Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

sigh, this is really agrivating

Page: 1 of 1
 Ockniel
01-29-2004, 8:01 AM
ok, I know this is a REALLY REALLY big request, but can some one help me with my map by letting me send it to them?

The size of all the map stuff packed up is:
1.71 MB
The error Im getting is:

************ ERROR ************
MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY exceeded

And, Please, Ive posted alot of posts about this, so, please dont try to help me with that:)

I know its alot, but if someone could help it would be great.
 WadeV1589
01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Thread totally about it here:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121931)

Reference to it here:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121211)

More references here:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121502)

You posted here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120782) where I replied with the solution.

Then head over to gamingfiles to see more posts than you can be bothered to read about it. They all say the same 2 things, _blocksize and detail brushes.

You should be able to fix this yourself and as a matter of forcing this guy to learn I urge people to not volunteer to fix such a simple thing. If you're gonna learn to map you HAVE to fix this yourself. Harsh words I know but this isn't an error that requires 'l33t' skill to fix, just requires a bit of reading.

P.S. On these forums I only found that last link where you asked about this errror. Where have you asked so many times before?
 Ockniel
01-30-2004, 6:47 AM
Originally posted by ahnil8tor03
And, Please, Ive posted alot of posts about this, so, please dont try to help me with that:)

Ok, WadeV1598, thanks for trying to help me, but, like I said, ive been trying for a long time to do this, Ive been to all the sites suggested to me, but I cant get it to work, thats why Im asking someone to do it for me;)
 WadeV1589
01-30-2004, 10:58 AM
You can't type in the key into the worldspawn and you can't select a brush and then simply click "Make Detail"? Don't believe it for a second. To this date no-one who has been introduced to detail brushes has failed to do it...they've come across a few bumps along the way but no-one has failed it!
 lauser
01-30-2004, 2:11 PM
Now hang on Wade. He may be telling the truth. If that is the case then there is a problem with RADIANT. And I'm going to let you know right now....RADIANT does NOT work the same for everyone. It is by far NOT a perfect program. You may end up having to delete some portions of your map or maybe edit it in NOTEPAD. I will P/M you and have a look at your map then.
 WadeV1589
01-30-2004, 8:16 PM
max_map_visiblity is a compile error in the VIS stage put out by Q3Map2, it is a result of the vis data (which is created from the map...again by the compiler) being too big. The methods to fix it are increase the _blocksize in worldspawn...if he can't do it in radiant, open the file in notepad and type it in right at the top, hardly a problem is it? The other is making brushes detail. Radiant may be buggy for various people but the Make Detail function has never been buggy.

So his truth can only be as far as "I had a go at detailing....didn't go down well with me".

Yeah it's harsh, all of this, but for someone to say "hey I'm giving up and I want someone else to fix it for me"...there is no other reply. Once you've looked at his map do post about 2 things:
1) was the _blocksize increased?
2) were sufficient brushes detail?
If either answer is no, I rest my case.
 Ockniel
01-31-2004, 5:31 AM
ok dude, I did do the blocksize thing, and it bsp'd, but now ive made a few changes, and it wont work, the detail brushes, I dont understand, thats why im just asking someone to do it for me.

And, if I said ive done everything I can, Im not going to lie about that, if it were working, I wouldn't have posted this post now would I?
 WadeV1589
01-31-2004, 12:55 PM
In detailings simplest form...any brush that does not touch the void (also read as any brush that isn't part of the hull) can most likely be a detail brush. That's the place to start.

Then you expand to say if a brush isn't touching the void but it is a wall, say between 2 rooms, then that should be structural. Or a simple brush that is at least 3x the size of a player (it's a good estimate to work from).

It's far from the most efficient way but by doing detailing in that simplest way you'll get rid of the error and FPS should remain feasible.

The best example is this: imagine you mapped out your house, all the walls would be structural as they hold up your house and prevent you from seeing what's in other rooms, anything that was in each of the rooms, tables, beds, wardrobes, cupboards would all be details because they're there to make the house look better but serve no use to the structure of the house.
 Ockniel
02-07-2004, 2:37 AM
ok wade, I kinda figured out you thing, and I did it, but it still didnt work,

by the way, any luck with the map with you lauser?
 lauser
02-07-2004, 3:36 AM
You mean with my map or yours? Because you never sent me yours as far as I can tell...:confused:
 Ockniel
02-07-2004, 6:13 AM
what???

I sent it to the email you said to...

should I try again?

umm, check that email again, im gonna send it to you, again.
 lauser
02-07-2004, 7:14 AM
Okay I got it. I will have a look tomorrow and test it.
 rgoer
02-07-2004, 10:30 AM
MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY is (as others have pointed out) a compiler error. If you post your problem (with a detailed, but not over-verbose description) in either the official q3map2 support forum (http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewforum&f=8) or the q3w LEM forum (http://www.quake3world.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Level+Editing+|AMP|+Modeling&number=6), you will (possibly) get an answer from ydnar himself. At the very least, you will get an answer from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

I highly suggest you take a look at the sticky threads in the q3w LEM forum... they answer just about every question you could possibly ask (including stuff about MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY)...

[edit again]Post a log of the compiler output here, I might be able to tell you what's up. I'll tell you this right now, though: MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY is caused by q3map2 creating too much vis data (there is an upper limit of 4 MB for vis, iirc)... this usually happens when you have too much structural crap in your map. Are you getting the "over 90% structural map" warning when you compile?[/edit again]
 lauser
02-09-2004, 5:29 AM
At the very least, you will get an answer from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about.

Saw that coming from a mile away.
Anyhow what I did was I had ahnil8tor03 send me the map file so that I could ACTUALLY HELP him because I have the time to do so. I know there are many many people that have a lot more knowledge than I do regarding mapping even though the comment was maybe just thrown out there. So even if he goes to another site with ALL the information the person needs to help him fix a problem, I find that many times a mapper either gives up after frustaration or has to wait eons for the right info.

Another problem is this. Many VETERAN mappers post such advanced information regarding certain subjects that a new mapper MIGHT get confused easily. Why does this happen? I'm not too sure. But it MAY have something to do with the advanced mappers ASSUMING that this knowledge is COMMON knowledge. Just my thoughts. I think I was pretty careful with my wording. Take it as you will.
 Ockniel
02-10-2004, 11:51 AM
ok, thanks

I got that max_map_visibility fixed:D

but now I have this:

************ ERROR ************
MAX_TW_VERTS (12) exceeded

can anybody help? . . . Again?:)
 rgoer
02-10-2004, 4:10 PM
You have at least one brush with too many faces. This can happen (easily) if you go mad with the clipper trying to create complex rocks or some such. Just find brushes that have a lot of faces, and use the clipper to split them into multiple brushes, each with a relatively few number of faces per brush.
Page: 1 of 1