wouldn't be worth it. You'd have a better time doing some other kinds of rad spatial effects, as the key goal of walking on a sphere/planet is that you can walk in one direction and if you walk long enough, you eventually reach the same point you were at before, which isn't possible currently in the Quake3 engine, unless you did some heavy modifications.

Are you a mapper or a coder? Modelling real world physics is a rough thing to accomplish, so much so that no video game completely recreates our physics, largely because we don't understand all of it. Central point gravitation is easy enough, I'd wager, but it'd be a rough journey from scratch.
 razorace
02-17-2004, 6:47 PM
Could you maybe simulate the the effect with movers or something?
 -]Holoman[-
02-18-2004, 4:15 PM
Hmm Wudan youґre right ...
but one Game has make it ! no one Game an one Mod ...
The Game is Serios Sam ... Ok .. it isnґt Q3 but this game used this kind of gravity...
The Mod is an Mod for Half - Life ... ... DragonBall Z ... Iґve seen a Video of this Engine WOA O.o this is more then excellent ... of corse .. when I found this Video .. I can post a link...

@ youre question :

Iґm a Mapper, Modeller, Coder (no realy long), ... the full pallet of Editing ^^

Hmmm ..Nothing the despite .. Iґm gratefully to all of you for youre "help" ^^ didnґt bring me further but Iґm more smartly

Thx @ all to read my worse English ^^

cu all sometime --> Close
 RenegadeOfPhunk
02-18-2004, 5:48 PM
Is this 'point of gravity' stuff meant to be used as:

a. A special case situation (e.g. the circular capsule in the spacecraft in 2001 for instance)

or

b. a standard mapping technique for 'normal' maps.

If a, then fair enough.

...but if b, then sorry, but this is an idea that isn't worth talking about...
Maybe for an engine which can handle areas 100's of miles across - where you might actually want (if you were really being anal) to take the curvature of the earth (/ other planetary body) into account, it might be something to consider.

..but for QIII?! :confused:
 Azymn
02-19-2004, 10:09 PM
You could probably simulate spherical gravity through code, but not through just mapping alone.

If you mapped a curved surface, you could perform a trace towards the surface, and then orient the player skeleton based on that trace. Constantly add a vector based the trace's direction to the player's velocity and bingo - instant gravity. There's some precedent to it - something similar has already been done in JKA (without the skeleton rotation, which might be tricky) with sideways wallwalking. It would, as mentioned above, require some healthy coding though, assuming all the assumptions hold.
Page: 1 of 1