Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What do the colours mean?

Page: 1 of 2
 guybroom
01-18-2004, 2:25 PM
Hi does any one have the meaning of the different colours of the lightsabres?

I thought that the blue were padawans, green for jedi masters and red for sith.

But then episode two comes and mucks up my brain! In the scene when Obi-Wan goes to Yoda, the kids have blue and green. Red has kept with sith but then a purple sabre comes into the equasion for Mace windu - what can this mean?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
 Jedi_Monk
01-18-2004, 3:21 PM
Green and Blue=good
Red=bad
Purple=Sam L. Jackson intimidates Lucas :p
 Lord Siraious
01-19-2004, 2:54 AM
The colors mean nothing! The saber color is dependant on the crystals used in the lightsaber.

All Sith have red blade because they create their crystals the same way.

Jedi find their crystals
 BawBag™
01-19-2004, 11:09 AM
I used to think blue=padawan to jedi and green=jedi master.
(As is Lukes transition)
But as long as it's not red your a good guy. Even though Vader's saber was clearly pink. :p
I also read that purple was once the sith colour...........
 guybroom
01-21-2004, 5:44 PM
Green and Blue=good
Red=bad
Purple=Sam L. Jackson intimidates Lucas

So except Samuel l. jackson who just wanted a purple one, there is no difference?

And what do the crystles do, just determin colour?
 Lord Siraious
01-22-2004, 5:23 AM
Originally posted by guybroom
And what do the crystles do, just determin colour?

and length.
 guybroom
01-23-2004, 7:48 PM
And where do they get the crystles from?

How are they made?

If a jedi had a red sabre would anyone care, considering that it is just the crystles that people get/make?

Are there only the 4 colour of sabre?
 lukeiamyourdad
01-25-2004, 5:50 PM
Well there are if you take EU in consideration. Yellow and Orange/Gold are also saber colors. I also heard that Exar Kun had a blue teal lightsaber.

The lightsaber color is like a symbol. Wait it is a symbol :p Anyway, you won't see any jewish guy with a swastika right? Same thing.
 guybroom
01-26-2004, 5:41 PM
What do jews and nazis got to do with a lightsaber!!!

So now we are back to the original question: What do the different colours of the lightsber mean???:confused:
 lukeiamyourdad
01-26-2004, 11:24 PM
What do jews and nazis got to do with a lightsaber!!!

It's a symbol. I'm just saying that a Jedi having a red lighsaber would be like a jew wearing the swastika. Get it?
 BawBag™
01-26-2004, 11:55 PM
It means Jedi use colours not related to danger or evil. ;)
 Lord Siraious
01-27-2004, 6:03 AM
And where do they get the crystles from?

How are they made?

If a jedi had a red sabre would anyone care, considering that it is just the crystles that people get/make?

Are there only the 4 colour of sabre?

Well I always include EU in my arguements that dont contradict the GL offical Universe.

Anyway in short it would not matter what color the lightsaber was to other Jedi. Leia has a crimson lightsaber for example and she isn't evil at all. HOWEVER if a Jedi used a Sith Crystal or a crystal that was created with the aid of the "darkside" it would be frowned apon and they may even be made to get rid of it or be expelled. As for the saber color well there can be endless possibilities as every crystal is different and make different colors. However I dont think that black would be possible or shades of it.

Usually Jedi find crystals to use by letting the Force guide them to the crystals.

As for how they are made I do not know but I have read somewhere (have to find the link) that they are created in furnaces. Appearently Luke created his crystals for his RotJ lightsaber.
 Ragnos
01-28-2004, 10:24 AM
In Knights of the Old Republic, the colors represent your jedi class:
Blue:jedi Guardian-consentrates more on lightsaber skills rather than the force(still uses the force though)

Yellow:Jedi Sentinell(maybe spelled wrong) Dont remember its description, i think it was the kind of jedi which focuses more on stealh, finding weaknesses in the oponents battle tecnique(somethin like that)

Green:Jedi Counselar-Uses the force more than the lightsaber,meditates and would rather try to turn someone to the lightside rather than to fight.

I might be wrong on the description on each class but it was something like that...
 Samnmax221
01-29-2004, 5:38 PM
If you listen to attack of the clones audio commentary lucass says green and blue are good red is bad thats just how it works
 Jedi Luke
02-06-2004, 6:46 AM
Originally posted by Samnmax221
If you listen to attack of the clones audio commentary lucass says green and blue are good red is bad thats just how it works

Exactly. Colours have nothing to do with Jedi Ranks. Just good or bad.
 guybroom
02-19-2004, 5:47 PM
Is red the only colour that a sith would have?
 dark jedi 8
02-19-2004, 9:17 PM
usually they pick sith crystals which are more destructable than the ones jedi use, i don't know if they are limited to red color or not. plus red just looks awesome!
 Glaive v.1
02-20-2004, 7:54 AM
I thought that the blue were padawans, green for jedi masters and red for sith.

thats how i always saw it. though when playing JA you have gold and purple sabres to
 Sabretooth
03-06-2004, 4:51 AM
I thought-

Blue-For Learners
Green-For Jedi/Jedi Knights
Orange-For Freelance Jedi
Purple-For Great Jedi (like Mace Windu)
Yellow-For Freelance/Great Jedi (In a picture of Yoda, the colours were all mixed up so I thought he held a yellow saber)

Then EP2 sorta broke this theory.
JK:JA destroyed it.
 Doomie
03-06-2004, 6:44 PM
actually, in Knights of the old republic Blue sabers are fighters,
Green sabers are force users and orange is in between.
but as you go adventuring you can alter the colour by inserting other crystals, including red and purple.
sith make artificial crystals for their sabers, and they always turn out to be red.
 toenail1
03-07-2004, 1:21 AM
i dont see how theres this much confusion over such a simple thing. its just dependant on what crystals they use.

the crystals also determine length, power, and so on
 Autobot Traitor
03-18-2004, 6:12 PM
Yea, and dont get me started on purple, orange and yellow- thats a whole other ballpark. You ought to try playing some kotor
 guybroom
03-18-2004, 7:05 PM
Yea, and dont get me started on purple, orange and yellow- thats a whole other ballpark. You ought to try playing some kotor

first of all: The whole thred is for all the colours. I know that i did not mention yellow when I started this, but i did not know there was even a yellow lightsaber. And also, I have played KOTOR. But I have got it VERY recnetly so I did not know about the other colours.

Speaking of KOTOR, the sith seem to have red lightsabers, but also some have purple - Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber and I don't think he's a sith (I have not seen Ep3) but what is going on there? Is there a change of traditions? What's going on!?
 dark jedi 8
03-18-2004, 7:12 PM
GL, or canon, says blue, green for good. red for bad, and purple as a favor to samual L. Jackson (mace).

as for E.U., any color is possible (except black) but i think GL should put some more colors in the movies.

KotOR just elaborated on what each color meant for each type of jedi for that time period and doesn't necesarily mean the current jedi council uses that system. plus i thought all sith in kotor had red sabers, i might be mistaken though. If they have purple sabers, they might just be the common dark jedi.
 Autobot Traitor
03-18-2004, 7:55 PM
Here's a quick run down of sabers and where they have been seen:

Good guys:

Green- Classic, New Trilogy, Expanded Universe,Games

Blue-Classic, New Trilogy, Expanded Universe,Games

Yellow-Expandd Uinversem, Games

Purple-New Trilogy (per Sam Jackson's request), Expanded Univers, Games

Orange-Only games to my knowledge

Bad guys:

Red- Wherever bad guys are seen.

Originaly, only green or blue are for jedi, but in AOTC Sam Jackson requested a different color (you can see this happening on the DVD) Yellow sabers were invented in the expanded universe and translated into games.

Thus far, orange to my knowlede has only been seen in the Jedi Knight games and KOTOR.

The color doesntr have any special significance. The idea is how ever, red is a more powerful type of crystal that can break thru other blades, this explains why Obi Wan's blade was so funky in ANH.

Hope this helps
 Autobot Traitor
03-18-2004, 7:57 PM
[i]Speaking of KOTOR, the sith seem to have red lightsabers, but also some have purple - Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber and I don't think he's a sith (I have not seen Ep3) but what is going on there? Is there a change of traditions? What's going on!? [/B]

BTW, I've beating KOTOR several times, where did you encounter purple saber sith?
 Darth Homer
03-24-2004, 1:14 AM
Here we go, from the Databank at www.starwars.com) comes:

The blade's color depends on the nature of the jewel it springs from, and while its length is fixed in the case of a single jewel lightsaber, lightsabers equipped with multiple crystals can have their length varied by rotating a knob that allows the focusing crystal activator to subtly modify the refraction pattern between the gems.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/lightsaber/?id=eu)

So, a jedi's saber color is solely dependant on the crystal the choose. Extrapolating on this, as long a Leia's saber crystal is natural and produces a crimson blade, there should be no problem. But, I would get a new crystal for mine if I were to remain a Jedi in good standing.

Unlike the Jedi, who use natural crystals mined from such worlds as Ossus in the Adega system, the Sith prefer synthetic crystals to generate their lightsaber blades. While the crystals are being forged in a blazing furnace, it is not uncommon for a Sith to reach out with the Force and manipulate the process, focusing his hatred for the Jedi to increase the potency of the crystals.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/sithlightsaber/?id=eu)

And a sith's crystal is artificial and infused with their hatred.
 guybroom
03-31-2004, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
BTW, I've beating KOTOR several times, where did you encounter purple saber sith?

I must have got it wrong thsn oops :o
 ET Warrior
03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by toenail1
the crystals also determine length, power, and so on

I never understood the power part. I've heard it many a time, and I just don't get it. Lightsabers cut through anything except other lightsabers (and cortosis ore) and the power of a swing is based on who is weilding it. What kind of power does a crystal add to a lightsaber?:confused:
 dark jedi 8
04-01-2004, 11:58 PM
the sith crystals are synthesized so they are naturally more powerful than the natural jedi crystals. but as far as more powerful goes i didn't hear about that until KOTOR was coming out to say the truth, so i assume that the power quality may have been added for a game value to increase HP. i may be wrong but thats what i assume.:cool:
 Jan Gaarni
04-02-2004, 6:13 AM
Originally posted by dark jedi 8
the sith crystals are synthesized so they are naturally more powerful than the natural jedi crystals. but as far as more powerful goes i didn't hear about that until KOTOR was coming out to say the truth, so i assume that the power quality may have been added for a game value to increase HP. i may be wrong but thats what i assume.:cool:
Yes, I believe you are right.

So the difference in power-output due to using a certain, I think, should largelly be ignored outside a game context.
 Johch Ai'oki
04-02-2004, 1:05 PM
(Hi all. I guess I'm the new guy here today.)

Didn't someone have a website completely detailed on lightsabre, from moves and techniques to the meanings of colors in big paragraph-ish detail? Because I remember going to it a few times as reference before. Made by someone named Hekx, I think...
 Sivy
04-02-2004, 1:19 PM
 Johch Ai'oki
04-02-2004, 2:47 PM
I know about that. That's more of who had what hilt and what did they look like and what blade color they were. That wasn't what I was looking for.
 ET Warrior
04-04-2004, 4:05 PM
In defense of whoever said dark jedi have purple lightsabers sometime in KOTOR, of the first set of 3 dark jedi I ran into on Kashyyk, one of them WAS weilding a purple lightsaber.
 guybroom
04-04-2004, 6:03 PM
Maby I was right about thge purple wilding sith, maby I wasn't...
 ET Warrior
04-04-2004, 6:57 PM
Maby I was right about thge purple wilding sith, maby I wasn't...

you were. I saw it.
 lukeiamyourdad
04-04-2004, 7:55 PM
Tatooine and Kashyyyk both have purple sabered Sith/Dark jedi.

I know I've played the game 12 times already...
 Johch Ai'oki
04-05-2004, 1:08 AM
KotOR, IMHO, is not official SW history 4,000 years B.B.Y. (Before the Battle of Yavin) because it intersects in many ways what was already established as SW history. Now, I dunno when the first synthesized crystals were made by Sith, but certainly not 4,000 years B.B.Y., not when Exar Kun wreaked havoc in the Galaxy with the first made Double-bladed Lightsaber, which is very much a rarity compared to KotOR. Darth _____ names of Sith Lords did not start until after the battle in Ruusan 1,000 years B.B.Y. where the Sith Lord Kaan and his Brotherhood of Darkness gone against Jedi Master Hoth and his Jedi army of Light had battled with great power (it's aftermath created the Valley of the Jedi, for Kyle Katarn to free the trapped souls in the valley). Now, if I remember correctly, most Sith Lords there had purple or mabye even some red lightsabers. Now, in the aftermath, there was one Sith Lord who escaped and ensured the survival of the Sith (and who had a completely unique name until now): Darth Bane. He started the code of one master, one apprentice to help the Sith survive in the shadows. Also, every Sith Lord after Bane was named "Darth _____". Now, KotOR had no special attention to SW history, so they replicated what Rick Berman did to his newest ST spinoff, and didn't give any care of what was established as history in any kind. It's not really what I like, but then it's in my nature to really get into what I'm interested in, which one or two of you might frown upon, but I don't care, I can't get anything from you through my thick skull. ;)
 lukeiamyourdad
04-05-2004, 1:23 AM
Bah, It's all a load of EU anyway. It's not even real history.
 Jan Gaarni
04-05-2004, 6:36 AM
Originally posted by Johch Ai'oki
KotOR, IMHO, is not official SW history 4,000 years B.B.Y. (Before the Battle of Yavin) because it intersects in many ways what was already established as SW history. etc.....
You know, I hadn't thought of this before I read this, but I think you are very much right on this. I can't really remember anyone being named Darth earlier than 2000-1000 years BBY, not even as far back as the old Sith Empire. It has always only been Lord.

But who cares, damn fine game, and that's what it is, a game. :p
Even the first X-Wing game of 1993 has faults to it, like A-Wings BEFORE the battle of Yavin. :p
 Johch Ai'oki
04-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Well, JK2 doesen't really have a good storyline, and isn't technically a part of SW History due to the fact that the Valley of the Jedi's power had already been nulled when Kyle Katarn freed the souls of the trapped Jedi in the valley in Dark Forces 2, one of my favorite all-time SW games (I wish I had it again... I lost it!! *groan*). But you're right, it's a game. :)
 ET Warrior
04-07-2004, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Bah, It's all a load of EU anyway. It's not even real history.

Quoted because he's correct.

KotOR, IMHO, is not official SW history
It's ironic, because you're taking the word of story A over the word of story B just because A came first. But who's correct?

Correct answer...........NOBODY! It's all just a bunch of stories and NONE of it is official Star Wars history!
 Johch Ai'oki
04-08-2004, 1:37 AM
Maybe, but then does that stop me from nitpicking about the two EU stories established about the ancient Jedi Knights and Sith Lords 4,000 B.B.Y.? You may not care about what the story is and deem it unoficcial, and you may be right on unofficial, but you're going to have to do better than that if you think you can stop my opinions.
But I semi-agree with you. It isn't in the movies. *shrug*

Oh, and no hostility meant.
 ET Warrior
04-08-2004, 4:28 AM
And you talking about my inability to stop you debating will not stop me from pointing out the ironies :p :p
 Johch Ai'oki
04-09-2004, 1:54 AM
Well, a lot of ironies come and go in a lot of people's lives. :)

Ah well, back to the lightsabre topic. Hekx Noku!! Where are ya?! I need ya! :)
 guybroom
04-10-2004, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by Johch Ai'oki

Ah well, back to the lightsabre topic. Hekx Noku!! Where are ya?! I need ya! :)

1) good idea to get back to the thread topic!

2) Who is Hekx Noku? I can't see them anywear on this thread so far...

I have a quick question - Johch Ai'oki is talking about the EU, does Lucas himself gve the storyline etc for it/them? Because othewise we can only realy take the films as "true"
 lukeiamyourdad
04-10-2004, 6:16 PM
No he doesn't give any storyline to them. They just write something and then a bunch of people read it, Lucas looks at it(for like a sec) and then it's sent to wherever it will be.
 toenail1
04-11-2004, 1:53 AM
(I have not seen Ep3)

WHAT!?!?!?!?! you mean you havent seen a movie that isnt even done yet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

man, your behind on things buddy, we all saw it a good 5000 times by now

i always thought that you have seen a movie that isnt even done yet.... but i guess i am wrong
 disaster
04-11-2004, 2:57 AM
what kind of idiot thread is this?

everyone knows that red is bad and blue/green is good

even if you haven't seen star wars at all you'd know this

geez - I thought all of you star wars nerds would be smart

hence nerds there - I was thinking nerd=smart

but I guess not

the world is unbalanced!

and we shall all die - for I am disaster!
Page: 1 of 2