Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reasons why I support Server Mods

Page: 1 of 1
 cwpippin
12-28-2003, 9:11 PM
I have read a lot lately on "Stopping Admin Abuse". I see that the largest proponent of this message is Kurgan. I respect his opinions but I am concerned that we are loosing site to what the issue is with these types of mods.

First.. Kurgan, Please understand I am not attacking you or your opinions but, I just think that by now we all know your stance on Admin Mods. I just wanted to state that I for one have ran a successful JK2 server for ages and now run a JA server. I recently shut down the JK2 due to the lack of interest lately.

I feel Admin mods are NOT the bain of the game. Its up to the server Admin to insure that he/she does not abuse those additional features in the mod/game.

I for one have grown tired of the laming a$$holes that join your server only to run off all regular players because of one thing or another. I.E. Rude behaviour, cursing, chat killing (if that is one of your no-no's).

Too many times have I had people (kids) doing this and for a time being people (regulars) stopped playing on my servers because of this.

Nothing is more annoying than to have no control over your server and the rules you are trying to uphold for your type of game play.

Unfortunately the game engine that JK2, JA run under does not have better features in the game itself to ban based on client number. I loved Tribes and Tribes2 for this feature.

Case in point.. I had a CHILD join the server. He must have learned some of his mommies and daddies BIG curse words and decided to use them while he was on my server. My rules at that time was that we were a family server so NO CURSING. I asked him to stop, he did not. I warned him to stop, he did not. I kicked him and he came back. I banned his IP and he reconnected with a new IP. This went on for days.

The regular players who had been online with their children playing stopped coming back due to this. We could no longer play as we liked and the game started to suffer. About this time is when the Mods started coming out for JK2. I installed one of them (adminMod is was) and I regained some control over my server.

I made that persons life hell while they were on my server. Eventually they stopped coming back and I was able to get my server, my little piece of the JK2 universe, back to my interested level of play. And.. my regular players started coming back.

But.. I will admit that for a period of time, because of a few of these situations, I abused my admin rights and used my additional abilities on anyone that slightly pissed me off on MY server.

I feel its not the Mods that are necessarily this issue here. Its more of the maturity of the Admin and the desires of the admin on his server. Basically if you do not like the rules the server is running under.. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Start your own server or go to another server. These servers are for peoples enjoyment but are not a GOD GIVEN RIGHT for any player who joins to have them run a certain way or with a certain level of abilities.

For most admins.. These servers are an investment in a game that they have taken a large interest in. These machines are dedicated PC's and/or Server Class machines in their homes or outsourced in a co-location area.

They are incurring costs such as rental, bandwidth charges, ISP fees, hardware maintenance, initial hardware costs etc.. In other words.. They are costing them money. They have a right to defend that cost to how they see fit to match the level of their gameplay they desire on THEIR server.

So.. I guess what I am saying in this long statement is.. Stop blaming the Mods.. Its like blaming the ammunition for a handgun.. It still takes someone to pull the trigger. Its all up to the person behind the console, behind the server and their maturity level.

So.. As the name if my thread states.. I support Server mods. I feel they give some control back to the Admin. The person who has an investment into the game for no reason other than to give enjoyment to individuals who also play the game.

Well those are my reasons..
;)
 MasteR PudsLiG
12-29-2003, 10:41 AM
One thing on my server that isn't tolerated is verbal abuse, but other than that the only thing i strugle with is keeping the chiter-chaters out and the people that just idle and do nothing, mainly people that scream lamer everytime somone frags them and allways have the saber down expecting not to be killed(which btw they get slaughtered if there saber is down on my server:cool: ) , i would love for you to tell all the "lamers" to come to my server, because i find people that are called "lamers" are ones trying to play, my server is where they can do that, and many other servers like kurgons server and the chop shop :D
 |GG|Carl
12-29-2003, 2:03 PM
I'm with Kurgan and MasteR PudsLiG on this one.

First of all, I think "laming" is just a stupid expression created by some losers who couldn't stand getting killed by better players.

The only reason that I think someone should get kicked from a server is if he/she uses offensive language, flame other people, call people things etc.
So, does amslapping, amkilling (or whatever those comands are) help?
Absolutely not!

Case in point.. I had a CHILD join the server. He must have learned some of his mommies and daddies BIG curse words and decided to use them while he was on my server. My rules at that time was that we were a family server so NO CURSING. I asked him to stop, he did not. I warned him to stop, he did not. I kicked him and he came back. I banned his IP and he reconnected with a new IP. This went on for days.
I've never met someone like that guy, so I guess there are quite few of 'em. Most guys gives up after getting kicked like 3 times. I guess you were just unlucky that this guy would join your server.
 gotcha8903
12-29-2003, 5:50 PM
maybe in the next jedi knight they'll through in a filter for honor/non-honor servers.

I've never met someone like that guy, so I guess there are quite few of 'em. Most guys gives up after getting kicked like 3 times. I guess you were just unlucky that this guy would join your server.

exactly.

as for the admin abuse, you are right that it is up to the admin not to abuse his/her authority on the server. but why give someone the ability to ruin everyones gameplay?

IMO xmod does a great job giving an admin power over the server while not giving abusive powers. muting a player would take care of cursing or flaming. protecting a player would stop "laming". heck it even has honor code enforcement.
 cwpippin
12-29-2003, 9:33 PM
Originally posted by gotcha8903
IMO xmod does a great job giving an admin power over the server while not giving abusive powers. muting a player would take care of cursing or flaming. protecting a player would stop "laming". heck it even has honor code enforcement.

I now run Xmod on my server for this exact reason. My main issue has always been verbal (text) abuse for all other players. I ocassionally take offense to someone who chat kills. But.. well thats me and my rules.. Its my server so.. its my rules. ;)

But I agree with all of you.. My point here is.. Mods have a place.. Why?.. because all servers admins are different. Each servers place in this JK universe is different and they were brought to life for different reasons.

So.. to me.. Blaming the mods or asking for mods to be banned is not the answer. The answer is simple. Play on the servers you like and support the Admins of those servers. Forget about the ones you do not like. Why waste your energy.

Thanks All for your comments and I appreciate not flaming me. I really love these forums and I respect the people who use support and run them.

Keep up the great work!
 cwpippin
12-29-2003, 9:36 PM
Originally posted by MasteR PudsLiG
i find people that are called "lamers" are ones trying to play, my server is where they can do that, and many other servers like kurgons server and the chop shop :D

I wish this was my experience. I find that the ones "I" call lamers have only joined my server to be abusive and rude. I welcome new players to our server and as a matter of fact we setup a "private" server so that we can have training sessions with new people and for advanced people to train us.

Thanks for your comments and input!
 cwpippin
12-29-2003, 9:47 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Carl
I'm with Kurgan and MasteR PudsLiG on this one.

First of all, I think "laming" is just a stupid expression created by some losers who couldn't stand getting killed by better players.

The only reason that I think someone should get kicked from a server is if he/she uses offensive language, flame other people, call people things etc.
So, does amslapping, amkilling (or whatever those comands are) help?
Absolutely not!

Lets agree to disagree on the use of "AM" admin commands. Again.. I do not use them unless for fun with friends or against someone who is being offensive. I feel they do help, but again.. thats just me and my rules on my server.

Unfortunately I have seen too many of these types of players. I can tell you that it became soo bad that I had to start banning them on my router by IP and/or IP range. I even had 2 attack my website and attempt DDOS attacks on my servers. I had to take it all the way to the ISP with logs of the attacks.

So.. Whatever helps keep the peace.. I am for it. Again.. Not to sound like a broken record.. but it is my server, my investment and its up and running for people to enjoy.. Not for a handful to take over and be rude on.

Anyhow.. Thanks for your input and I appreciate you comments.

Have a great New Year!;)
 MasteR PudsLiG
12-30-2003, 10:33 AM
ARG!!! triple post delete me
 MasteR PudsLiG
same as above ^:mad:
 MasteR PudsLiG
If all admins was as mature as you seem to be, then there wouldn't been an issue with admin abuse, but most people playing are young and imature, your server may not bee home to abuse, but alot of others are, and people who go to your server just to ruin your idea of fun, well deserve to be kicked, but i doubt every single person who ever broke your server rules was doing it 100% to ruin your fun, alot of people have in the server rules "NO LAMING", well im not saying your server does, but many people playing for the first time are really excited and sees that rule wont have a clue what it means, and they will just go ahead and kill people they see.
 cwpippin
12-30-2003, 1:54 PM
I agree.. I guess many admins are less than mature. Further reflecting on what my server rules are.. I guess I have a "No Rules" server. I too run a Xmod server with Saber Only. Only force I have on is saber attack, saber defend and jump.

My only RULE is to be polite. So.. I guess in many ways I run a 'No Rules" server.

Thanks for your input and I appreciate your opinion. Have a Happy New Year.
 gotcha8903
12-30-2003, 2:23 PM
*gets pen and paper*
"topic: reasons why i support server mods, posts: 11, personal record broken: first jedi knight opinion thread that doesnt have twenty flame posts"
Page: 1 of 1