Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why did obi-wan konobi let himself die when he was battling with Darth Vader?

Page: 1 of 1
 SITH 1000
12-27-2003, 9:09 PM
well i don't know what to say:p but i do know the awnsers to the poll so vote before it's over. So do it quickly:sign2: :marx1: :lsduel: :duel: :slsaber:
 Mini_k
12-28-2003, 12:10 AM
Luke had to escape, so the jedi could carry on their legacy...
 daring dueler
12-29-2003, 12:17 PM
i beleive that it was his time to go.....even if he did fight vader, he would liove or die, 2 outcomes, if he were to live, he could guide luke, if he died the same, yet he wouldnt have to be there per say, since he was a spirit and a voice, he was powerful through luke. plus it made the end of ROTJ cool what with his tranparent blue figure.:D
 Lynk Former
12-29-2003, 6:16 PM
"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
 Jedi_Monk
12-31-2003, 2:57 PM
I personally think that Obi-Wan has become so embittered by the fact that his Apprentice wiped out the Jedi Order that he's using Luke to erradicate his failure. Think about it: Obi-Wan told Luke Vader murdered his real father, then lets Luke see Vader strike the killing blow that removes Luke's second father-figure, then when Luke learns the truth, Obi-Wan tries to dehumanize Anakin by saying he's more machine than man, trying to discourage Luke from seeking his father's savation.
 leXX
01-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

I think this has a lot to do with it. Obi knows he can't win the fight so he accepts his death and uses the force to help Luke.
 Jedi Luke
01-04-2004, 1:52 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former

Exactly. This way he could aid Luke.
 Sam Fisher
01-04-2004, 12:59 PM
:wstupid:

Yep, that really is all... But I really don'y know how he became more powerful, he was invisible! :p
 Jedi Luke
01-13-2004, 2:46 AM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
:wstupid:

Yep, that really is all... But I really don'y know how he became more powerful, he was invisible! :p

Only to those who do not posses the power of the force. That means only 2 people (Luke and Leia) can see obi wan. See? not completely invisible ;).
 Samnmax221
01-28-2004, 8:52 PM
Kindahard to figure out
 LukeKatarn
03-24-2004, 12:21 PM
OK the reason 1 to let luke escape 2 to guide luke in the future to show him that even if he dies he is still there to people who are strong in the force and are close to him(LOL) 3so he can become one with the force!

this is all my opinion!:D
 dark jedi 8
03-24-2004, 9:14 PM
this is kinda old, but oh well. Obi knew the only chance the millennium falcon had at escaping was to keep vader preocupied and take the stormies attention off the falcon and on the duel. plus what LeXX, Lynk Former, and daring dueler said sound good.:cool:
 ET Warrior
03-30-2004, 4:59 AM
My take on things..

Obi-Wan has had a LOT of time alone in the desert to ponder things and come to terms with understanding the prophesy. He realizes that Anakin IS in fact the chosen one who will bring balance to the force, but he has not fulfilled his destiny as of yet.

Then Obi-Wan sees (either through deduction or perhaps visions from the force, who can tell with these jedi ;)) that Luke is vital to helping Anakin fulfill his destiny. So Obi-Wan knows that he cannot kill Vader, or he cannot bring balance to the force. Furthermore, as a spirit he will be able to help Luke become a jedi and turn Vader back to the light.
 Isair
04-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Well if Obi-Wan didn't sacrifice himself, he wouldn't be able to aid Luke in the final moments on the attack on the death star. If he hadn't done that, Luke might have missed and Yavin four could have been totally destroyed. Maybe in a way Obi-Wan forsaw this event.
 Darth Talliusc
04-29-2004, 4:32 PM
for the same reason that obi wan only appeared to luke when luke NEEDED info past ep4.

his track record as a teacher or even a jedi kinda stinks. he knows that to teach luke is to put him in a similar situation that drove anakin to vader in the first place. Obi wan was protecting luke from the dark side and also polarizing luke AGAINST the dark side.

by befriending luke first, and letting vader kill him, luke was thrown into hating (or at least resolving to bring down) the empire.

Obi finally came to terms with his own limitations and accepted that luke would (to steal a phrase from yoda) Do or do not.

and as an added bonus he may have begun the rekindling process of anakin skywalker. alot of vaders hate must have left with obi-wans body and would definitely bring back memories of his past.

.... or maybe he just really REALLY wanted to talk yoda and couldnt wait to escape and fly there (after all he hates flying right?).

*disregard the last answer as the ramblings of a fool*
 Johch Ai'oki
04-29-2004, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
My take on things..

Obi-Wan has had a LOT of time alone in the desert to ponder things and come to terms with understanding the prophesy. He realizes that Anakin IS in fact the chosen one who will bring balance to the force, but he has not fulfilled his destiny as of yet.

Then Obi-Wan sees (either through deduction or perhaps visions from the force, who can tell with these jedi ;)) that Luke is vital to helping Anakin fulfill his destiny. So Obi-Wan knows that he cannot kill Vader, or he cannot bring balance to the force. Furthermore, as a spirit he will be able to help Luke become a jedi and turn Vader back to the light.

I agree. Also, I've pulled out some EU on Luke's profile in the SW Database:

" Accompanying Princess Leia on a diplomatic mission to the Circarpous system, Luke first came face to face with Darth Vader. The two were in pursuit of a powerful Force relic, the Kaiburr crystal, and dueled in the ancient Temple of Pomojema. Guided by the spirit of Obi-Wan, Luke held Vader off, and even managed to sever the Dark Lord's mechanical arm. Stunned, Vader tumbled down a deep pit, and their duel was interrupted."

This is a good example. It also ties with how Obi-Wan couldn't interfere with Luke dueling Vader on Bespin.
 Darth-Bane
05-02-2004, 9:57 PM
I find it funny
In episode 2, when they're walking into the bar, Obi-Wan says "Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?" :D
 kipperthefrog
05-05-2004, 9:53 PM
i looked at the poll results! it is a landslide vid\ctory if i ever saw one
 Deeo
05-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, yeah, I can't really add to this besides saying what that other guy said. If Obi-Wan did not sacrifice himself and allow Vader to kill him then Luke would have gotten involved and possibly be killed there and the Jedi forever doomed. Obi-Wan also mentioned that "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can ever imagine" line I think he meant that with his death he will be freed of his material limitations and allow him to guide Luke through the Force strengthing Luke in its ways and encouraging his studies and eventually lead him down the path to begin the New Jedi Order.
 kipperthefrog
05-07-2004, 8:36 AM
Good point! the reason they killed obi wan in the first place was to bring him back as a blue ghost! that way they show that there is MORE than the physical! the spirits of good and evil are guiding us!
 Sead the Darkes
05-14-2004, 7:14 AM
I think that Obi just let Vader kill him to have a better opportunity ti guide Luke as One with the Force.
 Darth-Bane
05-16-2004, 4:21 PM
It was good :)
 sith_master2000
05-16-2004, 5:31 PM
I think that Obi just let Vader kill him to have a better opportunity ti guide Luke as One with the Force.

No no, you got it wrong, Obi-Wan just wanted to make cry like a baby! Still he may have wanted to guide Luke. :slsaber:
 joesdomain
05-23-2004, 4:00 AM
Obi-wan sacrificed himself in order for Luke, Leia and R2 could get to Yavin 4. Plus, maybe to give Luke a reason not to like Vader.
Page: 1 of 1