Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Forget about the Grammys - *your* 'best music of 2003'

Page: 1 of 1
 txa1265
02-12-2004, 12:12 PM
I pay little attention to what the entertainment industry describes as the 'best', but I do tend to look back each year and think about what I did and did not like. What surprised me, what disappointed me ... hidden treasures, wastes of cash.

So why don't we do a list. Here are some guidelines:

- Format: Artist - Title - Genre / sub-genre (no cop outs here - )
- Specify if you're doing a song rather than a full album (oops ... disc ... showing my age again ;) )
- Add an opinion if you would like to.
- Order the list or not.
- 5 would be nice, but whatever you want.
- Here's a challenge - one per sub-genre only (one per main genre is too much to ask)
- Special categories are fun - best new artist, biggest surprise, whatever.
- Music only - videos are not music - they are video.

Let's have some fun!

Mike
 txa1265
02-12-2004, 12:12 PM
OK, I'll Start:

1. Jeff Beck - Jeff - Rock / Instrumental
Why? Jeff Beck is unique amongst his peer group of 60-ish British invasion rockers in that he remains at least competent. Further, he is unique, in my opinion, amonst any rockers who were active when Star Wars out in that he is vibrant, relevant and innovative. He maintains his considerable chops, but delivers much more edge and emotion in his phrasing than most of the current crop of VanHalen / Steve Vai based note flaying technicians. His latest - the third in his newest foray - is tight and strong, many good songs bringing in elements of techno and hip-hop and twisting them into his own breed of instrumental rock.

2. John Scofield - Up All Night - Jazz / Fusion
Why? I loved John Scofield since I discovered him by his association with bassist Steve Swallow in 1981 - well before he joined up with Miles. I really enjoyed his stuff through the mid-80's, but then something happened. I don't know, I just didn't connect much. I'd still buy the occasional CD, but it just wasn't the same. When he and the Pat Metheny Group put out CD's at almost the same time in 2002 I grabbed both, not expecting much from Scofield's UberJam ... boy was I wrong. What a great CD! It just connected with me - edgy and relevent and innovative. I didn't expect a new CD for while - his pseudo-mainstream Jazz group put out a CD in January 2003. So I was doubly surprised by Up All Night - it was another great CD ... and an unexpected surprise.

3. Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night - Jazz / New Age
Why? Pat Metheny has joined the upper echelons of 'all-time greats' on guitar. And he is also a great composer with a broad range. And a fantastic music producer. Take those skills, give the guy a 10-string 'baritone' guitar, and just sit back and enjoy. This CD touches a very special place - one he hit before with New Chataqua. Great stuff.

4. Dave Holland Quintet - Extended Play Live at Birdland - Jazz / Acoustic
Why? They say you only need listen to know why this is the best working jazz group going today. I didn't pay much attention to that ... then I heard a song from this CD on the way to work one day. At lunch I went out and bought it ... and listened to it on my iPod on the way home. It is 'acoustic' jazz, but it draws from much more than just mainstream jazz - avante garde elements are well represented, as well as funk and other forms. It is just darn good stuff.

5. Wayne Shorter - Alegria - Jazz / Acoustic
Why? I never bought a Wayne Shorter CD before ... I got a Weather Report CD years ago but traded it away. Like the Dave Holland, I didn't go looking for this one ... but now it finds it way to playtime on my iPod frequently. Shorter is not just rehashing old tunes in an old style like too many others - his CD is fresh and really says something.

Specials:
- Box Set - Jaco Pastorius - Anthology - Jazz / Fusion
Why? Jaco is the greatest bassist of all time - or at least in the top 3 but certainly the most influential. This 2-CD collection cuts through his early days right up to the recordings before he was beaten to death in a drunken stupor at 35 ... it just captures everything I want to listen to from him.
- Reissue - Art Ensemble of Chicago - Reese & The Smooth Ones - Jazz / Avante Garde
Why? It starts out sounding like a song ... then stuff starts happening. But there is humor and pathos throughout ... and these guys aren't pretentious in any way - it is about fun and joy. My tape of this broke years ago ... boy I just couldn't wait for this when I heard about it ...

That's all for now ...

Mike
 •-BLaCKouT-•
02-12-2004, 1:43 PM
My faves of 2003 would be:

The Darkness - Permission to Land
Electric Six - Fire
Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
Dido - Life for Rent
Slayer - God Hates Us All

No real reasons as such, they were just my top 5 of the year :D

B.
 Pie™
02-12-2004, 1:52 PM
I really havent bought a lot of new cds this year, but my faves would be;

Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
Turbonegro - Scandinavian Leather
Linkin Park - Meteora
Howard Shore - RotK Soundtrack

Then you have Metallica - St Anger, which was the years, if not the decade's, biggest disappointment :(
 txa1265
02-13-2004, 8:50 AM
What kinds of music is all of that - Iron Maiden of course I remember from the 70's ... are they still alive? Limp Bizkit is one of those rap-metal things, right? And wasn't Slayer one of those generic 'hair' bands of the late 80's / early 90's?

Mike
 Datheus
02-13-2004, 9:55 AM
A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step - Rock

Certainly not one of the best albums I've ever heard, and perhaps not the most innovated, but I love it because of Maynard's writing. (Patiently waiting for the next Tool album. *crosses fingers for a summer recording session*) In the end, it's not an album that would blow a person away, but it's certainly above par.

I think that's the only album I bought last year that was from 2003. Well, I did buy a few more. I bought mostly horrible, terrible CDs. (Staind: 14 Shades of Gray, Metallica: St. Anger. Both are absolutely miserable.)
 Herminator
02-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
What kinds of music is all of that - Iron Maiden of course I remember from the 70's ... are they still alive? Limp Bizkit is one of those rap-metal things, right? And wasn't Slayer one of those generic 'hair' bands of the late 80's / early 90's?

Mike

Mike! your age is showing, hide it quick!!

...what?
 Datheus
02-13-2004, 10:14 AM
I prefer to call it his "refined taste".
 toms
02-13-2004, 10:49 AM
erm

Muse - Absolution (album) : Er.. Radiohead meets prog rock?
Awesome album by muse. I have always thought their other albums had potential, but tended to veer too much into cheesy prog rock balads in places. This one keeps it under control and i guess you could call it queen meets radiohead.
Time Is Running Out is an awesome song.

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain (EP) : Er, classical trance?
Ok, few years onl now so not up for an award, but i think it is excellent. My mates had their first dance at their wedding to the title track and it ruled.

Snow Patrol - Run (single): winey, moving brit rock
I haven't heard anything elso off their new album, but this song rocks. Well, not rocks, but it is oneof those moving songs that builds up and grows on you. I thought their last album was dull, but this song is awesome.

Foo Fighters - One By One (album): grunge
The first half of this album is great, grungy rock. Much better than all the crummy nu-metal wannabees. It looses it a bit at the end though.

Katie Muela - Call off the search (album): folk/jazz femal singer
Only listened to this a few times but i liked it a lot, it was like Nora Jones but with more of an edge.

Nirvana - Know Your Right (single): grunge
Still sound better than most bands that are alive

White Stripes - Seven Nation Army (single): punk
I found elephant a bit dissappointing, but this song was great, and had the catchyest bass line of the year

Mad World - Gary Jules (single): acoustic
Great, moving song from an interesting film

Nelly Furtado - Try (single): female solo
Heard her second album was a big dissappoinment, but i have heard this song and i think it is pretty cool.

The Darkness - Thing called love (single): prog rock
I found the album fairly uninspiring and repetetive, but this single is a great, catchy, fun rock song.

thats all i can think of for now...
 Pie™
02-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Iron Maiden of course I remember from the 70's ... are they still alive?

Mike Still going, yes ;)
Their new album is said to be one of the best :D

Oh, and Metallica released their first album in 1983, so you might have heard of them too :xp:

:p
 BongoBob
02-13-2004, 12:37 PM
1)TIE!

Linkin Park:Meteora - Rock/Rap
This was hands down my fav cd of 03. I listen to it almost every day. The lyrics are great, and the beats are just, UH! A PERFECT ALBUM I SAY!

Billy Talent:Billy Talent - Rock
This band can write. This cd has in my oppinion, the best lyrics I have ever heard in a while. Since Meteora. And just, UH! ANOTHER PERFECT ALBUM!

These two cds dropped my jaw.
 toms
02-13-2004, 1:32 PM
don't you mean

Linkin Park:Meteora - Teeny Pop

??????:confused:

I might check out billy talent as the haven't made a name over here...
 •-BLaCKouT-•
02-13-2004, 1:44 PM
And wasn't Slayer one of those generic 'hair' bands of the late 80's / early 90's?
:xp: A few years ago I'd have been annoyed by that comment - but here I am laughing my ass off!!
Obviously I don't expect everyone to know who Slayer are, seriously. But one thing's for sure - they ain't a 'hair' band (IE Bon Jovi, Europe, Motley Crue etc). They have hair, but the similarity ends there ;) Unless of course you count anything metal as 'hair'.

Their first album was in '83 and they're the only old-school thrash band (IMHO) to never have changed their music for commercial reasons. Never toned down - never self-censored - always been as brutal as possible :evil1:

Slayer, my friend, are about as pure metal as you're gonna get.

Oh, and I believe Iron Maiden formed in '79, but I'm not sure if you'd class that as remembering them from the 70's ;)

As for genres:
The Darkness - Retro Prog Rock/Metal
Electric Six - Disco Metal
Kings of Leon - Retro rock
Dido - Female Solo arist
Slayer - see above ;)

:D B.
 Rogue Nine
02-13-2004, 2:06 PM
Blar. I'll cave.

1. The Darkness - Permission To Land - Rock
They sound like Queen, only Justin Hawkins isn't riddled with STDs like poor Freddy Mercury was. Great mix of loud, brash 80's-ish rock with some heartfelt love songs sprinkled in. Good stuff, even for someone who didn't particularly enjoy the 80's.

2. A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step - Rock
I've been waiting for another Circle album ever since Mer De Noms, and they certainly didn't disappoint. While I don't like every song on the album, there are certainly enough on there to make it a worthwhile CD to buy. Not smashing, but a lot better than most of the crap out there right now.

3. Michelle Branch - Hotel Paper - Pop/Rock
Hey, the girl can sing. She writes her own songs, plays her own instruments, is quite a looker, and has a helluva voice to go along with all that. What's not to like? She may be getting a tad too mainstream, but I usually like the songs that aren't popular anyway.

4. Klaus Badelt - Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack - Instrumental
Ever since I saw the movie, the music hooked me. The music goes along extremely well with the scenes and perfectly captures the feel of what it was like to be a pirate. I've come to expect this kind of superb work from Hans Zimmer's collaborator on the Gladiator soundtrack.

5. Yuki Kajiura - Fiction - Pop/New Age
I wouldn't expect anyone to have heard of Yuki Kajiura (except for Phreak, of course) but she put out this album in 2003 and I immediately snatched it off the shelves. It's a collection of some of her best work off the many different series she's worked on and produced music for, Noir and .hack//SIGN being the most prominent examples.
 Neverhoodian
02-13-2004, 2:12 PM
Well, I'm not a person who buys many music CD's, so I only have three:

Howard Shore-RotK Soundtrack
Klaus Badelt, (composer) Blake Neely (conductor) and Hans Zimmer (producer)-Pirates of the Carribean (sp?) Soundtrack

There's one CD that I'm suprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet:

Matt and Mike Chapman- Strong Bad Sings
Genre-ummmmmmmmmmmm...heavy metal and folk music?

Seriously, though, it's so funny that it's actually cool! All of your favorite Strong Bad tunes are on there (such as Trogdor and You've Got an Ugly and Stupid Butt) including some new ones! You can get it from their store at www.homestarrunner.com)
 txa1265
02-13-2004, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
Oh, and Metallica released their first album in 1983, so you might have heard of them too :xp:

:p Was it only 83? Wow ... the drummer in the band I played in was really into speed metal ... I remember listening to a Metallica album (yes, album) - no clue what they were singing about, but it was fast and tight and it rocked.

Mike
 txa1265
02-13-2004, 3:16 PM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
:xp: A few years ago I'd have been annoyed by that comment - but here I am laughing my ass off!!
Obviously I don't expect everyone to know who Slayer are, seriously. I think I was mistaking them for Poison ... I think that same drummer friend I mentioned was into Slayer as well - or maybe the guitarist from the metal band I knew in high school (neat note - he was in VH's Panama video - in the pseudo slo-mo shot there's a curly haired guy pumping his fist - that's him)

Nice to see the diversity of stuff ...

Mike
 Mike Windu
02-15-2004, 6:59 PM
50 cent-get rich or die trying(album)
The Darkness-I believe in a thing called love
Billy Talent-The Ex, Try Honesty
Yellowcard-Ocean Avenue(album)
Good Charlotte- Young and the Hopeless(album)

I didn't like Meteora as much, the lyrics where alright and the beats were mediocre and repetitive... Hybrid Theory had a better differention of rhythyms... too many times I noticed a uptempo beat and then slowed down into a little rap thing and then chorus and then continue...
Hybrid Theory had some songs start off strong and stay that way, some that didn't some acousitc, some not... which makes for a better album I think
 Rogue15
02-15-2004, 8:33 PM
Linkin Park -Meteora
Evanescence -Fallen
Payable on Death -P.O.D.
Life on Display -Puddle of Mudd
Ego War -Audio Bullys
 Miko Reglia
02-15-2004, 9:25 PM
In no particular order...

Alien Ant Farm - truANT
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (Re-Issue in SACD)
AFI - Sing the Sorrow
Rage Againt the Machine - Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium
 Darth Groovy
02-17-2004, 2:22 PM
Best Albums:

David Bowie - Reality
Ministry - Animositisomina
Sevendust - Seasons
Staind - 14 songs
Dido - Life For Rent
Hoobastank - The Reason

Best Songs: