Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cablenut- Internet Accelerator

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyrion
02-08-2004, 8:25 AM
http://www.cablenut.com/)

It's a program that does nothing but changes registry values to optimise your internet speed. You can load up pre-set values that they have created for different OS's and Connection speed (56k XP and Cable XP, or 56k 98 and Cable 98). You can even set your own values if you wanted.

I tested this out with my cable connection...and it seems to be working pretty well. I have cable, and webpages, including the swamp, seem to now load in 1 or 2 seconds(as opposed to 5, ten, or 15 seconds).

Try it out yourself, if you find out it doesnt work, it has a button to reset all the values back to default.
 ExcelsioN
02-08-2004, 8:41 AM
I've got an ADSL connection, and there's a small difference. Its noticable when I'm trying to go on Planet Battlefield.com (http://www.planetbattlefield.com)
 DarkLord60
02-08-2004, 2:41 PM
I've done this before it doesnt change much.
 Alegis
02-08-2004, 2:44 PM
oh yay; one of those "one button doubles your system performances things"...really, there is almost nothing to improve by just editing some entries in the registry..i've tried a lot though (like gamegain; no difference) but thiso ne seems to get a nice feedback at cnet.com, though this comment is pure bull****:

"Worked as stated"
My cable connection speed went from 400,000 kps to 2.2 meg "

about tweaking:
Tweaking may fix:

Slow download speeds
Download slower than upload speed
Skipping in TCP streaming video/audio
Blank web pages
Connection issues to some sites

Tweaking will not fix:

Packet loss
Multiplayer games over UDP
Your ping time
Regular PC freezes
Inherited hair loss
 BongoBob
02-08-2004, 9:26 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
Tweaking will not fix:
Inherited hair loss

You forgot erectile dysfunction, anal leakage, and overactive bladder.

:)
 edlib
02-09-2004, 12:01 AM
I've used it and thought I saw maybe a minor speed boost, but nothing large enough to quantify.

But it's a small program, stays out of the way, and apparently does no harm if not what it says, so I have no problem recommending it to people with an adventurous spirit and the desire to try to tweak a few more micro-cycles of performance out of thier CPU.
 Tyrion
02-09-2004, 1:18 AM
Semi-related, but there's also this website:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm)

It gives you tweaks on the difference Services Xp starts with, and tells you which one are important and which ones arent. So far I've gotten about 50 mbs of ram cleared up from disabling a few of the services.
 Datheus
02-09-2004, 1:26 AM
You know, when I hear about all of this tweak that and tweak this. I think it's a good idea. I think to myself, "Boy, I should go change a few imaginary digits so I can give myself a 0.1% preformance improvment!"

I then step back and look at my life objectively(read: logically) and think, "What the hell? What the **** is this ****? I'm going to go plant a tree."

Then I go and make the changes, eat a twinkie, and go to sleep.

Thanks for the links! :thumbsup:

Though, I don't intend to use the accelerator, 3000mbit down is good enough for me, thanks.

:-T-minus thirteen posts-:
 Tyrion
02-09-2004, 1:32 AM
Originally posted by Datheus
You know, when I hear about all of this tweak that and tweak this. I think it's a good idea. I think to myself, "Boy, I should go change a few imaginary digits so I can give myself a 0.1% preformance improvment!"

I then step back and look at my life objectively(read: logically) and think, "What the hell? What the **** is this ****? I'm going to go plant a tree."

Then I go and make the changes, eat a twinkie, and go to sleep.

Pretty much the same way. It'll be obsolete in oh..3 months if lucky, but to hell with it, let's do it! :thumbsup:
Page: 1 of 1