Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Whats happening?!

Page: 1 of 1
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Okay, heres my problem, I've restarted, shut down, defragged, done a virus scan, disk clean up EVERYTHING, but my computer still runs really really slowly, like, it takes 10 seconds to start up ANY program, it takes forever to start up, and all. :eek: :confused: I've closed many programs, ended many background things, But nothing will work! Someone help me!
 topshot
02-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Try doing a recovery. That just basically came out of my head.
 [RAA]-=Chi3f=-
02-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Did you do one of the following

1) Recently install a new program or driver
1) Recently install new hardware
2) Updated windows
3) Had your system crash or Restart
4) Power outage

It could be that you may have a virus in your Registry, Spyware, or a Trojan Horse too. I'd try using Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Ad-aware (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3327636,00.html)
SpyBot Search and Destroy! (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3387119,00.html)
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Hmm.... I installed Norton Antivirus 2002 just yesderday, I thought that was slowing it down, uninstalled, still nothing, I have spybot and adware, I always scan for stuff with those, I'm going to try regseeker.

EDIT: also installed Medieval total war again, and my new scanner.

EDIT2: Hey look! My post count is my IQ!:p
 [RAA]-=Chi3f=-
02-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Did you use Speed Disk by Norton?

I had it really mess up my hard drives a few years ago. They ran about 20% slower than normal due to the way Norton defragged them. I didn't care though, it was a corporate system :)

I re-defragged with the windows tools and it was back to normal.

Also, you can roll back your setting like topshot said. If you can't do it in Windows, press the space bar before the windows loading screen apears. This will give you an option to roll-back too.
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Well, I didn't at all -use- norton, I had it installed for 5 minutes. (I don't trust Norton products anymore :p ) Then I got the problem (mind you, it gradually got worse, until I had to restart the computer 6 times in order for it to work, blah) then I could run games, or anything that took up more than 60mb of RAM. Regseeker seems to have done something, it dug up some "invalid ActiveX contollers" or something. Is that a potential threat?
 Agen_Terminator
02-15-2004, 1:31 AM
Norton Antivirus 2002
You did update it didn't you? :p
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 1:39 AM
Heh, Didn't even bother, like I said, I had the thing installed for about 5 minutes. Thanks [RAA]-=Chi3f=- RegSeeker did the job.
 Lil Killa
02-15-2004, 5:57 AM
I had a problem with Norton once... My computer just got slow one day. no crashes, no hardware, no opened emails, nothing that might have made it slow. eventualy it got so slow it crashed regulary ly and I had to reformat.

I still, surprisingly, use Norton antivirus but not all the fancy tools.. only the firewall and the virus scan thing.

If your comp screws up really bad like mine did save all your important stuff and reformat... Worked for me : /
 Crow_Nest
02-15-2004, 7:02 AM
Hmmm.... Sounds like your PC is corrupted (sp?) because you did something to it, i dont know.

Try a reformat.
 Pie™
02-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Maybe the disc is damaged, try a disk scan...(not antivirus)
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Well, I got a message saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error" and it had something to do with a hardware driver, which I believe is the scanner I installed on Thursday. :(
 IG-64
02-15-2004, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by [RAA]-=Chi3f=-
Did you do one of the following

1) Recently install a new program or driver
1) Recently install new hardware
2) Updated windows
3) Had your system crash or Restart
4) Power outage

It could be that you may have a virus in your Registry, Spyware, or a Trojan Horse too. I'd try using Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Ad-aware (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3327636,00.html)
SpyBot Search and Destroy! (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/downloadoftheday/story/0,24330,3387119,00.html)

HEy, free adaware, thanks, i've been needing to install that
 DarkLord60
02-15-2004, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Hmmm.... Sounds like your PC is corrupted (sp?) because you did something to it, i dont know.

Try a reformat.

Reformat is not the solution thats the last resort. Listen I cant give you any advice that these guys havent given already but do not format take it to tech if you have to.
 Anthony
02-15-2004, 8:55 PM
Great, just F**KING GREAT. I had to format, restore, everything. It just wouldn;t go away, I called tech support, everything. :( :mad: I backed up all my documents and junk.

Almost all my programs went corrupt, including IE and Mozilla. No games would load. Nothing. everything was a mess.

I tried to do one of those "last good configuration" things, but that made it worse, COMPONENTS OF WINDOWS WERE MISSING.

*head explodes*
 Crow_Nest
02-16-2004, 9:18 AM
Wow.... If its a virus, it must be a damn powerful and strong one... ;P.

Why not buy a new one? :rolleyes: (if you have the money)
 [RAA]-=Chi3f=-
02-16-2004, 10:22 AM
A lot of viruses attack multiple things now, instead of just a trojan horse infecting your hard drive or a worm(hole) stealing your bandwidth.

The best way to stop this from happening is use a registry cleaner, anti virus protection, ad-ware program, and a firewall. Keep the firewall on and run the others at least once a month. Also you need to update windows and your other applications periodically.

I've had some really nasty one's before. :(

Death to all evil-hackers!
 Anthony
02-16-2004, 9:53 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Why not buy a new one?

:eek: Impossible. My money is -gone- aside from a pitiful 245 dollars, which will hopefully grow. (bah, I need a job)
Page: 1 of 1