Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will the Star Wars Legacy Fade???

Page: 1 of 1
 urluckyday
02-05-2004, 1:55 PM
Hello! I have a question to ask all you! I'm just asking your opinions!
Do you think that the Star Wars legacy will fade after the last movie is made. I know that it won't right away, but in like maybe 40 years, don't you think people will forget about, or will they just get some new director to make more. Well thanks for all your replies!:jawa

I say keep the legacy goin! Spread the word, Star Wars is in!!
 Lynk Former
02-05-2004, 2:15 PM
People will try to keep the flag raised and going but eventually Star Wars-mania wil die. Bigger and better things have and will take its place and it will and has already been seen by others as an old classic. The Prequals movies never made quite the same impact the Original Trilogy did. Episode 3 will be pretty kewl and all, we'll see a lot of people try to drag out the SW lifespan even further but all good things must come to an end... before it gets old and tiring and overused and raped... you know what i mean :dozey:
 Sivy
02-05-2004, 2:32 PM
well the OT is still popular after 27 years, whether or not the prequels will make it last another 27 years remains to be seen.
but there will be more games and books to keep it going for awhile.
 urluckyday
02-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Sadly enough I have to agree with Lynkformer, and say that the series will probably die. I fear for that day when it comes. If it does fail, several people will be lost in the mix as losers who still like the old Star Wars...Sadly enough...the series will fade away to become just another movie.
:( :jawa
 Darth Homer
02-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Movies can live on, as evidenced by such movies as Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz. Truly great movies will live in our memories and may eventually be the kind of niche markets that each of the classics I mentioned are today. They won't be as big or as popular, but will still have a place in our collective history and culture.

Wow, that was kinda eloquent. I do hope the universe is opened to other people who want to create movies using the SW theme, but with all new characters and locations (and all scripts must get the GL Seal of Approval).
 Snafu7
02-06-2004, 12:23 AM
It will eventually die down, because younger kids then will find it corny, or sumthing, but to some people it wont
 Jedi_Vogel
02-06-2004, 10:17 AM
What goes up must come down. But those who took the time to read more into what was behind SW will remember it and videos/dvds will be passed down a few generations.

I tend to agree that a better series will probably take its place as the forerunner (I reckon the Matrix got pretty darned close) but I don't think it will ever be completely forgotten.

...or rather I hope it won't.
 Lynk Former
02-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Does Gone with the Wind have a active fanbase like SW? I'm saying one day SW will be reduced to an old classic level and will still be liked, but will be one of those movies set aside cause it's been seen so many times.
 Jedi_Monk
02-07-2004, 3:36 PM
Like Darth Homer said, great movies can live on, and Star Wars is a great movie, all six chapters of it. Star Wars revolutionized film making, and that's just stating the obvious. Before Star Wars, sci-fi was just for kids, meaning without Lucas, you wouldn't have your Matrix or Alien movies.

The technological achievement of Star Wars alone is enough to get it remembered in film texts for as long as the medium survives or is discussed.
 DarkLord60
02-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
People will try to keep the flag raised and going but eventually Star Wars-mania wil die. Bigger and better things have and will take its place and it will and has already been seen by others as an old classic. The Prequals movies never made quite the same impact the Original Trilogy did. Episode 3 will be pretty kewl and all, we'll see a lot of people try to drag out the SW lifespan even further but all good things must come to an end... before it gets old and tiring and overused and raped... you know what i mean :dozey:

I hate to say it I am going to have to agree because I just don't think a movie series will make it another 20 years I mean 40 year old movie!
 Glaive v.1
02-18-2004, 8:51 AM
i think that the star wars mania will die down but i don't think it will ever completly die. As long as there are geeks in the world there will be a star wars...well thats my opinon.

long live star wars yeh
 leXX
02-18-2004, 5:07 PM
I was still obsessed with Star Wars after Return of the Jedi, and I will still be obsessed after Ep3. The hype from the prequel trilogy and new games such as KotOR will die down eventually, but there will still be dedicated fans such as myself out there, still playing the games and reading the comics and collecting the toys. Long live Star Wars!
 dark jedi 8
02-18-2004, 8:29 PM
as long as we pass the knowledge of starwars to the next generation and so on it has a chance. plus gone with the wind did not have the internet to keep a fanbase, but their are still people that like it. I hope one of lucas' kids or lucas himself will approve of others continuing his story one day...
 Glaive v.1
02-19-2004, 6:51 AM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
as long as we pass the knowledge of starwars to the next generation and so on it has a chance. plus gone with the wind did not have the internet to keep a fanbase, but their are still people that like it. I hope one of lucas' kids or lucas himself will approve of others continuing his story one day...

true that!
 Lynk Former
02-19-2004, 1:24 PM
let's ask this question then... how many teenagers today listen to 50s music?

think about it.
 Glaive v.1
02-19-2004, 5:02 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
let's ask this question then... how many teenagers today listen to 50s music?

think about it.

i listen to 70s music like led zepplin
 dark jedi 8
02-19-2004, 9:39 PM
and i still watch old war movies and westerns from the 60's and 50's- John wayne was awesome!
 Darth Rythe
02-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by legowar
Hello! I have a question to ask all you! I'm just asking your opinions!
Do you think that the Star Wars legacy will fade after the last movie is made. I know that it won't right away, but in like maybe 40 years, don't you think people will forget about, or will they just get some new director to make more. Well thanks for all your replies!:jawa

I say keep the legacy goin! Spread the word, Star Wars is in!!

Are you drunk or something?
Of cause it wont, well it better not!!!!
 Taos
02-20-2004, 6:38 AM
Originally posted by leXX
I was still obsessed with Star Wars after Return of the Jedi, and I will still be obsessed after Ep3. The hype from the prequel trilogy and new games such as KotOR will die down eventually, but there will still be dedicated fans such as myself out there, still playing the games and reading the comics and collecting the toys. Long live Star Wars!

I couldn't agree more. ;)

I grew up with these movies and I continue to enjoy them tremendously. They have had an effect on my life...though I'm not sure yet if it's a good one or bad one lol. I'll be watching the movies 40 years from now.
 Feanaro
02-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Think of it this way. I was a fan after it had been out for 15 years! Perhaps that will happen with the prequals?
 lukeiamyourdad
02-27-2004, 1:49 AM
I highly doubt the prequels will live as long as the OT. They won't. But be sure that my kids will be watching these movies and playing SW video games as part of their education :p!
 Darth Exar Kun
02-27-2004, 2:06 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
I highly doubt the prequels will live as long as the OT. They won't. Bad movies usually dont
 Miko_lover
03-06-2004, 10:51 PM
It might die down till they remake the original trilogy...
 sosus
03-09-2004, 12:57 PM
capitalism will find a way to keep it alive
 Glaive v.1
03-09-2004, 1:19 PM
well i had never seen star wars till the SE's came out and that was what got me hooked on star wars and i ain't looked back since. i'm definetly going to tell my kids about star wars and keep the universe alive
 DarksideDjembe
03-11-2004, 2:26 PM
Star wars will forever influence our culture. Whether or not the legacy continues with as much furver as is evident today is irrelevant, the original trilogy was revolutionary, and even though it may fade from memory the effects it has had on the movie industry and on our society will always be there. And as long as there are fans(i reckon i got another 60-70 years left) then THE LEGACY CONTINUES! STOP BEING SO PESSIMISTIC!
 Wanderer
03-24-2004, 9:47 AM
I say no! I'm a starwars fan for 27 years now:D
I think this wouldn't change the next 27 years....
 Lynk Former
03-24-2004, 10:23 AM
I think the question needs to be changed to "Will Star Wars become bigger than Jesus???"

XD lol
 Glaive v.1
03-24-2004, 10:26 AM
what it isn't already ? :D
 dark jedi 8
03-24-2004, 8:16 PM
maybe not jesus,(yet) but definately moses.:D

the bible keeps sending em up and GL keeps knocking them down.
 RoxStar
03-26-2004, 9:25 PM
If they create another trilogy in 30 years then it will be where it is now.
Page: 1 of 1