Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Desert War BETA 1.5

Page: 1 of 1
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-17-2003, 5:45 PM
STEP 1:go to pcgamemods.com and download Desert War BETA 1.5!

STEP 2:Go Online and play it with people! Lots of people! Thouroughly!

STEP 3:Come back and give any ideas or suggestions for me to add/change you would like to see done.
----------------------------------------------
Please i need people to beta this for me and give me some feedback. give me what you would like to see in it and ill add it

please NO replys like "this sucks, my suggestion is make a new map" or "add mor eyekandy" if you suggest something, BE SPECIFIC like "add a sandcrawler" or "change the switches so they make noise like a beep when you press them".

thanks!
 GothiX
12-17-2003, 6:04 PM
ter·rain, n.
- An area of land;
- A particular geographic area; a region: a guide who knows this terrain well.
-The surface features of an area of land.

That specific enough then, dammit?
 Pnut_Man
12-17-2003, 6:05 PM
I looked over the map and these were my initial impressions:

1) Poor architecture
2) Desperate need of more textures.

It's a good first attempt. I appreciate that you tried balancing out some of the ships, but this just seems like a 'bunch of features stuffed into one' kinda deal. I'll post more comments once i've actually tested the file out itself.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-17-2003, 6:23 PM
gothic, i already told you, no terrain. stop it. terrain would interfere with the vehicles, besides, its a desrt plateau/mesa, its supposed to be flat.

anyon kn ow how i can add a sandscrawler?
 GothiX
12-17-2003, 7:10 PM
Where the hell did you ever find a flat desert? Tell me, so I can wake you from that dream.

And sandcrawlers are built with brushes.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-17-2003, 8:52 PM
Texas, You arrogant Fool!

Desert - (deh zurr tuh) - any large, extremely dry area of land with sparse vegetation. It is one of the Earth's major types of ecosystems, supporting a community of distinctive plants and animals specially adapted to the harsh environment.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica .com
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=127607&tocid=0&query=desert&ct=)

Mesa - (may suh) - (Spanish: “table”), flat-topped tableland with one or more steep sides, common in the Colorado Plateau regions of the United States; a butte is similar but smaller. Both are formed by erosion; during denudation, or downcutting and stripping, areas of harder rock in a plateau act as flat protective caps for portions of underlying land.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica .com
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=53501&tocid=0&query=mesa&ct=)
 GothiX
12-18-2003, 9:06 AM
Did you look at the pictures with those links? Did you see the hills? Good.

Did you look at your map? Did you find hills? No? So make them.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-18-2003, 1:10 PM
its on a mesa! its flat! hills would interfere with the vehicles, and make the compile time go forever!
 The Truthful Liar
12-18-2003, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
Did you look at the pictures with those links? Did you see the hills? Good.

Did you look at your map? Did you find hills? No? So make them.

Let the creator make his map. He's not your bitch.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-18-2003, 6:44 PM
YEAH!;P
 mknote
12-18-2003, 7:01 PM
I'm ready to begin work on the map file. Just PM me when it's up. If you can't upload it where I said on pcgamemods, upload it where you can. I should have it fixed by New Year's at the latest.

MK
 GothiX
12-18-2003, 7:10 PM
I never said he was "my bitch". I just hate it when people don't listen to other, mroe professional editors. (I'm not referring to myself, but to Sine Nomen and Vedder, in this case.)
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-18-2003, 7:27 PM
no, you just hate it when people dont listen to YOU, or try to tell you something and then you DEMAND that the do it YOUR way. now shut up and stop talking, because each time you open your mouth, you prove you ignorance.
 mknote
12-18-2003, 7:38 PM
Guys, GUYS! Stop this bickering before a mod comes in and closes this thread. Who cares what somebody ment? Is it worth getting banned? Just my $0.02.

MK
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-18-2003, 8:59 PM
youre right mk, ill stop.

gothikx, im not adding terrain because:

1. it would interfere with the vehicles, especially with the speed that the speeder bike goes at.

2. its set on a mesa, which is supposed to be flat.

3. i tried adding terrain already, it just throws the compile time to heck and it never finishes compiling (i waited 2 days for it to finish, and it still hadnt even gotten past the first part).

that is why im not adding terrain.

(thank you for the input tho)
 Eldritch
12-19-2003, 2:01 AM
Terrain shouldn't take that long to compile if done properly. If it's taking an extremely long time, perhaps you've done something wrong.

On a side note - even a Mesa is not completely flat. Nothing that's naturally made truly is. You don't have to make huge rolling hills as a Mesa is supposed to be mostly flat, but some small slight variations would not cause any problems with the speeder. Other maps have used terrain in combination with speeders and they worked just fine (even the more extreme terrain).

Also, I don't think you can ask for ideas and suggestions and then get pissed when someone makes one you don't like. It's a fair point. Flat looks fake - you can do small terrain without interfering with the vehicles.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-19-2003, 12:40 PM
i tweaked the speeder to go reEELy fast tho, like super blindingly fast. i tried making small terrain, but it still kiled the compile time, and also, messed with the bases because the brushes of the terrain would stick up thru the floor of the base.
 GothiX
12-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Then you flatten the terrain there..

Also, the super-fast speeders don't improve gameplay, because they're hard to hit.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-19-2003, 12:59 PM
yeah, maybe i should slow it down a bit. what would be a realistic speed that would be slow enough?
 Eldritch
12-19-2003, 3:11 PM
How about the default speed?
 wedge2211
12-19-2003, 3:22 PM
Make sure any terrain brushes you have are detail brushes. Also make sure they have caulk on their unseen faces. If they poke up through other brushes, move or clip them! I've compiled huge terrains in under 10 minutes, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong.

I don't think that terrain would interfere with the vehicles, so much as make piloting them more interesting. :) Force people to steer a little. Provide things to dodge behind. You know.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-19-2003, 3:36 PM
the default speed is too slow. it takes like 5 mins to get to the other base with the default speed.
 Eldritch
12-20-2003, 12:40 PM
It can't literally take 5 minutes to drive to the other base.

Besides, think of it this way - if it's just a flat area, what cover does that provide from enemy fire? Someone good with a gun could just take them out on that long, flat stretch. And if you were to compensate for that by making the speeders ultra fast, it makes the gameplay unbalanced.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-20-2003, 4:48 PM
my map takes up the ENTIRE gtk radiant grid. 5min might be a little exaggerated, more like 3 i guess...
 thelastaod
12-25-2003, 9:00 PM
the maps too big
 __CKY__
12-28-2003, 12:18 AM
Yea sounds to big.
 Lil Killa
12-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by SD_Radical_Ed
my map takes up the ENTIRE gtk radiant grid.

Guess you don't check the map in the 3D view that often...

Also (suggestion not bitching) something extra like some crates or some downed vehicles on the "mesa" as Eldritch does have a point with having cover. Also a garison type of base in the center might be kind of cool :)
 Casperhead
12-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Okay hatchyack Yes thats what you call your self on massassi. Well I have to tell you something PUT SOME F***KING TERRAIN IN! The sandcrawler is not a model it was made with brushes. I havent seen a flat dessert if I did I would know the world has turned up side down. Who cares if the compile time is long. Spend 2 days compiling it if you must.
 Lil Killa
12-30-2003, 3:44 AM
Originally posted by Casperhead
Okay hatchyack Yes thats what you call your self on massassi. Well I have to tell you something PUT SOME F***KING TERRAIN IN! The sandcrawler is not a model it was made with brushes. I havent seen a flat dessert if I did I would know the world has turned up side down. Who cares if the compile time is long. Spend 2 days compiling it if you must.

Yelling isn't going to get any in any faster....
 Casperhead
12-30-2003, 6:33 PM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
Yelling isn't going to get any in any faster....

It helps.........
 wedge2211
12-30-2003, 8:15 PM
......to get yourself banned.
 GothiX
12-30-2003, 8:36 PM
<3 Wedge[numbers]
 Anakin
12-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Dont push them Casper....
 Anakin
12-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Dont push them Casper....
 GothiX
12-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Look I have little respect for you map review scum!
Don't test my patience.

That was a flame towards the most talented group of people together, nothing to do with the topic. Go shame yourself, Casper.

Now for the map, I figured you could do with some nice buildings in it, could give an edge in defense, also.
 Casperhead
12-31-2003, 7:42 PM
No My flame goes to the mapping higharchy. Or the higharchy you map revierers make mapping. Now I'am saying I have little respect for map review scum don't push my buttons. Oh and don't wrooy I'am not flamming right now you don't want to see me flame.
 Business_Eskimo
12-31-2003, 9:06 PM
flame n.

Informal. An insulting criticism or remark meant to incite anger, as on a computer network.

No flaming, hmm?

Okay hatchyack Yes thats what you call your self on massassi. Well I have to tell you something PUT SOME F***KING TERRAIN IN!
You bastards
...you idiots...
...I'd rather be castrated before having anything to do with map review scum as your self.
...you map review morons...
I've seen boxes with better architecture...
And my favorite:
I diden't get banned for harassing other members you dumbass.

And that's just a few.
 Business_Eskimo
12-31-2003, 9:17 PM
Ah..you. I never liked you either so I woulden't be talking when you make ****ty maps and yet you hang out with map review losers

What does that have to do with my last post?

On a side note, you haven't seen any of my maps as I have released none to the public.
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 9:41 PM
Ah..you. I never liked you either so I woulden't be talking when you make ****ty maps and yet you hang out with map review losers

Map-Review staff aren't a hierachy, we don't care how good a mapper you are. Business_Eskimo is intelligent and likable, hence good company, I really couldn't care less how good he is at mapping. The only thing I personally don't like about you, the reason I removed you from the MR forums, is that you threaten people almost every post. I don't care how good you are at mapping either, if you didn't act like some kind of gang member, threatening everyone who "crosses your path" then there wouldn't be a problem. Seriously, your behavoir is out of control.
 SD_Radical_Ed
01-05-2004, 1:40 PM
STOP IT!! STOP IT!! STOP IT!!! i like the idea of some downed ships. ill do dat. sounds cool.
 Thrawn42689
02-03-2004, 2:58 AM
And some terrain! :p
 Casper
02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Agreed with Thawn42689. :D
 LightNinja
02-08-2004, 6:31 PM
Agree Casper
Page: 1 of 1