Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: The Tournament - SP

Page: 1 of 1
 Kengo
02-07-2004, 2:21 PM
An idea I've had in my head for a while now, and what with the duel mapping contest getting me into making a duel map, I thought I'd take advantage of this opportunity to work on this SP project.

I'm not sure what to call this tournament yet, and so its 'The Tournament' as a working title for now. Suggestions welcome. The idea is a combination of Duel (but for SP), Ladder and Tournament based games and films like Street Fighter II (the game), Mortal Kombat or Blood Sport say. When I was younger, I used to love inventing characters for my own beat em up. Now I've decided I'll make something like this in JA.

You choose your character, then you join a lightsaber tournament, the most famed in the Galaxy. All the greatest saberists compete here in honourable, non-lethal contests, where force powers are not allowed, to find the greatest. This years contest will be rather an unusual one, some contestants have very different agendas....

There will be several arenas, basically duel maps. I am thinking probably three, but I might make a few more. Here is the first, the ruins...

http://blargh.mine.nu/test/182/8.jpg)

Cutscenes and voice acting will be in evidence to help tell the story, but the main focus will be the saber fighting. My aim is to create something that combines the enjoyment of a good one on one saber fight with a storyline, and some of the enjoyable elements from ladder maps too. I guess I want this to be an SP beat em up in the classic sense, for JA.

I am not sure where I will go with the skins yet, there are many good ones with JA. I may look around to use a few other people's with permission, but we'll see!

Oh, and Team Corellia Part 2 is also underway, the script is done and has been sent to the voice actors.
 Neverhoodian
02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't know why no one else hasn't said anything about this, but I'm certainly hyped! I've always been a fan of SP levels. It looks promising already. I eagerly await its completion!:)
 Kengo
02-11-2004, 1:11 PM
Thanks man :)

It's probabaly the way anything I work on tends to take 5 or 6 times longer to get finished than I originally planned, people are thinking this will be out sometime in late 2006 and aren't going to be getting too excited! Still, I am planning to finish this up quite quickly, so it shouldn't be more than a few months in development hopefully (with the aid of Kal Ela dn LJs NPC tool!) This is aimed to fill the current lack of combat-heavy SP maps for JA (or infact, any SP maps for JA, there are only 2 so far!) without being a Ladder level and getting me a load of abuse :D
 Prime
02-11-2004, 4:25 PM
Awesome work as usual, buddy :) I'm really looking forward to this as well...
 ZBomber
02-21-2004, 2:40 AM
Reminds me of that dueling part in KOTOR. Can't wait. :)
 Alegis
02-21-2004, 7:17 AM
Yeah I could use another ladder type SP missions :) the best of luck to you, something i will definitely play

thank god for SP additions, it was too short IMO
 lassev
02-21-2004, 8:25 AM
Yes, yes, I'm certainly also waiting for this... So that I can review it!

Based on Team Corellia Part 1, I judge Kengo has made great progress in patience, considering how much time he is ready to allot to detailing and texturing his maps. Thus, I expect to see nice architecture in this map, hopefully also good cinematics, especially camera work, because that's what I think Kengo handles truly well, not to mention the actual manuscript, if he actually makes this ladder style campaign to follow such.
 Kengo
02-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks a lot guys, very kind remarks Lassev :)

I might actually submit the arena for the main tournament to the Levelsource Duel Tournament - I started it after the start date at the same time as my other duel map, and unlike my originally intended entry...its nearly finished!

Having some big delays with some of the voice actors for Team Corellia. so this gives me something else to work on. But in fairness, I'm rather snowed under with work myself.

I'll start posting some character Bios at somepoint, they always prove popular...

:mob:
 Zappa_0
02-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Really nice map Kengo, I dont see why you dont wanna release it. I think you will get nothing but good remarks from it. But it is your choice and your choice along.
 shukrallah
02-26-2004, 2:19 PM
Sort of reminds me of Quake 3... kind of. A big tournament, things like that :) sounds great :D And the SN looks good too. Cant wait to see more of it :D
 Kengo
05-13-2004, 10:41 PM

And out of nowhere, its finished!

http://www.pcgamemods.com/5302/)

I don't exactly remember why I decided to have a go at finishing this, probabaly the mistaken belief that there wasn't much more to do. How wrong I was. Anyway, with a massive amount of help from LJ, GothiX and Rgoer I finally managed to get it finished.

I would describe this as a ladder level with a tournament format. The testing level gives you the chance to take out a bunch of fairly easy opponents, then the tournament phase has you fighting one on one against varying opponents.
 Prime
05-15-2004, 4:17 PM
Sweet!

I'm so glad you finished this, Kengo. I've been waiting... :)

Clicks to download
Page: 1 of 1