Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Space Battles?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ragnos
01-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Is there going to be space battles? like destroying a star destroyer or the :deathstar
 Hermie
01-18-2004, 10:57 AM
I think it would be hard, since you start without ship, so you would be flowing in space. and if you fixed that by starting in a hangar, there would still be gravity in space, which wouldnt be to good. but if it worked for RS, so……
 The_One
01-18-2004, 12:31 PM
The GameSpy interview - a link to which is provided in another thread - stated that there would be no space combat. The focus for the game is ground combat - however, on the plain of battle there will be Ties and X-Wings, though they did not state whether these would be flyable or not...
 ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 12:52 PM
I think that they should at least attempt to make a space battle, even JA would have had one. After all, this is a Star Wars game.

Imagine flying alongside Luke in the Death Star mission NOT on the Gamecube. :lol:

Perhaps they should try and revamp the space battles from the awful Battle for Naboo.

There's huge possibilities for something like this.
 The_One
01-18-2004, 12:55 PM
I think it's best done in another game. It's about time we had a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. With all the new Freelancer type space combat games, there are a world of possibilities. You could be a mercanary, and choose to do jobs for either the Empire or Rebellion...

Anyway, this is the wrong forum for discussion on space combat games.
 ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by The_One
I think it's best done in another game. It's about time we had a new X-Wing/Tie Fighter game. With all the new Freelancer type space combat games, there are a world of possibilities. You could be a mercanary, and choose to do jobs for either the Empire or Rebellion...

Anyway, this is the wrong forum for discussion on space combat games.

They could include air battles though. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard, look at BF1942's Coral Sea map. That's an airial battle and a lot of fun.
 Pie™
01-18-2004, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
I think it would be hard, since you start without ship, so you would be flowing in space. and if you fixed that by starting in a hangar, there would still be gravity in space, which wouldnt be to good. but if it worked for RS, so…… But you could still start in a mothership (star destroyer/mon calamari cruiser), like in The Battle Of Midway on BF 1942 :)
The GameSpy interview - a link to which is provided in another thread - stated that there would be no space combat. The focus for the game is ground combat - however, on the plain of battle there will be Ties and X-Wings, though they did not state whether these would be flyable or not... I don't hope you can fly X-Wings and/or Ties close to the ground... That would be like in SW:GB, it would just loose some realism flying an X-Wing to kill stormtroopers. Besides, where in the movies does this occur? Nowhere! So to be true to the movies Spacecrafts should only be available in space IMO... ;)
 Crazy_dog no.3
01-18-2004, 3:33 PM
I will be very suprised if they don't have air vehicles, because snowspeeders are central to the Battle of Hoth, and without them the Hoth map will be insanely unbalanced. Also they are garanteed (sp?) to be in the Geonosis map because in one or two of the interviews they said there will be Republic Gunships or something which I believe are those transport/ assualt aircraft in AoTC.

MMMPIE!!!- Why not have space vehicles? We've seen in the movies that not only can they fly in atmosphere (we've seen them take off and land, after all) and they can be used to attack ground targets (TIE bombers bombing the asteroids in ESB).
 Hermie
01-18-2004, 3:38 PM
well, if no space map will be included in the game, it will probably be a mod team doing it.
 swphreak
01-18-2004, 3:48 PM
They'll have some air vehicles, like X-Wings, TIEs, and others.

Also, if they did put the Republic Gunship in the game, it will be a pretty powerful ship. With 4 Composite Laser Beams, 8 A2A Rockets, 3 Anti-Personell Cannons, and the powerful Missiles.

And how will they do the vehicles in the Battle for Geonosis? They're all Droids.
 Hermie
01-18-2004, 3:52 PM
it is, 6 slots :D the clone army will kick SO much ass.
 ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
But you could still start in a mothership (star destroyer/mon calamari cruiser), like in The Battle Of Midway on BF 1942 :)

Yeah I can't see why they wouldn't do something like that. Midway was one of my favourites.

Space battles really shouldn't be too hard. All they need to ddo is make a few vehicles like the Aircraft Carrier in BF1942, attach a few planes and stars, and there you have it. ;)
 Hermie
01-18-2004, 3:56 PM
well, after all, this is supposed to be a FPS :p

but, as I said, if they decide not to include a space battle, there will be a mod for it.
 Pie™
01-18-2004, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3
MMMPIE!!!- Why not have space vehicles? We've seen in the movies that not only can they fly in atmosphere (we've seen them take off and land, after all) and they can be used to attack ground targets (TIE bombers bombing the asteroids in ESB). Because it would make for unbalanced combat...
I agree on the bombers (tie bomber and Y-Wing), but X-Wings on the ground just seems... How you say it? Stupid...:rolleyes:
 RoxStar
01-18-2004, 5:03 PM
If they had you try to commander (sp?) a ship then it would work.
 Alegis
01-18-2004, 6:05 PM
space battles: not a chance

I'm quite sure there will be a few air vehicles, and I dearly hope you'r e not supposed to destroy an at-at with firepower..but if they would do it with a snowspeeder it would be more like rogue squadron again, and what if a noob picks one? how many speeders will there be?
 ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 6:13 PM
Because it would make for unbalanced combat...
I agree on the bombers (tie bomber and Y-Wing), but X-Wings on the ground just seems... How you say it? Stupid...:rolleyes:

It wouldn't be that stupid. If they used X-Wings on Endor then the infantry could all hide in the trees. The X-Wings would crash into the trees like I always do on BF1942.

I reckon that they will have stuff like x-wings and tie-fighters in the atmosphere. They are in JA and SWGB so why not SWBF?
 The_One
01-18-2004, 6:31 PM
I think each side should have one flyable low altitude craft. But this should not be an X Wing or Tie Fighter. I think the closest they should get to those ships, would be for calling in air strikes or something. I believe this was mentioned in an interview.

I like the idea of a load of Tie Bombers bombing the trees on Yavin IV :D
 Pie™
01-18-2004, 6:46 PM
I think each side should have one flyable low altitude craft. But this should not be an X Wing or Tie Fighter. I think the closest they should get to those ships, would be for calling in air strikes or something. I believe this was mentioned in an interview.

I like the idea of a load of Tie Bombers bombing the trees on Yavin IV :D That kind of is what i was trying to say :)
mmmm...bombed ewoks......sweet [/homer] :D
 Hermie
01-18-2004, 6:57 PM
X-Wings and Ties have been confirmed.

:tie:

wok1
 ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 8:05 PM
That kind of is what i was trying to say :)
mmmm...bombed ewoks......sweet [/homer] :D

:lol: Also, Mmmmm....ewok flavoured donut....*gurgling noise*

I don't think they will include space battles. I think they'll do it the way that The_One said, because otherwise its going to be hard if you and your infantry friends keep on getting bombed to oblivion by impossible-to-hit-because-they're-so-fast x-wings and ties.

That was a major problem with BF1942 - people spawncamped in planes and there was nothing you could do about it short of attempt to kick them.
 The_One
01-18-2004, 8:24 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
X-Wings and Ties have been confirmed.

:tie:

wok1

Not confirmed playable though. They did mention the air strike thing in an interview - the GameSpy one - I believe.
 ExcelsioN
01-19-2004, 4:30 PM
Not confirmed playable though. They did mention the air strike thing in an interview - the GameSpy one - I believe.

I doubt they'll let you actually fly x-wings. I'm guessing that, because of LEC's recent console drive, it'll be more aimed at console gamers. :rolleyes:

Since you can't get many joysticks, and it'll be hard to control an X-Wing using a PS2 controller. So I'm guessing that they'll be in the game, but not useable.
 Doomtrooper
01-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Good. I don't want any fricking "air-aces" screwing up the game.
 swphreak
01-21-2004, 1:34 AM
I want to be able to pilot some aircraft. They just need to improve the handling of the controls. If they're just gonna have ground tanks, then it's just gonna be Clone Wars + CoD
 eastcoast2895
01-21-2004, 2:45 AM
i'm almost positive that x-wings and ties are going to be able to be flyable. according to the gamespy interview the x-wings and ties are available as "flyers". they also say that they try to balance "infantry, with vehicles, with flyers". also according to lucasarts's website, you can "use a variety of weapons and vehicles, including X-wings, snowspeeders and AT-ST’s." i'm really looking forward to being able to fly x-wings and ties and it seems the developers really are trying to balance everything. reading the gamespy interview it seems that balance is one of their main focuses. also some maps may make x-wings and ties useless with the tree cover. so bring em on.
 Pad
01-21-2004, 9:57 AM

I like the idea of a load of Tie Bombers bombing the trees on Yavin IV :D
Could be like with Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP where you could call in an airstrike as commander with pointing a spot with your goggles.

I think that would be cool but I also hope they keep the number of those air strike limited as it would decrease the funfactor when you always get killed by those airstrikes without even have seen the enemy
 ZBomber
01-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Pad
Could be like with Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP where you could call in an airstrike as commander with pointing a spot with your goggles.

I think that would be cool but I also hope they keep the number of those air strike limited as it would decrease the funfactor when you always get killed by those airstrikes without even have seen the enemy

Yeh, that would be fun if they could keep it under control. :)
 lukeiamyourdad
01-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Anyone who knows a bit about balance knows that RtCW air strikes were a nightmare. There was too much base camping with air strikes.

And now for all of you who can't stand having a simple X-Wing making a strafing, know that aircrafts have been balanced in BF1942 and are NOT flying at full speed when strafing(try strafing at 500 km/h).
The same applies here. I don't think any X-Wing or Tie fighter would try to fly at full speed making a strafing run(or its a kamikaze attack).

As for all of you who complaint about aces beating the living hell out of you when playing BF1942, that's nobody's fault if you can't fight...
 Astrotoy7
01-22-2004, 10:49 AM
The GameSpy interview - a link to which is provided in another thread...

......stated that there would be no space combat.

......The focus for the game is ground combat

I'm falling asleep already. Ah well I guess it will make the 1942 crowd happy....you guys who are also SW fans Im sure have been hanging for a good romp in the ole SW universe, replete with the orange xwing flight suit......

MTFBWYA
 The_One
01-22-2004, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
I'm falling asleep already. Ah well I guess it will make the 1942 crowd happy....you guys who are also SW fans Im sure have been hanging for a good romp in the ole SW universe, replete with the orange xwing flight suit......

MTFBWYA

Dude, this game is about ground combat - if you were expecting otherwise, then you are mistaken, and are best going off to another forum.

If I want Star Wars space combat I get X Wing Alliance out ;)
 Alegis
01-22-2004, 3:30 PM
I guess no air battles then ^^ I would rather have the flying vehicles as npcs as well
 tFighterPilot
01-23-2004, 3:18 PM
All I want is to be able to jump inside a Snow Speeder on Hoth.
 ZBomber
01-23-2004, 3:31 PM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot
All I want is to be able to jump inside a Snow Speeder on Hoth.

Snowspeeders are my least favorite vehicle in the SW universe. :p
 tFighterPilot
01-23-2004, 7:12 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Snowspeeders are my least favorite vehicle in the SW universe. :p Heathen!
 lukeiamyourdad
01-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Hey, nevertheless, you'll need a flight system if you want to play Hoth because NPC snowspeeders won't be very effective(well they might be better then a newbie pilot but still). If Hoth has controllable flyers, why should'nt aircrafts be on other maps too?
 ExcelsioN
01-24-2004, 9:40 AM
I just picked up the latest PC Gamer UK, and it has confirmed that X-Wings will be useable on more than one map (in the style of the BF1942 Spitfire).

Here's what they had to say:
"In any online shooter, the chance to rise above the melee. whether its in a WWII Spitfire in Battlefield 1942 or one of Halo's banshees, is a profoundly liberating experience...

There was also an extract from an interview:
"We're looking at each map and choosing which vehicles make most sense. Obviously, the X-Wing will be available on more than one map

Then later on:

Whereas Tatoinne is mostly desert , and its dominated by X-Wings and Tie-Fighters."

So what do you think of that?
 Pad
01-24-2004, 12:34 PM
[in denile] There will be no useable aircraft :D

For real, I still hope its going to be balanced so its still fun to play as infantery. If a map is dominated with aircraft I don think it would be that much playing as a little soldier. The less aircraft the better says I.
 tFighterPilot
01-24-2004, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by Pad
[in denile] There will be no useable aircraft :D

For real, I still hope its going to be balanced so its still fun to play as infantery. If a map is dominated with aircraft I don think it would be that much playing as a little soldier. The less aircraft the better says I. Says you what ever you want, aircraft are a very importent part of Star Wars :naboo: :tie: :x-wing:
 eastcoast2895
01-24-2004, 1:41 PM
i'm glad there are space fighters in the game. i don't think they'll be that bad because the only way to get a good shot would be from being low to the ground and not moving fast which would make them easy targets.
 The_One
01-24-2004, 3:44 PM
We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. Balance is the main consideration when it comes to including aircraft...
 TPM_Montross
01-26-2004, 8:34 PM
um, yea, if nebody says they dont want aircraft they clearly havent speant much time on bf1942, and also lucasarts is kinda modeling battlefront after battlefield, so i think air will play a large role as it does in bf

-Montross :jango2
 Pie™
01-27-2004, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by TPM_Montross
um, yea, if nebody says they dont want aircraft they clearly havent speant much time on bf1942, and also lucasarts is kinda modeling battlefront after battlefield, so i think air will play a large role as it does in bf But in battlefield the planes are supposed to be close to the ground.
In star wars the spaceships are meant for space combat :rolleyes:
 eastcoast2895
01-27-2004, 11:40 AM
x-wing near the ground doesn't seem so bad. the first rogue squadron had many levels with x-wings and ties near the ground and it never felt out of place. also except for bombs which probably have limited ammo, the lasers of the space fighters won't be effective against infantry if they don't have splash damage.
 T10
01-31-2004, 1:20 PM
Well, what someone won't make, someone will mod. But really, only secondary starfighter weapons should have splash. All ships should be flyable. People on the ground will get concussion missles probably. Republic Gunships will kick. I will be happy.

Don't be scared of low flying X-Wings. Few will have the skill to stop one from hitting the ground while strafing. Laugh as they crash.
 ExcelsioN
01-31-2004, 2:07 PM
I can't see why X-Wings should be restrained to space. There's plenty of times when space ships have battles on the ground. Look at the Obi-wan vs. Jango Fett battle in EpII.
 T10
01-31-2004, 8:27 PM
Um, what Obi-wan vs. Jango fett battle with starfighters? If ya mean where boba turns the ship and fires that lasers, well, yeah, but...well, the ship is stationary. Fighters in Battlefront probably won't be like that.

Oh, and, the ships have repulsorlifts, so, speeders will be hard to crash into the ground.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-01-2004, 12:07 AM
well X-Wingsstill can crash into tree ;)
 Arc-453
10-02-2005, 6:33 PM
uh dudes r we talkin bout swbf2? cuz i no in swbf1 theirs no space battles but their defiently is gonna space battles in #2 www.swbattlefront2.com)
Page: 1 of 1