Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Luke's shock (EpV)

Page: 1 of 1
 MasterN64
01-24-2004, 12:29 PM
When i first watched Episode V and found out that Darth Vader was Luke's father it shocked me. But when he said "That's not true! That's impossible!)!!" the face he made made my roll on the floor and laugh. That was the most hilarious thing i had ever seen untill that point. Any1 else share this experience or close to it? (Not to make fun of Mark Hamil(Luke Skywalker) but that was pretty funny to me)
 keestuijp
01-24-2004, 8:27 PM
he looked like a rabbit. But he did use his voice well in that scene.:laughing:
 Boba Rhett
01-24-2004, 8:34 PM
I liked it. :)
 Lynk Former
01-24-2004, 11:34 PM
oh the legendary scrunched up face of misery, yup I remember XD
 JediNyt
01-25-2004, 12:58 AM
I thought Marks acting in that scene was perfect. :)
 Lynk Former
01-25-2004, 8:40 AM
It was, but you have to admit that face he makes is pretty funny out of context of the whole shock/horror thing XD
 Mike Casio
01-27-2004, 5:14 PM
Wait, Darth Vader is Luke's FATHER?!?!?! Thanks for ruining the whole thing for me, jerk! I've only seen the first two!!
 MasterN64
01-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Mike Casio
Wait, Darth Vader is Luke's FATHER?!?!?! Thanks for ruining the whole thing for me, jerk! I've only seen the first two!!

I'm sorry if you are serious but i did put the (EpV) sign in the title. So you should have known this was about Episode V. Not my fault. But i do blame myself for putting (EpV) instead of tag.
 BawBag™
01-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Best scene. Best movie. :)
 Sivy
01-28-2004, 11:55 AM
yeah luke's beaver face makes me laugh everytime.

he was lucky the wind didn't change and he stayed like it :D
 MasterN64
01-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Well thx for making me feel better Windu. anyway i am glad that a lot of other people laughed at this scene. Wether or not this was supposed to be funny i guess we will never know. I will try to get a pic of it sometime!
 Lynk Former
01-29-2004, 12:52 AM
That guy's probably one of the people who's only seen Episode 1 and 2.
 Jedi Luke
02-03-2004, 7:45 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
That guy's probably one of the people who's only seen Episode 1 and 2.

Yeah, newschool stuff. Not the oldschool stuff which was the best!!
 Revan1138
02-05-2004, 3:44 PM
I thought Mark's acting in that scene was perfect though out of context it does look pretty funny
 the_raven_03
03-02-2004, 12:33 AM
I think it is awesome.
 Jan Gaarni
03-02-2004, 2:08 PM
They need to remove him scream as he falls down. It's not like he got pushed off the ledge. :D

And to my memory, he didn't scream like that in the original, did he?

As for the acting, yes, looks alittle funny, but he did a damn fine job at it, my think. :D
 Lynk Former
03-02-2004, 6:21 PM
Plus it's the same scream used when Palpy is thrown off too. It's kinda cheap when you hear the same scream sound effect used for very different characters.
 toenail1
03-07-2004, 2:32 AM
s like the story of the Titanic. You know what happens.

WHAT?!?!?! what happened to the titanic (while you're at it, dont ruin the ending of any of the revolutionary or civil war, im still waiting to hear the ending)

*cough* heavy sarcasm *cough*
 dark jedi 8
03-07-2004, 6:26 PM
adding to what chase windu said, i remember hearing in an interview w/prowse that he was shocked to hear that vader was luke's father when he saw the movie. so i beleive it if he was told to say different. i thought luke's acting was probably at its best during that scene. even if his face looked funny.:cool:
 DarksideDjembe
03-11-2004, 1:17 PM
Haha great scene, im sure that dude mike was just messin around, everyones seen the OT. Which of course was better than the latest 2.
And lukes face is hilarious!
 Darth Exar Kun
03-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by DarksideDjembe
Haha great scene, im sure that dude mike was just messin around, everyones seen the OT. Which of course was better than the latest 2.
And lukes face is hilarious! ive seen power ranger episodes better then the prequels
 Lord Siraious
03-12-2004, 5:48 AM
Originally posted by Darth Exar Kun
ive seen power ranger episodes better then the prequels

Now, now, lets not get nasty, nothing and I mean NOTHING is worst than power rangers except Power Puff Girls!
 dark jedi 8
03-12-2004, 6:32 PM
at least power puff girls are animated. id hate to be an actor for power rangers and get into those gay tights. just an aweful concept that power rangers was.
 Commas
03-24-2004, 8:54 AM
man... i love the powerpuff girls...

but hands down the funniest scene in ep V is just before the vader cuts off lukes hand, its as they are fighting on that little bridge and vader is pushing luke back and there is this scene where vader puts the saber over his shoulder and swings it vertically and his whole upper body just lunges forward. he is supposed to be one of the greatest jedi ever, no doubt superb with a lightsaber, but that move just looks so cumbersome its hilarious! and then he cuts off lukes hand! how bad must luke suck with a lightsaber to lose a hand after that move?
 Darth Homer
03-25-2004, 7:36 PM
Well, you also have to remember, by that point he was "More machine than man" and just look at how threepio moves. I think that he was probably more mobile when younger, but the injuries he suffered caused a continuous decay of his motor abilities and body. The Emporer saw this and thus was looking to replace him with Luke.

Lucas has also said that in the OT, we had never seen a true jedi fight. So, we can assume from this that Vader was much better when he first became Palpatine's lap dog.
 Commas
03-28-2004, 8:29 AM
point taken, however, i must reiterate that your point just makes luke suck that much more. i mean your right he is "more machine than man" and decaying and all that other good stuff, but luke is a boy in the prime of life getting his hand cut off by a huge cumbersome vending machine that talks. luke sucks (wah i wanted go to tochi station and pick up some power converters wah im luke wah)

and besides no matter how right you may be, that scene is still hilarious and i bust up everytime.
 Rogue Thirteen
04-12-2004, 6:01 PM
I think that the scene in question was probably the most powerful in the series.

And the acting in it beats that scene in EP II after Anakin returns to Padme after slaughtering the Tusken Raiders, for believability anyway.

but hands down the funniest scene in ep V is just before the vader cuts off lukes hand, its as they are fighting on that little bridge and vader is pushing luke back and there is this scene where vader puts the saber over his shoulder and swings it vertically and his whole upper body just lunges forward. he is supposed to be one of the greatest jedi ever, no doubt superb with a lightsaber, but that move just looks so cumbersome its hilarious! and then he cuts off lukes hand! how bad must luke suck with a lightsaber to lose a hand after that move?

Vader might not be as agile as B4 he was burned, but lets not discount the advantages of size and power. He was probably not as schooled in the sabre art as Dooku was, but sometimes sheer brute force can be just as effective as speed and finesse. And Luke probably wasn't the greatest fighter at that stage of his training either.
 Johch Ai'oki
04-14-2004, 6:13 PM
I had always thought you would have worse than the dramatic girl-with-tears-sadness face if you never knew about your father and learned some evil, twisted, god-forsaken idiot from Hell (excuse my language towards Darth Vader. He's a good Sith Lord IMHO but I'm using examples) is actually your Father who's torturing your friends. That's what I believe. So I can understand Luke at that moment when Vader revealed the truth. And with Luke being mentally tortured by the Emperor and Vader (Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi) about the Rebellion losing (which didn't) and the friends'll be captured, tortured, and then dead (also which didn't happen as such), which is how I understand his hate mading him powerful in the end to kick Vader's butt and sever his mechanical hand.
 Isair
04-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Thirteen
I think that the scene in question was probably the most powerful in the series.

And the acting in it beats that scene in EP II after Anakin returns to Padme after slaughtering the Tusken Raiders, for believability anyway.

Vader might not be as agile as B4 he was burned, but lets not discount the advantages of size and power. He was probably not as schooled in the sabre art as Dooku was, but sometimes sheer brute force can be just as effective as speed and finesse. And Luke probably wasn't the greatest fighter at that stage of his training either.

Yeah in Return of The Jedi, Darth Vader probes Luke's mind and finds out about his sister, then tells him that if he will not join then perhaps his sister would. This naturally is enough to snap him and make him tap into the dark side. It is only until after he has brought down Vader that he realizes how terrible it is.
 Darth-Bane
05-03-2004, 10:56 AM
If your sister was threatened, dont you think that would make YOU angry too? :).
Assuming you had a sister that was nice, and hot. :D
:jawa:
 ronbrothers
05-04-2004, 2:46 AM
Originally posted by Mike Casio

That's got to be sarcasm. I don't believe you're sincere.
 Deeo
05-05-2004, 1:27 AM
I remember Luke making that face. Oh, man. It was the funniest thing I had seen. It was all scrunched up and... kinda disturbing actually. I wonder what Mark Hamill musta thunk about it after he saw the movie. Heh.
 Doomie
05-09-2004, 4:05 PM

you mean one and two or four and five? cause it's revealed in five.
 joesdomain
05-23-2004, 5:06 AM
I just loved his expression and his scream when he finally realizes. You just got to love his screaming when he falls down the cloud city.
Page: 1 of 1