Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Auto-Caulking

Page: 1 of 1
 AKPiggott
01-03-2004, 1:05 PM
Just returned to Radiant after a spell of six or seven months.

I remember that there was a function that automatically caulked hidden surfaces. Was it a plug-in or a built-in GtkRadiant function? Either way, I can't find it anywhere.
 Leslie Judge
01-03-2004, 1:19 PM
In the newer Radiants there is a plugin (which has a button on the plugins toolbar) caulk selection. That's all I know about.
 wedge2211
01-03-2004, 3:20 PM
I think this is a q3map2 function rather than a Radiant function, and it only works on structural brushes.
 GothiX
01-03-2004, 5:03 PM
The caulk function Leslie refers to caulks the entire brush.
 Leslie Judge
01-03-2004, 6:01 PM
True.
 Lil Killa
01-04-2004, 5:18 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
I think this is a q3map2 function rather than a Radiant function, and it only works on structural brushes.

hmmm I read somewhere on the Splash Damage forums or on the list of updated features somwhere that the option was removed due to compatability or something like that. (maybe it wasn't working as intended) I could be wrong though... However... My brushes have not been caulked with the latest verssions of Q3map2 (my test maps usualy aren't)
 Leslie Judge
01-04-2004, 7:24 AM
Even Raven Software wasn't worrying about caulking every hidden face. Q3Map2 does a good job there and the few face which might sneak through can't be a big problem after all.

Plus you can run through the map at the end with r_showtris 1 to if there are hidden faces rendered and caulk them yourself.
 WadeV1589
01-04-2004, 1:51 PM
You should never have to ask about caulking if you map properly to start :p

The original and still best method to map is to build the structure totally in caulk covered brushes then texture visible faces ONLY.
 UniKorn
01-05-2004, 10:04 AM
In one of the older versions of gtkradiant there was an autocaulking option, but it was removed later on. I don't really know why, I never used it myself so I dont know how well it worked.
Page: 1 of 1