Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I feel like cursing

Page: 1 of 1
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 3:05 PM
MMMMPIE posted a link to a site and I decided to D/L a custom boot screen, when I installed it my brand new computer would not load windows

:indif:

*head falls off*
 ExcelsioN
02-12-2004, 3:34 PM
Post me a link and I'll see what I can do. I think you've got a virus.

Wait...how did you post this?
 leXX
02-12-2004, 3:43 PM
You shouldn't play around with boot screens unless you are absolutely certain you know what you are doing. Do you have XP? If you do, get Style XP (http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php) and you can change the boot screen easily, as well as your theme, logon, wallpaper and icons.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by ExcelsioN
Post me a link and I'll see what I can do. I think you've got a virus.

Wait...how did you post this?

my brother's comp

http://www.themexp.org/theme_detail.php?type=boot&cat=1&mid=10049&view=date)

btw, I feel like someone just shot my dog
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by leXX
You shouldn't play around with boot screens unless you are absolutely certain you know what you are doing. Do you have XP? If you do, get Style XP (http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php) and you can change the boot screen easily, as well as your theme, logon, wallpaper and icons.

Yes I have XP, well... I had XP, I can't use it now.

So does that mean i'm screwed?
 ExcelsioN
02-12-2004, 3:49 PM

Yeah, you should use Style XP. I do. Its possible that something you changed didn't work, and meant that Windows stopped loading. Either that, or its not displaying the boot screen, so try waiting for a while.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by ExcelsioN
Yeah, you should use Style XP. I do. Its possible that something you changed didn't work, and meant that Windows stopped loading. Either that, or its not displaying the boot screen, so try waiting for a while.

Waiting for it to load?
 leXX
02-12-2004, 4:21 PM
My husband knows exactly what to do, but he isn't home for another couple of hours, so hold tight. ;)
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 4:21 PM
I feel like im going to die from greif.

I can't help myself from thinking i'm stupid and its all my fault

EDIT: I'll try
 leXX
02-12-2004, 5:27 PM
My husband needs to know:

What type of file system was it - NTFS or FAT32?

Was XP service pack 1 installed?
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 5:30 PM
My husband needs to know:

What type of file system was it - NTFS or FAT32?

Was XP service pack 1 installed?

I don't know :(
 Pie™
02-12-2004, 5:39 PM
get Style XP (http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php) and you can change the boot screen easily, as well as your theme, logon, wallpaper and icons. I said that when i posted the link :rolleyes:
I hope you manage to fix it IG
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 5:43 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
I said that when i posted the link :rolleyes:
I hope you manage to fix it IG

I did get StyleXP, it did my login but I couldn't find anything for boot screens

Btw, I'm not blaming anything on you, pie.
 ET Warrior
02-12-2004, 5:43 PM
And todays lesson kids, is don't go messing with your computers settings unless you know what you're doing.
 Pie™
02-12-2004, 5:47 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
I did get StyleXP, it did my login but I couldn't find anything for boot screens Then you probably didn't get the newest version, I'm using a custom boot screen...
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
And todays lesson kids, is don't go messing with your computers settings unless you know what you're doing.

Lesson learned, I don't know why I was so stupid :(

When/If I get my computer us and running again, i'll get the newer version of stylexp like pie said
 leXX
02-12-2004, 5:55 PM
You need to find out if it's NTFS or FAT32 first.

If it's a brand new computer (recently bought within the last 8 months), it should have windows xp service pack one installed.

There are two possible solutions:

FAT32:
1. Create a dos boot disc. Copy the file ntoskrnl.exe (C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) from another computer which is running Windows XP with SP1 onto the boot disk.

2. Boot from the dos disc and copy the ntoskrnl.exe file to C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

3. Remove dos disc and restart the computer.

NTFS:
1. Create a emergency boot disk from a computer running Windows XP with SP.

Goto Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools>Backup. From the Tools menu, select the ASR wizard and take a back up of the files.

2. Copy the file ntoskrnl.exe (C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) onto the disk if wizard hasn't done so.

3. Boot from the emergency boot disc and copy the ntoskrnl.exe file to C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

4. Remove disc and restart the computer.

You should have your computer up and running.

The above will work if you had service pack 1 installed, but if you didn't, then you need to copy the same files from a PC which is not running service pack 1.

Lastly, thank my husband. ;)
 -=DarkZero=-
02-12-2004, 5:57 PM
If I were you, I'd just get rid of windows, you know, uninstall it, set it on fire, kick it a few times, smash it with a hammer or other blunt objects, until it turns to a pile of nothingness.

Get LINUX! :D (Or Unix!)
 Astrotoy7
02-12-2004, 6:01 PM
poor IG, that sux, hope you get it fixed dude.

Im playing with style xp at the moment, Im just sticking to visual styles rather than themes, so as not to mess with those other things.....

MTFBWYA
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 6:17 PM
You need to find out if it's NTFS or FAT32 first.

If it's a brand new computer (recently bought within the last 8 months), it should have windows xp service pack one installed.

There are two possible solutions:

FAT32:
1. Create a dos boot disc. Copy the file ntoskrnl.exe (C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) from another computer which is running Windows XP with SP1 onto the boot disk.

2. Boot from the dos disc and copy the ntoskrnl.exe file to C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

3. Remove dos disc and restart the computer.

NTFS:

Goto Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools>Backup. From the Tools menu, select the ASR wizard and take a back up of the files.

2. Copy the file ntoskrnl.exe (C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) onto the disk if wizard hasn't done so.

3. Boot from the emergency boot disc and copy the ntoskrnl.exe file to C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

You should have your computer up and running.

The above will work if you had service pack 1 installed, but if you didn't, then you need to copy the same files from a PC which is not running service pack 1.

Lastly, thank my husband. ;)

Ok, the computer i'm on uses FAT32 and doesn't have Start> Programs>Accessories>System tools>Backup but my computer uses NTFS, so what do I do?
 leXX
02-12-2004, 6:19 PM
Then you do this...

NTFS:

IG-64
02-12-2004, 6:22 PM
Then you do this...

But the one i'm on doesn't have a Start>Programs>Accessories>System tools>Backup
 DarkLord60
02-12-2004, 6:26 PM

LeXX is right Infact I wouldnt even change it its noth worth messing around for new art at a bootup screen
 ET Warrior
02-12-2004, 7:04 PM
But the one i'm on doesn't have a Start> Programs>Accessories>System tools>Backup

Find one that does.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 7:27 PM
I have the originall file backed up on the comp itself, is there any way I can copy and paste it using DOS or something?
 ET Warrior
02-12-2004, 8:13 PM
The Wizard you're gonna run is going to put more than one file on your disk. IF Lexx can get you a list of all the files you need, then yes, you could copy them to a disk from DOS.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 8:36 PM
The Wizard you're gonna run is going to put more than one file on your disk. IF Lexx can get you a list of all the files you need, then yes, you could copy them to a disk from DOS.

but don't I want to copy them to System32?
 RoxStar
02-12-2004, 8:38 PM
Yes I have XP, well... I had XP, I can't use it now.

So does that mean i'm screwed?

If you bought XP you probably have an XP disc or s system restore disc. Pop it in and watch the magic work.
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 8:42 PM
Originally posted by RoxStar
If you bought XP you probably have an XP disc or s system restore disc. Pop it in and watch the magic work.

What doees that do? Does it get rid of anything already on my comp?
 ET Warrior
02-12-2004, 8:46 PM
What doees that do? Does it get rid of anything already on my comp?

If it's a system restore, then it'll just set your computer settings to how they were at some past time. Sometimes you'll lose a lot of files in a system restore...sometimes you dont.
 Tyrion
02-12-2004, 8:48 PM
Yeah, you can pop the XP CD in to do a complete repair. Heck, I had to do this a few weeks ago(reminder kids, dont set LargeSystemCache to 1..it can possibly screw up your computer), even though I did end up formatting..

Anyway, personally, one of your best bets is to search for the sites on Google. I found a few there that were pretty helpful, but I forgot the names of the sites.

By the way, if you think it's a virus you could pop in the Norton Systemworks CD if you have it, it can scan for viri.
 leXX
02-12-2004, 8:59 PM
but don't I want to copy them to System32?

You need to get this file (http://lexx.echonetwork.net/ntoskrnl.zip) into your c:\windows\system32 directory.

The commands to do this with dos are:

If you are booting from a floppy -

copy ntoskrnl.exe c:\windows\system32
 IG-64
02-12-2004, 9:30 PM
NM, were just gonna reformat :(

I learned my lesson, don't over-customize

We lost Bloody Nuke 5 and 4 but we still have them on VHS and maybe on CD somewhere, other than that I can't think of anything I would really cry over losing, just as long as I get my beloved back
 ZBomber
02-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Same thing happened to me in the summer. Worst feeling n the world......

I got a little pop up that wanted me to log in. I kept pressing cancel, eventually got logged into an account, got into stylexp and burned up that bitch. :p
 Crow_Nest
02-13-2004, 4:06 AM
Yeah could be a virus that came with the file you downloaded or there was some spyware in the link, did you try doing a scan?
 ET Warrior
02-13-2004, 4:09 AM
Kinda tough to do a scan when he can't get into windows :rolleyes:
 leXX
02-13-2004, 8:12 AM
NM, were just gonna reformat :(

After all that, you are gonna re-format and loose everything for no reason! Oh well, I tried.
 Orca Wail
02-13-2004, 9:45 AM
I did something dumb like this last year...

...i inherited my aunt's seven (yesh, 7) year-old laptop. I was SUPPOSED to use it only for typing, but you know...I wanted to make room for some old DOS games...

...I deleted NortonAntiVirus(instead of uninstalling it) and some how deleted SYSTEM.INI....

Jesus....H...Christ...

...the thing acted possesed...restarting randomly and crashing..and...and...

:compcry:

Fortunately for me, my dad was able to make it stable (eneogh) again for typing, but never for games or anything requiring more then only a bit of memory use...
...now I have a new "typing" computer. I had CMI and EFMI and GhostMaster on it, but smart man, my dad, he took them off after Xmas break...*sobs*
 Crow_Nest
02-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Kinda tough to do a scan when he can't get into windows :rolleyes:

Hey i said that because i proberly wasnt paying attention. :D :o
 Sivy
02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
you can start windows in safe mode by pressing the F7 key (or maybe F5?? can;t remember which) at start-up. then once in safe mode you can replace the corrupted boot screen files with the original ones from the XP CD.

when replacing the start-up/ shut-down screens, you should always back-up the originals just in case.
 Datheus
02-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I had a nightmare last night that I did the same thing to my computer. :indif:

Seriously.

But yeah, were you able to get as far as the Windows boot options to choose "Last Known Good"? Even then I think you'd be able to replace whatever file it is that boot screens edit...
 Astrotoy7
02-13-2004, 2:47 PM
Originally posted by Siv
you can start windows in safe mode by pressing the F7 key (or maybe F5?? can;t remember which) at start-up. then once in safe mode you can replace the corrupted boot screen files with the original ones from the XP CD.

when replacing the start-up/ shut-down screens, you should always back-up the originals just in case.

Yeah, good ole safe mode, I was just about to suggest that! then you can uninstall that damn program. I did, I'll stick with my plain ole silver scheme and be done with it too.

HOWEVER, before you uninstall style XP, make sure you go into it and set it back to "default" this should put back your proper screens....

hope that works for you man !

MTFBWYA
Page: 1 of 1