Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Black Map Models - Lighting?

Page: 1 of 1
 monsoontide
02-07-2004, 3:51 AM
Hey ho!

Anyone know a solution for fixing the lighting on md3 map models that appear black in-game (multoplayer) - but when you shine your lightsaber on them, you can see that the textures are all there.
What gives?
 lauser
02-07-2004, 7:11 AM
Wow Monsoon I thought you would have known this answer. I would like to know too. I bet rgoer knows the answer.

"color" constantLight color
"light" constantLight radius

What exactly do these functions do to entities? Can I use these for the solution to Monsoons question? I have tried before with a VALUE of 1. Thinking maybe that 1 would enable the feature but no luck so far. Even when you put a light beside the model it's still black. L J?? Solution? Wedge? Wade?
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Grab the latest version of q3map2 from shaderlab (http://shaderlab.com/). Set your misc_model entities to have the "spawnflags" "4" key/value pairs. Compile your map with your new q3map2. The number 4 spawnflag enables auto-lightmapping of misc_model entities. You can combine it with the number 2 spawnflag (autoclipping) by giving your misc_model "spawnflags" "6" -- I wouldn't, however, recommend that you use autoclipping unless you really, really, really have to. It can hurt performance (autoclipping creates a whole lot more clip brushes than you would if you clipped your model by hand)...
 WadeV1589
02-07-2004, 11:19 AM
spawnflags 4 also enables meta triangulation on the model which can help FPS

Oh and to reiterate what was just said but in a far clearer way DO NOT USE AUTO-CLIPPING OF MODELS UNLESS THEY ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY SIMPLE SHAPES!

Modelled terrain, large ships and so on are good examples of when to use it; plants, lamps, small statues are good examples of when [i]not[/n] to use it.
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 11:23 AM
There's no "also" about it... that's what the number 4 spawnflag is. It adds q3map_forceMeta to every shader used by the misc_model in question, which, in turn, enables lightmapping.
 WadeV1589
02-07-2004, 11:28 AM
No need to get sharp.

Yes there is a very clear reason to use 'also' as you said it enables lightmapping and I said "also forcemeta"...believe it or not meta triangulation is not lightmapping! I know you know this...my point is just because one leads to another doesn't mean you can scrap saying one.

Petrol leads to a car moving...but if you don't tell people about the petrol, how they gonna get the car moving?
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 11:30 AM
whatever, bro, cheers
 wedge2211
02-07-2004, 2:29 PM
Hey--I've tried adding spawnflags 4 to a misc_model, and I still got a black skin. I'll have to check my version of q3map2, but I think it's up-to-date. Huh.
 monsoontide
02-07-2004, 3:14 PM
Will try it out and get back to you on the results.
 Usurpo
02-07-2004, 9:26 PM
I have this same exact problems! On my models, I set the spawnflags to 4, and nothing happened! ARAGH!:firehead
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 9:36 PM
Try looking through this thread (http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/027214.html) and see if this fits your problem.
 WadeV1589
02-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Some models were designed with specific shaders that only work well in SP due to their lighting. You can copy the shader, fix it and use _remap in a model however to use your new, working, shader.
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 10:27 PM
BTW, _remap keys work like this: key "_remap<N>" value "path/to/oldshader;path/to/fixedshader" (where <N> is a chosen value used to differentiate your various remappings).

So fix the shaders for your model (nuke all SP-specific stuff), save them somewhere different from the original (so you don't bork or get borked by pak0.pk3), then _remap your model to the working version.

Then apply "spawnflags" "4" lather, rinse, and repeat.
 lauser
02-07-2004, 11:39 PM
rgoer, I don't see your name in RANDYs README...how come? LOL..j/k.

PS: I've NEVER autoclipped. Useless feature to me when I can make my own clip with just a minimum of brushes.
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 11:48 PM
;^) "...Thanks to pjw, rgoer and Zer0-l0gic for their help with this release..." (http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=6319)
 lauser
02-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Oh!! Well that's cool at least you got credit somewhere. :D

He fixed the ASE loader!! WOOT!!:D
 Torchy
02-08-2004, 6:07 PM
you wanna use a model with a _b prefix cause it will use a shader with rgbgen vertex instead of lightingdiffuse (which causes black models with the advanced shaders option turned off) or just do what rgoer said and make a new shader with rgbgen vertex
 wedge2211
02-09-2004, 2:04 AM
So...you can fix black models by adding the -rename switch to the BSP phase? I'm a little confused.
 rgoer
02-09-2004, 5:27 AM
This thread (http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=3912) breaks it down pretty clearly (toward the end).
 monsoontide
02-10-2004, 3:15 PM
While I'm sure you can do all that.
A MUCH simple solution I have discovered with help from
Ford Dye at Raven, is simply to change the misc_model to a misc_model_static and viola!
The shaders all show up properly!
Hooray! :D

Thanks for all the ideas though. I'm ceertain they'll help somewhere.
 wedge2211
02-10-2004, 3:30 PM
Huh...I remember for some reason shying away from misc_model_statics in MP maps...but I'll give it a shot. I like simple solutions, thanks!
 monsoontide
02-10-2004, 5:53 PM
My other thought on this is to first place the model as a misc_model and position it and put clip brush around it - then turn it into a misc_model_static (Since these only show up as entity boxes in Radiant).
 shukrallah
02-14-2004, 2:06 AM
Raven used misc_model_breakable in there SP maps (i know its MP) misc_model_breakable gives the same effect, although not available in MP right? Also, make sure you have your / right (it was "/" right, and not "\"?) because if you dont, it will not load up right... or your map wont start, and a bunch of other crap (unless its my pc)
Page: 1 of 1